Dr Doom's Fearfall

Avid Merrion

Original Poster
Could anyone tell me if this ride is the scariest one in Florida. How extreme is the launch? This is the only ride in florida that i'm not really confident about going on.
is it as bad as it looks or am i making a fuss over nothing?

:) :) :)

YQY747

I went on it a few weeks ago and was really disapointed, the launch is fun, no worse that TOT, but then you just sort of go up and down, not at the same speed as launch, the only good thing about this ride I thought was it gave nice views of IOA.

coasterphil

The only frightening part is the launch up and the drop down immediately following it. After that its just a slow bounce back up and down. Definitely isn't any worse than ToT. If you can do that without any problems go ahead and ride Doom.

AndyP

The ride itself is not scary for me, the thrill comes more from the anticipation of the launch, and not knowing when it was coming. If you can manage Hulk, I think you'd be fine.

dxwwf3

I think it's an underrated attraction because of the storyline (You have to search for it though. It certainly isn't spoonfed to you like it should be) and the great launch. The first time or two can be quite nerveracking if you aren't used to those type of rides. It was my first attraction I ever rode at IOA in 99 and I waited 40 minutes for it. Luckily that allowed me to watch the entire preshow, which is so vital in understanding the story and is hillarious as well.

bayoutinkbelle

I would agree with the others. The launch is the thing that always gets me (but I LOVE it!) and then it's just up and down. I love the great view of the park that you get, as well.

I'm so ready to get in my car and drive! We leave Saturday morning!! :sohappy:

Timmay

kcnole said:
I don't see anyway that it's any scarier than ToT.

To some it may be the fact that they can see how high they really are...you sure get more of a sensation of speed on this than you do Tot just from being able to see out beyond a few feet.

ToT is still much better, to me anyway.

PencilTest

I was pretty disappointed when I rode it, 'cause I was expecting both fast up and fast down, rather than just the ascent. I figured that since it's called the "FearFall", it would have a bit more of a, y'know, fearful fall.

ISTCrew20

dxwwf3 said:
I think it's an underrated attraction because of the storyline (

Dr. Doom is trying to suck the fear out of humans to use for his evil plans? That's the storyline I got from it. A little lame.

As for the ride itself, when you walk up to it, the towers are really not that tall. Like others said, the launch up is the most fun and nerveracking part. They have these type of rides at almost every park on the planet, so if you skip it at IOA, you may be able to do it somewhere else.

dxwwf3

ISTCrew20 said:
Dr. Doom is trying to suck the fear out of humans to use for his evil plans? That's the storyline I got from it. A little lame.

Yeah but if you watch the entire preshow (which is kinda long), you see there's more to it than that. It has been a while since I've seen the preshow (2000 actually. I always use the SRL which bypasses the slideshow), but it's set up fairly nicely if you get into the story, which Universal doesn't care if you do or if you don't.

JT3000

Avid Merrion said:
Could anyone tell me if this ride is the scariest one in Florida. How extreme is the launch? This is the only ride in florida that i'm not really confident about going on.
is it as bad as it looks or am i making a fuss over nothing?

:) :) :)

Scariest ride in Florida? I doubt it. It is the only ride that scares me everytime I ride it, but then again, I don't ride any large coasters. I would imagine the scariest ride in Florida is SheiKra.

Fearfall's launch is worse than it looks, IMO. The towers don't look very tall from the ground... but they're certainly tall enough if you have even the slightest fear of heights. The launch also feels faster than it looks. It's completely incomparable to ToT due to the fact that you're out in the open, with just a restraint between you and... nothing. ToT doesn't launch you up like a rocket either. You have no time at all to adjust to how high you are.

kcnole

I've ridden these kinds of rides all over, granted I haven't ridden the one we're talking about at Universal. None of them ever bother me. In fact I normally find the ascent and drops exhilerating. When I rode ToT, it literally scared me more than I've ever been scared. I've got to think that the drop on tower is much faster since they're literally pulling you down faster than gravity. I don't think dr. doom does that does it.

However, if it's fairly high I could see how it could be scary with those with a fear of heights.

Epcot82Guy

kcnole said:
I've ridden these kinds of rides all over, granted I haven't ridden the one we're talking about at Universal. None of them ever bother me. In fact I normally find the ascent and drops exhilerating. When I rode ToT, it literally scared me more than I've ever been scared. I've got to think that the drop on tower is much faster since they're literally pulling you down faster than gravity. I don't think dr. doom does that does it.

However, if it's fairly high I could see how it could be scary with those with a fear of heights.

I am in the same boat. THe problem is that the first one I ever rode was at Stratosphere, Las Vegas. Put Fear Fall on top of a 1000' tower. THey actually lift you up a bit before launch, and you can;'t see the platform, just straight down to the STrip. THAT is an adrenaline rush, but it makes the others seem kinda lame.

JT3000

kcnole said:

Fearfall, contrary to it's name, is a space shot (as opposed to a drop tower.) The drops aren't very forceful. Going up is another story entirely.

Blue0ctane

If you're scared about the launch, it launches when the dude says "three".

Really, the entire ride is cake. I've been on Power Tower @ CP and Freefall @ SFMM, and Dr. Doom's drop is actually the worst out of those three. You stop about 2/3 of the way down and just elevator-style bounce for a bit. Don't be worried about the launch and the G-forces. It's over in a few seconds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom