Drive to Disney

Madmavis49

Original Poster
We’re considering driving from Rhode Island to Disney next May. It will take approximately 18 hours. Has anyone done this and what are your thoughts?

Nemo14

We've done it many times (from Warwick). If you're driving straight down I-95, once you get past Richmond,VA it's an easy drive, but that stretch between RI and VA can be brutal. We've done it a few times, leaving at early morning, late evening, etc, but it seems like no matter what time you leave, you're going to hit rush hour somewhere along that way. We've actually been stuck at the Geoge washington Bridge for an hour, just waiting to cross, and the TappanZee is not a whole lot better.

What we found works best for us is taking I-95 to route 9 in CT Exit 69 (just over the Ct River), then State Road 66 to 691 to 84 West . We stay on 84 through CT and NY (you'll cross the Hudson in Newburgh, which is a much easier bridge (no waiting) than the GW or TappanZee. Once you cross into PA, 84 becomes 81 and we just stay on that through PA, MD, WV and into VA. After Roanoke, we take 77 to Columbia, SC, then 26 to 95. Follow 95 to 4, but don't take 4 all the way into Orlando (it's a mess). Take 417 (near Sanford) into WDW. It's a toll road but well worth it to not be on 4.

Distance-wise, our way is about 100 miles longer, but time-wise it's about the same, and it's a much prettier drive. Although map sites will tell you that it's about 18 hours by way of I-95, that is only true if you drive straight through with no potty breaks, and no traffic delays, which is pretty impossible.

Last edited:

Madmavis49

Original Poster
We've done it many times (from Warwick). If you're driving straight down I-95, once you get past Richmond,VA it's an easy drive, but that stretch between RI and VA can be brutal. We've done it a few times, leaving at early morning, late evening, etc, but it seems like no matter what time you leave, you're going to hit rush hour somewhere along that way. We've actually been stuck at the Geoge washington Bridge for an hour, just waiting to cross, and the TappanZee is not a whole lot better.

What we found works best for us is taking I-95 to route 9 in CT Exit 69 (just over the Ct River), then State Road 66 to 691 to 84 West . We stay on 84 through CT and NY (you'll cross the Hudson in Newburgh, which is a much easier bridge (no waiting) than the GW or TappanZee. Once you cross into PA, 84 becomes 81 and we just stay on that through PA, MD, WV and into VA. After Roanoke, we take 77 to Columbia, SC, then 26 to 95. Follow 95 to 4, but don't take 4 all the way into Orlando (it's a mess). Take 417 (near Sanford) into WDW. It's a toll road but well worth it to not be on 4.

Distance-wise, our way is about 100 miles longer, but time-wise it's about the same, and it's a much prettier drive. Although map sites will tell you that it's about 18 hours by way of I-95, that is only true if you drive straight through with no potty breaks, and no traffic delays, which is pretty impossible.
Thank you. We would have to stop at least a couple of times because we’ll have a 2 year old with us. My husband would rather fly but I say let’s save the airfare and spend it at the park.

RememberWhen

I can’t speak to the actual driving, but we used to drive from NH to Disney in our Ford Taurus towing our pop up camper with 3 kids (me and 2 sisters) in the back seat. My mom drove through the night. She was always exhausted when we arrived, but I have very fond memories of those trips.

mf1972

my wife & i have done it quite often for our trips from NJ. we take 95 all the way down. we’d leave between 6-7am & stopnonce we reach Georgia. after that it’s about a 3-4 hour drive.
if you’ve never driven it before, 95 could get hectic around the Maryland & DC area depending on the time of day.
the good news is there’s plenty of gas stations, fast food restaurants, rest areas, & hotels along the way. hope this helps.

Madmavis49

Original Poster
I can’t speak to the actual driving, but we used to drive from NH to Disney in our Ford Taurus towing our pop up camper with 3 kids (me and 2 sisters) in the back seat. My mom drove through the night. She was always exhausted when we arrived, but I have very fond memories of those trips.
I told my husband the road trip is part of the fun lol

Disney Crazed

My mom and dad have talked about there driving to WDW that was before me and my 2 younger sisters came into the picture. They said it wasn't bad at all. I am 13 and my 2 sisters are 10 and 8 and they say no way to driving the 14+ hours and that is with no stops from where we live. I also think it is because they are much older but I would never tell them that. I don't mind though because I would go crazy in the back seat with my two little sisters.

Madmavis49

Original Poster
My mom and dad have talked about there driving to WDW that was before me and my 2 younger sisters came into the picture. They said it wasn't bad at all. I am 13 and my 2 sisters are 10 and 8 and they say no way to driving the 14+ hours and that is with no stops from where we live. I also think it is because they are much older but I would never tell them that. I don't mind though because I would go crazy in the back seat with my two little sisters.
Thank you for input. I really appreciate it 😊

KellBelle

That’s crazy! You must stay overnight somewhere. Do you find it a lot less expensive than flying?
I would guess about the same, but I do not fly, so if I want to go, we have to drive. Thankfully, my husband loves to road trip. I would not say it's fun lol but the stress of not flying is totally worth it to me. Also, we like having our own car while we are there. We usually spend a night in TN, which is about halfway for us. ;)

Madmavis49

Original Poster
I would guess about the same, but I do not fly, so if I want to go, we have to drive. Thankfully, my husband loves to road trip. I would not say it's fun lol but the stress of not flying is totally worth it to me. Also, we like having our own car while we are there. We usually spend a night in TN, which is about halfway for us. ;)
I like the idea of us having our car while we’re there too. If we flew we could always rent but that’s another expense

Figgy1

Premium Member
my wife & i have done it quite often for our trips from NJ. we take 95 all the way down. we’d leave between 6-7am & stopnonce we reach Georgia. after that it’s about a 3-4 hour drive.
if you’ve never driven it before, 95 could get hectic around the Maryland & DC area depending on the time of day.
the good news is there’s plenty of gas stations, fast food restaurants, rest areas, & hotels along the way. hope this helps.
We've done this but we're close enough to 84 to 81 cutting across to outside DC and 95 south from there we've even done 81 into SC and cut across to 95 to avoid a tropical storm going up 95. 95 straight down can be hectic from north of NYC into Jersey depending on the hour. 84 to 81 hitting DC is pretty and efficient but DC timing is crucial, 81 straight down is beautiful but there didn't seem to be as many places to stop, not that we stop except when it's time to gas up

Figgy1

Premium Member
That’s crazy! You must stay overnight somewhere. Do you find it a lot less expensive than flying?
We do by the time we figure 4 tickets, luggage fees and such. We've also driven straight through and having our own car means we can do side trip to places like KSC which we do either on the way down or the way home every trip not to mention being able to go to the grocery store

lazyboy97o

Good advice. I have an old iPad. I’ll have to see if it can stream movies. We have Disney plus so movies wouldn’t be a problem
You can download content on Disney+, Amazon Prime Video, Netflix and Movies Anywhere so that you do not need to stream. Even if you have a cellular iPad you’ll eat through data and battery life trying to stream on the road where connections can be spotty at best in less populated areas.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom