News Dragon caught fire in today’s Festival of Fantasy parade

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
@rvtraveller You may want to update the thread title now so noone thinks it's caught on fire again 😛
I don't think Peter cares...
1548505503562.png

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
So glad it back up and running! I was there the day it caught fire.
And last time I was at Disney, they had to close the Boardwalk for a couple hours due to a small fire. I must be bad luck for the park lol.

note2001

Probably just looks different in different pics because it’s made literally from the same mold as the original so it’s identical.

Seems to be just the lighting and angle in the pics that make it look like they're different. The pic of the new head doesn't show the same shine as the old version, but other sources show it is indeed the same. The team that recreated her did a fantastic job.

1548527578026.png
(credit to Florida Today)

JoeCamel

Seems to be just the lighting and angle in the pics that make it look like they're different. The pic of the new head doesn't show the same shine as the old version, but other sources show it is indeed the same. The team that recreated her did a fantastic job.

View attachment 344618 (credit to Florida Today)
Probably the same people who built her. Think she made a trip out west for the repair or did they come here?. Maybe just shipped the head?

yensidtlaw1969

I'm willing to bet it was Garner Holt who fabricated her. They have created many pieces for Disney shows, parades and rides over the years including at least one, if not all of the Fantasmic dragons.
She was fabricated by Michael Curry Design, who have made a number of creatures for the parks, including Flotsam and Jetsam for Disneyland's Fantasmic (I think they have since been retired?), the flying Dumbo for "Magical", the puppets for Finding Nemo the Musical, and the puppets for Tapestry of Nations.

note2001

She was fabricated by Michael Curry Design, who have made a number of creatures for the parks, including Flotsam and Jetsam for Disneyland's Fantasmic (I think they have since been retired?), the flying Dumbo for "Magical", the puppets for Finding Nemo the Musical, and the puppets for Tapestry of Nations.
Thanks! I thought I had read that they designed her, but since they specialize in puppetry and don't usually work with flame my mind wandered back to the Fantasmic dragon and it's group for the actual fabrication.

yensidtlaw1969

Thanks! I thought I had read that they designed her, but since they specialize in puppetry and don't usually work with flame my mind wandered back to the Fantasmic dragon and it's group for the actual fabrication.
I suppose I can't say for certain that they fabricated all of her, it's totally possible that the flamy-parts were shopped out or done in-house by Disney. It seems like she was a real collaboration, as projects like this can often be. That said, I believe the steam-punky parts were sculpted and produced by MCD.

note2001

I suppose I can't say for certain that they fabricated all of her, it's totally possible that the flamy-parts were shopped out or done in-house by Disney. It seems like she was a real collaboration, as projects like this can often be. That said, I believe the steam-punky parts were sculpted and produced by MCD.
The body definitely echos their fingerprints. Very Henson-like.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I honestly had no idea these companies and studios even existed. Are there others worth being aware of?

Garner Holt Productions is another that has been around in this space for quite some time. Disney fans will recognize many if their projects.

http://www.garnerholt.com/ghp-inc/projects.aspx

Another is ITEC who are based in Orlando

https://www.itec.com/what-we-do/

Or Falcon Creative.

https://www.falconscreativegroup.com/

A google search for theme park design will bring up countless others.

GlacierGlacier

I honestly had no idea these companies and studios even existed. Are there others worth being aware of?
If you want a very detailed map, look at the exhibitors and sponsors section of the 2018 IAAPA attractions expo. Do note that it covers almost everyone in the industry, ranging from theme parks to otherwise, but there's a special section just for theming and high-tech stuff.

Here is an interactive map of the show floor from this past year. The red group in the top left is a large group of theming folks.

Sky

No fire at yesterday’s FoF (or atleast none from Pecos all the way through Liberty Square Bridge). She’d raise her head, open her mouth, then at the top of the music score nothing would happen, then she’d bend back down. She in B mode already?

mm52200

No fire at yesterday’s FoF (or atleast none from Pecos all the way through Liberty Square Bridge). She’d raise her head, open her mouth, then at the top of the music score nothing would happen, and she bend back down. She in B mode already?
Nope not a B mode. The system is very fickle and perhaps a little too safe. She started parade with the fire yesterday, but sometimes things happen, nothing bad, but it’s still working through some isssues. The parades team is trying their best to make sure she breathes fire every day and properly works but sometimes things happen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom