Driving from Cincinnati to WDW, need some advice

Anyone have advice on a good place to stop for the night that would be about halfway or a little more between Cincy and WDW? We are driving with 3 small kids and know that we will probably have to stop for a rest at some point. I would love to prebook a hotel room to get a good rate, but don't know of a good city to stop in. I would like to avoid Atlanta if possible. Any thoughts about a good exit or even hotel would be very much appreciated! 33 days to go! :wave:

dizneykev

We do this drive from Cincinnati to Orlando every year. We have been doing this from the time my son was about 4 years old until now, which he is 10. I have a couple pieces of advice.

#1, put some extra pillows, blankets, etc. under the feet of your children (especially if they are in car seats). We don't realize how awful it is to have your legs just dangling there for so long and not being able to take the pinch points off where their legs go over the plastic part of the seat.

#2, I-75 is as close to the Autobahn as you will find in our neck of the woods. The speed limit most of the way is 70 MPH. I usually set my cruise at 77-78 and just go. I have to stay in the slow speed lane most of the time as you will get blown by at this speed.

#3. Travel time seems to be like this for us. We live on the East side of town, so it takes us 30-45 minutes to get to the I-275/I71/I75 interchange in Kentucky

Tennessee Border = 3 hours
Knoxville = 4 hours 15 minutes
Chattanooga = 5 hours 30 minutes
Other side of Atlanta = 7 1/2 to 8 hours.

Total driving time from our house to WDW property is usually about 13 1/2 hours of driving. Factor in any of your stops to figure out how far you can comfortably get.

We try our best to get to Tifton, Georgia each year on the first day. I have driven it straight through a number of times and this year drove it straight through on the way back. It is doable, by it is a long drive.

Tifton, Georgia is about a 4 hour drive in the next day. This seems to be just about right for us. It seems to be a nice distance to drive and if we get up in the morning at a reasonable time (say 9 o'clock), we can eat breakfast and get on the road by 10:30 or so. This gets us into our resort right around 2 - 2:30 in the afternoon. That leaves us a lot of daytime to still "play", plus our room is usually ready for us to check in and unload when we get there.

This year we stayed at the Country Inn Suites in Tifton. It was VERY clean, and quiet. You can pick up coupon books at any of the Georgia rest areas, or at just about ANY gas stations in Georgia that will cut your hotel costs down a BUNCH.

The Georgia rest area closes VERY early and the rest rooms are locked and not accessible after hours. I think it closes around 6 pm. So, plan accordingly for pit stops.

We usually try to leave so that we are through Knoxville by around 3:30-4 pm and thus we miss that traffic. That then has us hit Atlanta after rush hour. For Atlanta, we get in the HOV (car pool) lane and just glide through, it makes the navigation very easy.

On the way back, we make a 2 day trip out of it. We usually leave WDW around 1-2 pm and then drive to a town called Cartersville. This is about 30-40 minutes north of Atlanta. That leaves us a bout a 5-6 hour drive home on day two. We can then get home at a reasonable time and rest up for work the next day.

The Holiday Inn at Cartersville is very nice and has a nice hot breakfast in the morning. It is also a very low point option if you have reward points that you can use with Holiday Inn.

Enjoy your trip. I am sure you will.

Dizneykev

Upvote 0

Luvmydisney

Original Poster
I cannot tell you how helpful all of your replies have been. We will definitely be taking much of this advice for our trip. My husband has even been reading your responses over my shoulder. Trust me,that says a lot, as he thinks I am a little crazy about my Disney planning! I'll especially point out the speed trap warning to him! We can't get a ticket or that would defeat the fact that we are saving money by driving! We are actually going to drive to Knoxville on Saturday afternoon to meet up with my family who lives there. We figured we could rest up for a few hours, play with the kids, etc., before hopping back in the van for a few more hours. I think Macon or Valdosta seems like a great stopping point for us. Our plan is to get up early Sunday and reach Pop Century around 2:00. We have dinner reservations for Chef Mickey's at 4:00! Thanks again for the tips. You guys are awesome! :)

Upvote 0

Luvmydisney

Original Poster
Now to make things more difficult...

So the plan was to drive saving all that money, but we recently found flights out of Knoxville for $160 a person. We are now comparing the drive vs. flying and it looks as if flying would be about $200 more. The only glitch is the flight would arrive in Orlando at 2:00 and our reservations are at Chef Mickey's for 4:00. I don't think we would make it. should we take convenience over the character meal. One other point, if we drive we have to leave Sat. evening sometime to head home, while flying lets us stay until Sunday morning. Decisions, decisions....:shrug:

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

If it is only going to be about $200 I would fly, you get the much shorter drive from Knoxville home, its worth that amount to save about 12 hours in the car for the long drive home. Maybe you can find a later time for Chef Mickey's, the two hours seems to be pushing it. If you decide to drive be aware that they are doing a lot of interstate paving in the Atlanta area on weekends.

Upvote 0

BUZZCRUSH

drive

we are from Cincinnati also and have flown and driven to wdw. I'd drive every time. We have 2 young kids and my husband drive's straight through at night. Very easy drive. We get there in the morning he crashes and the kids and I hit the pool. We never do a park that first day anyway. The last few times we flew we were delayed going home. Once by 3 hours the second time by over 7 hours. Plus Orlando airport is a mess. Finally we just like taking our "stuff", i.e. computers, lotion etc and being able to buy that "stuff" like perfume that you can't get on the plane unless you check a bag with extra bag fees.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom