Driving Question

marietta-stitch

Hello all. I am driving down to Disney in a few months and wanted to know what is the quickest way to get to Disney from 75 Southbound? Is it easier to take the turnpike all the way to I-4 or cut over somewhere? Any ideas?

DisneyDragon

According to one of my route optimization tools, the best practical route is:

- I-75 to the Turnpike
- Tpke to SR19, and go SW (turn right) for 1/2 mile
- SR19 to US-27 and go East (turn left) - will turn south
- US-27 to US-192 and go East (there's a ramp)
- US-192 East to World Drive

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

3fordisney

According to one of my route optimization tools, the best practical route is:

- I-75 to the Turnpike
- Tpke to SR19, and go SW (turn right) for 1/2 mile
- SR19 to US-27 and go East (turn left) - will turn south
- US-27 to US-192 and go East (there's a ramp)
- US-192 East to World Drive

Hope that helps.

This is the route we take. I haven't found an easier way. Whatever you do, avoid I-4 :eek: . The tolls are definitely worth not getting on I-4. If anyone else has a better route than this one, please share! We were looking to see if there was a better one than this one.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

If coming down I-75 and the turnpike, I definitely recommend the new "Western Way." It is a great road and you avoid a ton of traffic.

I'll second that. We just went down to WDW the second week in March from Canada traveling along the I-75. We stopped at the Florida Welcome Centre or whatever it was and asked someone in there what the quickest route was from there. Our map from AAA had construction happening close to WDW, so we wanted an alternate route and she told us about the Western Way. Nice, new roads with practically little to no traffic when we hit it. Took us right into WDW in no time flat. Will have to remember it for when we take our next trip down there in 2 years.

Upvote 0

JustPlainBill

Can someone tell me what and where the "Western Way" road is? I can't find it on any of my maps. Does it have an alternate name or number? Do you catch it off the Florida Turnpike? I haven't been to Florida in almost 20 years.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Can someone tell me what and where the "Western Way" road is? I can't find it on any of my maps. Does it have an alternate name or number? Do you catch it off the Florida Turnpike? I haven't been to Florida in almost 20 years.

Like I said, the lady at the Florida Welcome Centre said that Western Way was a new, quicker road to WDW. You get to Western Way either by taking the 441 to the 429 Toll Highway and then head south or by way of the Florida Turnpike (use Exit 267A to get on the 429 Toll Highway). Either way, you head South down the 429 until you come to Western Way, exit 8 I believe. You are coming in from the west as opposed to the east from the 4.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0

csm7030

Any good suggestions for avoiding I-4 from 95 South? Driving from D.C. in August. Last time we drove we got caught in the vortex of hell that is I-4.

As crazy as it sounds, I drove back and forth from Northern Virginia to Celebration for about a year due to my job with the federal gov't and my wife's with the state of Florida, and never had any problems with I-4. Maybe it was the times that I was getting down there and leaving, but it was always smooth to and from 95. We still try to make it down about 6 times a year and still take I-95 to I-4 and haven't encountered any problems.

Upvote 0

LeeSeeBabe

The last time My boyfriend and I took the Western Way was at MK's firework time. During the day you can see the castle, the globe, the hat, and a couple of hotels in the far off distance to the right.

Well, we hit perfect timing to see MK's fireworks from this distance, it was absolutely breathtaking. Western Way is the Way to go!

Upvote 0

JustPlainBill

Like I said, the lady at the Florida Welcome Centre said that Western Way was a new, quicker road to WDW. You get to Western Way either by taking the 441 to the 429 Toll Highway and then head south or by way of the Florida Turnpike (use Exit 267A to get on the 429 Toll Highway). Either way, you head South down the 429 until you come to Western Way, exit 8 I believe. You are coming in from the west as opposed to the east from the 4.

Hope this helps!
Thanks...after reading your post I went to "google maps" and I found western way just as you described. Mapquest doesn't show the route at all, at least I couldn't find it, it must be really new. Based on this info I will revise my original route and take this one, I wasn't aware that I-4 was that bad now, it was a breeze back in 1990, at least how I remember it.
Thanks again, you probably saved me a lot of time and aggravation!

Upvote 0

sbkline

So what's wrong with I-4? I don't recall any problems with it on our previous trips. Is it heavy traffic? Construction? Something else?

Upvote 0

Peaches Magee

Definatley avoid I-4. I come up from south FL and we take the turnpike and get off at the Osceola Exit and miss ALL that crazy traffic!
Turnpike South....

Take the OSCEOLA PARKWAY exit- EXIT 249.
DART BLVD becomes W OSCEOLA PKWY / CR-522 W (Portions toll).

Merge onto N POINCIANA BLVD.

Turn SLIGHT LEFT onto FL-536 W / WORLD CENTER DR. Continue to follow FL-536 W.

Take the ramp toward MAGIC KINGDOM / MAGIC KINGDOM RESORTS / FORT WILDERNESS.

Stay STRAIGHT to go onto N WORLD DR.

Turn LEFT onto W SEVEN SEAS DR.

We got there soo much faster when avoiding I-4, the traffic on Osceola wasnt bad, and last time we went we got up there at like 9:00am, when it's usually rush hour, and no problems. Hope this helps.
Have fun! Safe travels!
:wave:

Upvote 0

Tigerdaly

You could always try

Interstate 75 onto Turnpike south
turnpike onto Highway 27
Highway 27 onto Highway 192 and into World Drive from the west.

Other than Clermont you are going straight in.

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Thanks...after reading your post I went to "google maps" and I found western way just as you described. Mapquest doesn't show the route at all, at least I couldn't find it, it must be really new. Based on this info I will revise my original route and take this one, I wasn't aware that I-4 was that bad now, it was a breeze back in 1990, at least how I remember it.
Thanks again, you probably saved me a lot of time and aggravation!

Glad I could help. The main reason the lady at the Welcome Centre told us to try that route was because of some construction going on down there (not sure if it involved the I-4 or not), but I am glad we listened to her. I know Western Way wasn't around 2 years ago when we went. She did say it was a fairly new way to go. Nothing but smooth sailing all the way to Pop Century on it too.

Upvote 0

spike595

I would definately avoid the Hwy 27/ 192 route. I drive the turnpike to Disney ALOT, and always take Western Way. Even though it's a toll road it's worth it. Hwy 27 gets really congested at times and 192 is a nightmare most of the time. Using WW I rarely see other cars anytime of the day,that might change though, the state is beginning to put up signs directing Disney traffic onto the 429. Just be careful of speed traps around the Disney entrance.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom