Driving plan - suggestions please for stroller purchase

curry767

Hey Guys,

We are arriving MCO on a Thursday night around 5pm and we will be collecting a Rental Car to do some shopping before staying outside the park at the Residence Inn Orlando Lake Buena Vista.

We need to purchase a stroller and I am thinking of buying online at Toys''R''Us and having it shipped free of charge to a store enroute to our hotel. We are after a pretty basic stroller for our 3 year old to use part of the time.

We are also planning on doing our grocery shopping at Wholefoods on Turkey Lake Road.

My question is, does anyone see a problem with this plan? Or maybe even better ideas.

map.png

mamabunker

We rent a stroller from an off-site company when we are down there. So much easier than bringing our own, and way cheaper than the strollers in the parks. They'll deliver it right to your resort, too.

Upvote 0

curry767

Original Poster
We looked at renting, but turns out to be pretty much the same price as buying our own. As I said we are only after a basic one and we will probably gift it to someone at the end of our stay. Also we have to go somewhere to buy diapers for our 6 month too, so Toys''R''Us ticks all the boxes really.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

Watch for coupons too, makes sure you pack them. Get the sunshine brand shade too, it covers so much more than the stroller shades do. While sunblock will protect your babies skin the big shade will give them more sun protection and a shady nap place. A stroller fans are wonderful too and oddly were better made and cheaper in the parks! I still use our Mickey clip on fan at the pool in the summer when our then 18 month old wa napping. The Sunshine brand stroller shade is collapsible and will take very little space in the suitcase, and easy to stowe under the stroller at night so your baby can see the lights and firewroks.

Upvote 0

DaddyDisneyMan

I think you have the right idea. I've seen many people buy a $20 umbrella stroller at the local Walmart and then gift it to another Disney Family upon departure. It will be $20 well spent, no need to rent (unless you want more that just a simple stroller)

Upvote 0

Figgy1

I think you have the right idea. I've seen many people buy a $20 umbrella stroller at the local Walmart and then gift it to another Disney Family upon departure. It will be $20 well spent, no need to rent (unless you want more that just a simple stroller)
We did the $20 umbrella stroller and gave it to a frieend when we got home! The only thing that rode in it was the back pack my ds walked the whole time!

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
I would recommend a slightly better than cheap umbrella stroller. We purchased a decent one (about $40) for our little one's first trip, and we'll be using it for the 4th time again in June. She's also 3, and it's nice to have a something that will fold up quickly when you need to hop on a bus or tram, but is sturdy enough to hang all your junk on. Something like this
http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-Stroller-City-Chic/dp/B002WB2G9I/ref=pd_sbs_ba_1

Upvote 0

Hot Lava

Watch for coupons too, makes sure you pack them. Get the sunshine brand shade too, it covers so much more than the stroller shades do. While sunblock will protect your babies skin the big shade will give them more sun protection and a shady nap place.

Do you have a link for this brand? I cannot find it on the TRU website, and I am curious about this shade. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

The brand is Summer Infant RayShade UV Protective Stroller Shade...ours says Sumshine kids, I just checked. After googling it seems Sunshine Kids has had some rebranding with the new car set line Diono. The stock image on TRU makes it look like a bat, but if you look at the other images you can see it in a stroller. We like the pockets to hold our sunglasses on the sides. DH was worried that the black would be hot but it was not. DH and I have four kids and our expecting our 5th in September, we have taken our babies from 4 months and up, if you have another questions will be happy to help, Have a magical vacation:)

Upvote 0

luv

Me, I'd buy it at the airport or hotel.if you really, really want to go the store route, I agree with a pp, pick it up at Wal-Mart and just take the highway to WDW. The last thing you're going to want to do is sit in a bunch of traffic, so I'd pick the closest one.

Suitcases and strollers are two things that aren't hard to find near WDW. Some min-marts carry them.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
Less than a mile south of the Whole Foods on Turkey Lake is a nice Walmart. I am pretty sure you can pick up a cheap stroller there and not have to worry about pre-odering/shipping/pick-up.

We have been to the Walmart near WDW (car battery died on a Sunday morning while we stayed at WL) and it was not far or difficult to get to at all.

Upvote 0

Todd L

Hey Guys,

We are arriving MCO on a Thursday night around 5pm and we will be collecting a Rental Car to do some shopping before staying outside the park at the Residence Inn Orlando Lake Buena Vista.

We need to purchase a stroller and I am thinking of buying online at Toys''R''Us and having it shipped free of charge to a store enroute to our hotel. We are after a pretty basic stroller for our 3 year old to use part of the time.

We are also planning on doing our grocery shopping at Wholefoods on Turkey Lake Road.

My question is, does anyone see a problem with this plan? Or maybe even better ideas.

map.png

We bought an inexpensive stroller on my daughters first trip to wdw But it didnt turn out well...the Handles were very short so we had to lean over in an akward position to push it . within an Hour both of our backs were in bad shape...wound up renting one for the rest of the week. You might be wise to check one out in person before buying!!

Upvote 0

meklein

Def. buy a stroller at Wal Mart or Target. The rentals are that hard plastic and look so uncomfortable! Toys or Babies R Us will be more expensive. A few features on my umbrella stroller that were key to a good time (I think I paid $35 for mine at Wal Mart or Target, but that was like three or four years ago): covered - nice for shady naps, cup holders for the pusher AND the kid - great for pouring cheerios or other snacks into for the little and of course keeping up with your drinks, a basket underneath - if you are going to be pushing a stroller, why carry backpacks, camera bags or anything else?, reclining seat - I swear, all the other toddlers were jealous of my DD last trip because she was reclined, in the shade and comfortably passed out, and easily collapsible with one hand! LOL!

But, I bought my stroller here at home because I also loved it in the airport. Even when DD was walking on her own, it is great for loading up all the carry-on bags. I don't know about you, but I somehow end up being the one to hold everything. "Mom can you hold my coat", "Mom will you hold my bag", "Mom will you hold my chips", "Mom will you hold my drink". In fact, our next trip, DD will totally be out of the stroller, but I am seriously contemplating still bringing the stroller so I am not stuck holding everyone's stuff! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

curry767

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. We have changed plans and we will now go to the Walmart on Turkey Lake, just near Wholefoods.

We are looking at the The First Years Jet Lightweight Stroller by City Chic for $39.99. It seems to get reasonable reviews, especially for use like we are going to do.

Upvote 0

popcenturylover

Hey Guys,

map.png
We bought a stroller from Babies R Us for our DD3 for our trip last September. It is the Deluxe Lightweight Stroller. I had a coupon so I paid $49.99 for it. It was great! It folds up, has a shoulder strap, cup holder, basket, a shade, & it reclines slightly. The only problem we had was that we almost lost the cupholder at the airport.(end of our trip) We will use it again in the future for our new grandson. DD4 will still fit in it though, & may bring it for her on our next trip in case she needs it!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom