Driving FYI Speed Enforcement

JIMINYCR

Its good they are going to be out and nabbing those crazy drivers. On our May drive all the way down from Maine we saw less troopers on the highway than ever before. Twice we almost got into major accidents by speedsters recklessly swinging in and out of lanes between vehicles with barely enough space to make it. We had to have had someone watching over us and my prayers for arriving safely were answered. Just having the presence of more troopers being in view will have some affect on slowing some of these careless divers down and saving lives.

Upvote 0

skypilot2922

Its good they are going to be out and nabbing those crazy drivers. On our May drive all the way down from Maine we saw less troopers on the highway than ever before. Twice we almost got into major accidents by speedsters recklessly swinging in and out of lanes between vehicles with barely enough space to make it. We had to have had someone watching over us and my prayers for arriving safely were answered. Just having the presence of more troopers being in view will have some affect on slowing some of these careless divers down and saving lives.

Just try towing a 28' boat with a DRW pickup you have a vehicle which is almost 60 feet long and some maniac in a riced out japanese car cuts in front of you with about 2' clearance from your front bumper, One day one of those rigs is gonna drive right over that street racer and there will be nothing the driver can do about it as the laws of physics cannot be broken, just experienced.

Upvote 0

John park hopper

I keep my truck no more than 5 above the limit and never have a problem. On my trips to WDW I get big smile when I see these idiots going like a bat out of He!! past me and up the road the troopers are giving them a ticket

Upvote 0

skypilot2922

I keep my truck no more than 5 above the limit and never have a problem. On my trips to WDW I get big smile when I see these idiots going like a bat out of He!! past me and up the road the troopers are giving them a ticket

I'm usually doing the limit or slightly below so that I have a nice big gap between me and the next vehicle when towing the boat, Heck the truck alone weighs 9500 pounds. Its when they do their stupid stunts if they miscalculate a truck is driving right over them, they do it to semi's up here and thats gonna squash them flat as 9 wheels go over the 'tuner' car with the springs cut down so it has about 2" of ground clearance.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

I'm usually doing the limit or slightly below so that I have a nice big gap between me and the next vehicle when towing the boat, Heck the truck alone weighs 9500 pounds. Its when they do their stupid stunts if they miscalculate a truck is driving right over them, they do it to semi's up here and thats gonna squash them flat as 9 wheels go over the 'tuner' car with the springs cut down so it has about 2" of ground clearance.
I also have a nice gap between me and the vehicle in front of me for stopping safely but these jokers see it as permission to cut into that space as they zip around. The guy right behind me is running so close to my rear bumper that I can see the color of his eyes and if he needs a shave. :mad::mad:

Upvote 0

John park hopper

Or if you have a radar detector.
Some states radar detectors are illegal. Found that out the hard way years ago going into VA on I-95 one small sign that's it--easy to miss it . Got pulled over and ticketed for a radar detector. On the way back I looked for signs one going into VA and that was it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JaxFLBear

Some states radar detectors are illegal. Found that out the hard way years ago going into VA on I-95 one small sign that's --easy to miss it . Got pulled over and ticketed for a radar detector. On the ay back I looked for signs one going into VA and that was it.
VA & DC are the only places they are illegal.

Several states (including FL) have laws against windshield mounts which makes windshield mounted radar detectors illegal. Not sure that law is actually enforced here in FL as there are vehicles everywhere with windshield mounted phones and GPS units.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

VA & DC are the only places they are illegal.

Several states (including FL) have laws against windshield mounts which makes windshield mounted radar detectors illegal. Not sure that law is actually enforced here in FL as there are vehicles everywhere with windshield mounted phones and GPS units.
I've never heard of the law regarding radar or if it is even enforced.

Upvote 0

skypilot2922

I also have a nice gap between me and the vehicle in front of me for stopping safely but these jokers see it as permission to cut into that space as they zip around. The guy right behind me is running so close to my rear bumper that I can see the color of his eyes and if he needs a shave. :mad::mad:

Exactly so!

Upvote 0

OneofThree

Interesting -the article is out of Alachua, FL. I live close by and travel RT 75 through Alachua County almost daily. That stretch of road has become incredibly dangerous, but due only in part to excess speed. It really seems like the cruising speed in the left hand lane has increased to between 80mph and 85mph. The biggest issue with that however, is that many tourists (and some residents as well I'm sure) have taken to the habit of sitting in the passing lane and wanting to do so at 10-15 miles per hour less than the speed of traffic. Additionally, the number of trucks on I-75 has become staggering. Oh the joys of watching truck A (traveling at 65mph) holding traffic hostage for 10 minutes while trying like hell to pass truck B (traveling at 64.5mph). Add the occasional wanna-be Formula 1 driver coming through at 100mph and. . .

Good times. 👍

Upvote 0

DBF John

Original Poster
Some states radar detectors are illegal. Found that out the hard way years ago going into VA on I-95 one small sign that's it--easy to miss it . Got pulled over and ticketed for a radar detector. On the way back I looked for signs one going into VA and that was it.
That is like Georgia, one and only one sign near state line "Prohibited - Holding Mobile Devices While Driving"

Upvote 0

DBF John

Original Poster
Interesting -the article is out of Alachua, FL. I live close by and travel RT 75 through Alachua County almost daily. That stretch of road has become incredibly dangerous, but due only in part to excess speed. It really seems like the cruising speed in the left hand lane has increased to between 80mph and 85mph. The biggest issue with that however, is that many tourists (and some residents as well I'm sure) have taken to the habit of sitting in the passing lane and wanting to do so at 10-15 miles per hour less than the speed of traffic. Additionally, the number of trucks on I-75 has become staggering. Oh the joys of watching truck A (traveling at 65mph) holding traffic hostage for 10 minutes while trying like hell to pass truck B (traveling at 64.5mph). Add the occasional wanna-be Formula 1 driver coming through at 100mph and. . .

Good times. 👍
Had that exacted experience myself going down to WDW myself from Gville

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom