Downtown Disney Pleasure Island bus stop permanently closing

disney4life2008

Indeed. Unless you were coming out of Cirque perhaps, it was just as easy to walk to the Pleasure Island bus stop.

Marketplace will be the only stop for the time being. Eventually it will close as well, to be replaced with one centrally located bus facility. As @Bolt noted above, the current site of the Pleasure Island stops is slated to become The Landing section of the development (though I wasn't expecting them to start this soon). I believe the Marketplace stops will also be home to 2-3 future shops.

Given the amount of parking currently closed in Downtown Disney, I have to imagine the bus will remain more convenient, unless perhaps the West Side is your primary destination.

Dangit - I completely forgot about that. Parking at DD was a mess anyway. Luckily if I rent a car in August I will not be wasting my time at DD anyway. There is nothing there that interests me.

StageFrenzy

Boy does this have "Bold New Vision" written all over it.

Hope that bit of sarcasm came across.

The quotes make it drip despite the supposed dryness. DTD will be adequate when it opens in its phoenix like form. But it probably would have been better just to burn it all down and start from scratch making it a true metaphor, rather than putting everyone through all this hassle and shenanigans to keep it open.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
The quotes make it drip despite the supposed dryness. DTD will be adequate when it opens in its phoenix like form. But it probably would have been better just to burn it all down and start from scratch making it a true metaphor, rather than putting everyone through all this hassle and shenanigans to keep it open.

When I skimmed this post I thought for sure you were speaking to the Poly Construction. :oops:

flFigment

Remember, the reason for this move is the massive new construction going on at Downtown Disney/Disney Springs.

Kind of exactly what I consider a
"Bold New Vision".
I will hold my opinion of the Bold New Vision on the Disney Springs project that looks like something from the Villages.
I am holding my opinion on the entire project waiting to see how truly Disney this project is or is it going to be a glorified outdoor mall of other companies and Disney just collecting royalties and fees for use of their buildings.

This area has been sitting for 6 years bringing in no revenue for them and being a huge eyesore. It was one of the few places that adults could go at Disney and enjoy themselves. I cant ever remember going to Pleasure Island and saying darn I wish there was more shopping here instead of the Adventures Club or Comedy . The closed it with the tag line that they had "A Bold New Vision." A bold new vision that takes 6 to 7 years to build? Ok Epcot took three years to build, 3 years to build Animal Kingdom, 4 years to build the Magic Kingdom. I cant wait to see what they can do with 7 years of building time. I know people will say it takes longer because they have to demolish the buildings and build new. I will agree with this to a point but it seems the TDO closed Pleasure Island with no true plans of having anything replace it.

I'm sorry it looks like the Villages on the released drawings and pictures.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I will hold my opinion of the Bold New Vision on the Disney Springs project that looks like something from the Villages.
I am holding my opinion on the entire project waiting to see how truly Disney this project is or is it going to be a glorified outdoor mall of other companies and Disney just collecting royalties and fees for use of their buildings.

This area has been sitting for 6 years bringing in no revenue for them and being a huge eyesore. It was one of the few places that adults could go at Disney and enjoy themselves. I cant ever remember going to Pleasure Island and saying darn I wish there was more shopping here instead of the Adventures Club or Comedy . The closed it with the tag line that they had "A Bold New Vision." A bold new vision that takes 6 to 7 years to build? Ok Epcot took three years to build, 3 years to build Animal Kingdom, 4 years to build the Magic Kingdom. I cant wait to see what they can do with 7 years of building time. I know people will say it takes longer because they have to demolish the buildings and build new. I will agree with this to a point but it seems the TDO closed Pleasure Island with no true plans of having anything replace it.

I'm sorry it looks like the Villages on the released drawings and pictures.
Disney Springs construction really began in Summer 2013, and will be finished mid 2016, so it is nowhere close to 6 or 7 years to build. The closures of the old clubs do not count towards construction time for Disney Springs.

I think doubling the number of restaurants and stores, adding 2 parking structures, increasing the road to 10 lanes, adding dedicated bus lanes counts as being pretty bold.

Some of the new location are going to make the old clubs look like dumps.

Kman101

Disney also recognizes, IMO, that many guests travel off-site (more-so those outside of the US) to the Outlet malls so they are trying to capture that business. I can't blame them for that, and Downtown Disney is much in need of a makeover. I'm looking forward to the finished product. They need a more upscale shopping district.

A lot of locals complain, from what I've heard, that DTD and CityWalk are just too touristy for them. I agree with that. Both seem to be trying to make it a little more inviting, IMO.

ToTBellHop

Disney Springs construction really began in Summer 2013, and will be finished mid 2016, so it is nowhere close to 6 or 7 years to build. The closures of the old clubs do not count towards construction time for Disney Springs.

I think doubling the number of restaurants and stores, adding 2 parking structures, increasing the road to 10 lanes, adding dedicated bus lanes counts as being pretty bold.

Agreed. It is absurd to suggest this isn't a bold update. Whether we will like the finished product is up for debate, of course, but it will be quite different on completion.

PhotoDave219

I am hoping the central facility will be efficient with plenty of space. Still another reason monorails should be expanded.

Monorails are not part of this project. However… Leaving expansion room for the terminus of the light rail system that runs from downtown Disney, down international drive to city walk, that would be bloody genius.

It's my understanding that an entirely new marketplace bus stop will be constructed as part of this project.

I'm also hearing the current parking garage will be… Should I say targeted to be… Open by Christmas. The second parking garage should be open by 2016.

PhotoDave219

It's entirely bold and long-overdue.

It's just a disaster at the moment…

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Monorails are not part of this project. However… Leaving expansion room for the terminus of the light rail system that runs from downtown Disney, down international drive to city walk, that would be bloody genius.

It's my understanding that an entirely new marketplace bus stop will be constructed as part of this project.

I'm also hearing the current parking garage will be… Should I say targeted to be… Open by Christmas. The second parking garage should be open by 2016.
There will just be one bus stop when finished, between the two garages.

The first garage is indeed set for late 2014 opening.

maxairmike

They had better get hustling on that off-ramp extension system, then. I know they just finished repaving most of the 536 ramps, though I'm not sure if they did the EPCOT ramp, which would be the one that's getting modified. In that new rendering it also looked like a fair chunk will need to be taken out of the lot in front of Cirque closest to the road, so I'd expect to see that area being walled off soon as well, if it hasn't been already.

wdwfan4ver

I have no problem with one bus stop because it actually would make it more efficient from a transportation standpoint in terms of times going from hotel stops to Downtown Disney. In the past before the construction, I found taking a boat or a car is faster than using a Disney Bus from your hotel to Downtown Disney in the time of the year most of trips were for me.

I see walking distance to a Disney bus stop being an issue for some people though based on how big Downtown Disney is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom