DQ Chicago

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Hello,

Could someone point me to a source of information about the previous DQ location in Chicago? Where was the building, what was there before, what is there now? Also, were DQ staff considered cast members?

Unfortunately I never had the chance to visit. The location I know was near major shopping. This makes it difficult to spend an entire day in an interactive arcade when everyone else wants to shop. I remember it being there when I was a teenager.

Ryan

rackman

DisneyQuest Chicago was located at 55 E. Ohio.

It was one block west of Michigan Avenue, behind the Marriott Hotel and across the street from Heavan on Seven and the movie theaters.

DQ cast were considered cast members, but were administered from Burbank CA as part of Disney Regional Entertainment (DRE). Consequently, they were not given all the perks of a WDW cast member. They were given the same perks as a Disneyland cast member would receive at WDW.

maryszhi

I think the person means disney quest. Actually I kinda remember going there a few times, i actually kinda liked it, especially the create ur own roller coaster, then you could ride it in a pod shaped thing. It was really expensive though, not really worth it. I was lucky that espn zone, my fav. It rocks living in a western sub. near chicago. Yes, I think they were called cm's.
I hope this helps. Also google Disney Quest Chicago, there should pop= up a few websites and pictures !
Hope this helps!!!!!

maryszhi

I think that they did get the same perks, I thought all cast members Got equal benifits, except the difference of full time, part time
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~When you wish upon a star~

rackman

Not really.

Since the DQ cast were not issued WDW ID's they could not participate in WDW specific discounts and such.

Generally, the privileges were comparable, but with subtlety different.

The differences are like the ones that ABC, ESPN or other branches of employees of the Walt Disney Company experience at WDW.

ASilmser

I think that they did get the same perks, I thought all cast members Got equal benifits, except the difference of full time, part time
~A dream is what your heart makes~
~When you wish upon a star~

They got the same thing that TDS employees got when we were part of the company--a general merchandise discount (20 or 35%), stock purchase plan, and two one day hopper passes per year. In addition, we were eligible for cast member room discounts and discounts on restaurants.

WDW cast members can enter the parks at just about any time, and they also get to bring guests in at specific times. I may be off on the specifics, but generally that's what it was/is.

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Other questions.

Did characters ever show up at DQ, or did they ever sell things like the Mickey icecream bars? Just curious how close to a "mini park" did this ever get in Chicago?

Ryan

Nansafan

The food at DQ Chicago was provided by the Cheesecake Factory. They carried Disney Quest logoed merchandise which made for interesting pin trading when they closed and we visited WDW later that year. We visited a few times. What I think was the major problem with DQ Chicago was the location. I live and grew up on the NW side of the city. We just didn't go downtown on the weekends. If they had opened say near Woodfield or one of the other big suburban malls, they might have had a chance.

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
Ah, but the Cheesecake Factory exists only a few blocks north of that location. No wonder it didn't do well. That lacks creativity.

Personally I think they would have done very well up by Woodfield Mall. Now, with the new store going in there this summer, I'll bet that location would still be around.

Another great location would have been up by the Six Flags Great America theme park. Since there are several thigns that people do up there, including Gurnee Mills Mall, it would be perfect. They could just buy out one of the smaller attractions up there, like the miniture golf place, and build on that location. Oh well.

When you place an interactive theme park near a bunch of shopping, especially famous shopping, forget it. People are there to shop and eat.

Just another thought, Navy Peer would have made a wonderful fit.

Ryan

k.hunter30

Did characters ever show up at DQ, or did they ever sell things like the Mickey icecream bars? Just curious how close to a "mini park" did this ever get in Chicago?

Ryan
I went there twice and there were never characters when I was there. It wasn't very "Disney" at all I felt. (Funny, b/c sometimes Chicago has parades with Disney characters in it... :shrug: ) My first visit there was a few months after it first opened. I don't remember when my second visit was.

a2grafix

I went to Chicago twice in two years -- in the summer of 2000 and 2001 -- and visited DisneyQuest Chicago twice.

I believe DisneyQuest Chicago closed at the end of August 2001, or Labor Day Weekend 2001 in early September, a week or so before the September 11, 2001, attacks.

DQ Chicago was a great place and I enjoyed it immensely. I wish it remained open to this day, but so be it. DQ Chicago, and DQ at Downtown Disney (of which I have never been too) allowed the inner child in me to experience Disney in a whole new light.

It was just a cool funzone place for big kids and little kids alike. I especially liked the comic book virtual lazer-sword (Ride The Comix) and Cyberspace Mountain (brought back memories of me creating a rollercoaster at Epcot in Innoventions in the early 1980s, but DQ Chicago took it a step further). In the rollercoaster building room with all the computers, I did notice a few hidden mickeys.

I guess in each of the two years I was there I experienced the Hurcules 3-D game and then a year later, the Pirates of Carribbean Battle For Buccaneer Gold -- both located in the same section. Also Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride was a very interesting experience. I was told there was a hidden mickey in the queque but was not able to find it.

In addition to DQ Chicago I also took in ESPNZone, just a block or two down Ohio Street, grabbed a burger at Billy Goat's, caught a Cubs game at Wrigley, a Brian Setzer gig at the House of Blues, and hit Navy Pier. I have not been back to Chicago since August 2001, but I wonder what my experience will be like without visiting DisneyQuest Chicago in the Windy City.

At least I have a few DQ gamecards for my Disney collection -- one with Buzz Lightyear and the other with Jolly Roger.

I took an assortment of pictures, but I need to find them. Maybe, in time once I locate them, I will add them to this web site.

MickeyTigg

It was okay....certainly not worth the drive into Chicago for the day. We went once and that was enough. I'd have rather spent the day in the museums.

Erika

The food at DQ Chicago was provided by the Cheesecake Factory. They carried Disney Quest logoed merchandise which made for interesting pin trading when they closed and we visited WDW later that year. We visited a few times. What I think was the major problem with DQ Chicago was the location. I live and grew up on the NW side of the city. We just didn't go downtown on the weekends. If they had opened say near Woodfield or one of the other big suburban malls, they might have had a chance.

I have to agree- it probably would have fared much better at Woodfield or even Oak Brook.

It was okay....certainly not worth the drive into Chicago for the day. We went once and that was enough. I'd have rather spent the day in the museums.

We went twice. The first time was fun. The second time, everything seemed run down/dirty/broken. It didn't even seem Disney anymore.

sillykid

It would of been great near Woodfield. No parking, hurt since a lot of people would go from the burbs and it was mom's and kids. There was no feel of Disney either.

rdour@techminds

Original Poster
I was afraid of that. The lack of the Disney feel probably had somethin to do with the feelings some of you have on this one. SOmething like DQ needs return visitors in order to survive. I'm happy to hear that Goofy did show up there once in a while. The ESPN Zone has some games, but it didn't quite have the Disney feel either. In fact, it didn't have a sports bar feel. I got a Disney feeling when it came to the price of my meal though! Expensive. The food was OK, but not spectacular. The service was OK, but not Disney.

Now, if only Disney would bring something small and nice to Chicago that could let us get our fix. Hmm, maybe a real Disney owned store or a local single attraction. Would be nice if they had some involvement at Navy Peer.

In venues that have regular fireworks like Navy Peer, it would be wonderful if some real pros like Disney got involved. I really do compare all fireworks I see to Disney, as most just fail to live up to the quality. The music is usually garbage, and has no original track portions at all. It doesn't tell a story, just a few oohs and aahs, all over, too bad.

Ryan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom