Dragon Rocks

Sketch105

Original Poster
Basically thats the gist of it. The attraction was planned but the money earmarked for it (along with the rest of Beastly Kingdom) went to the new Safari Lodge hotel. The Imagineers worked with the chump change they had and produced the Dragon cave and the Dragon water fountain, along with animatronic iguanodon near Dinoland, to tie-in with "Dinosaur"

Attachments

• 03-water_dragon-big.jpg
    03-water_dragon-big.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 210

kwt10

For something to compare the first pictures with, this is a picture the I took of the "dragon's" cave when the fire was still active. As you can tell there is no armor or people found anymore. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• animalkingfire.jpg
    animalkingfire.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 192

ToTBellHop

It wasn't a problem with the park losing some of its investment. The park was never planned to cost more than $800 million to build, but by the time everything but Beastlie was planned out, they had already met that limit--so Disney had the Imagineers build that but, noticing how small the park would be, decided to quickly build Camp Minnie-Mickey w/o the Imagineers' help...

Justin

Sorry Sketch, I tried getting some photos or something of BK's new theming and stuff. but i lost in somewhere in my compute? :confused: If u got to CoasterForce.com and look up the news for 2001 or 2002 or something like that they have some Technifix stuff and some pictures of some of the knights and dragons and materials and stuff i think. :hammer:

kwt10

I will be heading to WDW in a couple of days can someone please tell me where the dragon waterfall is. I would love to get some pictures of it. Thanks

MKCustodial

I really didn't walk around AK that much, but I really didn't notice any of that. They're in some area that guests now have no access to?

Justin

Do they even have that anymore? :lol:

They use to have a Dragon section on the boat ride around Ak, but i dont think its running. :confused:

I would not know where to find any of the new supplies for the Dragonland.

Sorry im kindof the subject im confused! :veryconfu :veryconfu :veryconfu

Sketch105

Original Poster
Its ok, kwt10. Thanks for all the info, though!

To answer your questions,

THE WATERFALL and the Dragons Cave are (were?) off to the right hand side of the bridge going from Discovery Island to Camp Minnie Mickey. The last time I was there, which was quite awhile ago, the cave is still there and the waterfall was. That was when I took the picture.

Guests had no access to the cave and waterfall, but they could be seen from the bridge and were part of the Discovery River Boats/Water Taxis/Radio Disney Cruise before they were junked (the cruise, that is).

Good points by all. Its true that Disney did not mean to cut Beastly Kingdom but the cost of backstage facilities upped the bill farther than the $800 mill budget. But the money I heard that was marked for it afterward quickly went out to other things, like attractions for the Millenium celebration etc, so the parks had something new to attract people back to them after AK's meagar attendance bit into the other parks rather than adding on a day to people's vacations.

Jusjuice

Originally posted by Sketch105
Basically thats the gist of it. The attraction was planned but the money earmarked for it (along with the rest of Beastly Kingdom) went to the new Safari Lodge hotel. The Imagineers worked with the chump change they had and produced the Dragon cave and the Dragon water fountain, along with animatronic iguanodon near Dinoland, to tie-in with "Dinosaur"

Well, if the money for Beastly Kingdom went to the "Safari Lodge Hotel," maybe they will make enough money off of that to build BK sometime soon. At Thanksgiving, the only hotel that was totally booked up was the Animal Kingdom Lodge!

space42

Originally posted by Jusjuice

Well, if the money for Beastly Kingdom went to the "Safari Lodge Hotel," maybe they will make enough money off of that to build BK sometime soon. At Thanksgiving, the only hotel that was totally booked up was the Animal Kingdom Lodge!

The money was used to cover the huge losses at ABC, go.com, and the studio. Then the money was used to "fix" the "problems" at Calfornia Adventure. After that, Disney spent 5 billion (yes thats billion) on the Fox Family Channel.

The Disney Parks and resorts make up almost 50% of The Walt Disney Company's profit!! Its just that the profit is being used to cover the not so profitable units right now.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Originally posted by space42

The money was used to cover the huge losses at ABC, go.com, and the studio. Then the money was used to "fix" the "problems" at Calfornia Adventure. After that, Disney spent 5 billion (yes thats billion) on the Fox Family Channel.

The Disney Parks and resorts make up almost 50% of The Walt Disney Company's profit!! Its just that the profit is being used to cover the not so profitable units right now.

Do you have a source for those claims?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Just looked through their latest annual reports (link at end of post) and they only mention expenditures at one point, which is the total expenditures for the entire company, not broken down at all.

So I ask again, PPOR. (Post Proof or Retract)

Annual Financial Reports

DisneyKrazed

I have the Annual Report and although the parks do make up a lot of the profit, its not 50%. Although I do think that Disney should make each diffrent "product" of the company (parks, tv, movies, ext...) use its profits for what it needs and not have to back up other branches.

space42

Originally posted by Thrawn
Just looked through their latest annual reports (link at end of post) and they only mention expenditures at one point, which is the total expenditures for the entire company, not broken down at all.

So I ask again, PPOR. (Post Proof or Retract)

Annual Financial Reports

Bottom of page 54. Parks and resorts made 2.190 billion in profit! That is 43% of the companys entire profit.

Now you can read into this however you want to and the numbers can be spun many different ways. The fact is that this money did not go to build Beastly Kingdom or any other expansions for that matter (Mission Space was 100% financed by compac). I suppose that was my point. Other Areas of the company are not as profitialbe as they once were so the parks and resorts are helping to pick up the slack.

lamarvenoy

i just found some pictures of the boats and the launches and the making of them. I bought this book about the making of the animal kingdom last year at the contemporary, wish i could scan the pictures, there's alot of cool construction photos and behind the scenes stuff.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Originally posted by space42

Bottom of page 54. Parks and resorts made 2.190 billion in profit! That is 43% of the companys entire profit.

Now you can read into this however you want to and the numbers can be spun many different ways. The fact is that this money did not go to build Beastly Kingdom or any other expansions for that matter (Mission Space was 100% financed by compac). I suppose that was my point. Other Areas of the company are not as profitialbe as they once were so the parks and resorts are helping to pick up the slack.

I am looking for the expenditure figures you quoted. The price tag for buying Fox Family and the other costs you mentioned. (Namely the money that went to "fix" DCA)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom