Driving from PA to FL this Easter weekend....suggestions ?

macefamily

We're driving from NEPA to FL next week. This is the first time we're driving rather than flying. Are there any good suggestions for food stops or interesting sites along the way ? Thanks.

Smiley/OCD

If you like BBQ, stop at Allmans BBQ in Fredericksburg, VA…it’s about 15 minutes off 95 (on Rt. 1)…you’ll pass a huge Wawa for gas just off 95…still the best BBQ I’ve ever had! Enjoy your trip (once you get thru DC)

Upvote 0

Diesel Dan

Take route 81 south to Exit 300 in Front Royal Va then Rt 66 East to exit 28 route 17 to Fredericksburg. Pickup Route 95 south to Daytona Beach then route 4 to WDW. Best gas prices will be in Virginia and South Carolina. I take the Route 295 bypass around Richmond and the bypass around Jacksonville to the East towards the beaches. Both bypasses are a little longer but a lot less traffic, we don’t lose any time. Also avoid Baltimore and Washington on route 95.

Upvote 0

Lilofan

Take route 81 south to Exit 300 in Front Royal Va then Rt 66 East to exit 28 route 17 to Fredericksburg. Pickup Route 95 south to Daytona Beach then route 4 to WDW. Best gas prices will be in Virginia and South Carolina. I take the Route 295 bypass around Richmond and the bypass around Jacksonville to the East towards the beaches. Both bypasses are a little longer but a lot less traffic, we don’t lose any time. Also avoid Baltimore and Washington on route 95.
295 Bypass around Richmond is smooth sailing , easy to do 80-90mph but watch out for VA cops waiting to catch speeders around the bend and they will ...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lief13

When we drove (DE to FL), we always stopped in Savannah and did a day there. Its a beautiful little city with great restaurants and amazing sites. Plus the next days drive is pretty short in comparison.

Upvote 0

yensid1967

I hope this doesn't get to you too late...

I live in SCPA(Chambersburg)...Here is my driving plan when I drive to Florida...
Leave in the evening 8pm or after...drive 4 hours...that's usually just the other side of Richmond(Petersburg)
Stop at an EZ ON/OFF exit gas stop even though you don't need it, snack, bathroom- 30 minutes
Then back on the road for another 4 hours

Seems tedious, but for me, it helps me to drive straight thru

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sith196

Are you driving straight through or stopping for a night along the way?
Not sure about the original poster, but I'm planning to drive in November, leaving from southeastern PA (think hour and a half northwest of Philadelphia) and stopping for a night (or if we get a good start on Saturday we'd just drive right through to Orlando and stay somewhere offsite for one night). Current Google maps route is I78 to I81 to I83 to PA581 to PA15 to I270 to I495 to I95 to I4.

I don't want to make an extra thread just to make an extra thread, so I'll ask for any advice here if I may.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yensid1967

Not sure about the original poster, but I'm planning to drive in November, leaving from southeastern PA (think hour and a half northwest of Philadelphia) and stopping for a night (or if we get a good start on Saturday we'd just drive right through to Orlando and stay somewhere offsite for one night). Current Google maps route is PA78 to I81 to I83 to PA581 to PA15 to I270 to I495 to I95 to I4.

I don't want to make an extra thread just to make an extra thread, so I'll ask for any advice here if I may.
Chambersburg here...
I drive I81 to I70 to I270 toI95 to I4(STOPPING 4.5 HRS AT A TIME

If you need a recommendation for a hotel near Disney for a night...Rosen Lake Buena Vista (VERY close to Disney Springs) awesome hotel, restaurant, deli, convenience store game room, bar/grille, 2 pools and splash zone. many other restaurants within walking distance, 24hr security, FREE PARKING! Save money and stay here!!!!

For our next trip we are thinking about taking AMTRAK! renting a car and staying at RosenLBV

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Raxel7851

Chambersburg here...
I drive I81 to I70 to I270 toI95 to I4(STOPPING 4.5 HRS AT A TIME

If you need a recommendation for a hotel near Disney for a night...Rosen Lake Buena Vista (VERY close to Disney Springs) awesome hotel, restaurant, deli, convenience store game room, bar/grille, 2 pools and splash zone. many other restaurants within walking distance, 24hr security, FREE PARKING! Save money and stay here!!!!

For our next trip we are thinking about taking AMTRAK! renting a car and staying at RosenLBV
@yensid1967 we drive from Delaware to Florida 3-4 times a year. We’ve taken the Autotrain a few times and had a great experience. We wouldn’t do it every time because it’s a tad pricey, but it was a nice break from driving. We do the bedroom most of the time. When we drive, we typically stop anywhere between Lumberton NC and Santee SC.

As @lief13 posted, Savannah is a Beautiful city to spend a day or 2 in on the way down or back. Another option is St. Augustine, which is a 3 hr drive to WDW the next day. Savannah is around 2 hrs more. Enjoy the drive.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom