Downtown Disney - Parking Policy Change

Stevek

Original Poster
"Effective August 16, 2017, the parking policy will be updated to provide 2 hours of free parking when you make a $20 minimum purchase and receive validation from any Downtown Disney location (including quick-service restaurants and kiosks)—or up to 4 hours of free parking with validation from any Downtown Disney table-service restaurant or AMC Theatres movie experience.

Beyond these validations, each additional hour will cost $12, charged in 30-minute increments, with a minimum $6 charge after the initial 15-minute grace period. Additionally, the maximum daily parking and lost ticket fees will increase from $36 to $48."

So it looks like if I wanted to go shopping for an hour and can't find what I'm looking for OR if I just wanted to stop by and get lunch (for under $20), that trip is now going to cost me an additional $12. Seriously, they really are making it unattractive to visit.

Stevek

Original Poster
I'm guessing this is a supply and demand. Probably too many people parking at DTD and using the parks/DTD as a mall for a few hours without buying anything.
Exactly, which hoses those of us that did spend money. It's ridiculous that while Disney Springs is building parking to encourage guests to visit, DTD Anaheim is doing everything they can to discourage guests UNLESS you absolutely know you are going to spend money. Oh, and it's $20 at one location, you can't combine receipts. It's pretty weak and once again, like the AP population, they've created this monster by failing to plan properly i.e. build more parking before it becomes a problem.

shortstop

Exactly, which hoses those of us that did spend money. It's ridiculous that while Disney Springs is building parking to encourage guests to visit, DTD Anaheim is doing everything they can to discourage guests UNLESS you absolutely know you are going to spend money. Oh, and it's $20 at one location, you can't combine receipts. It's pretty weak and once again, like the AP population, they've created this monster by failing to plan properly i.e. build more parking before it becomes a problem.
I agree that it is an unfortunate situation. I think sadly it's a case of a few people abusing the system enough to ruin it for others. Parking at DTD is certainly a pain, which makes me wish even more they could get this eastern gateway project going.

Stevek

Original Poster
I agree that it is an unfortunate situation. I think sadly it's a case of a few people abusing the system enough to ruin it for others. Parking at DTD is certainly a pain, which makes me wish even more they could get this eastern gateway project going.
That probably won't solve the problem as the folks parking in DTD are looking for free parking. Eastern Gateway as well as the existing lots will still cost to park.

Phroobar

So when does parking go completely away from DTD for that new hotel? Then how are you suppose to visit to shop?

GiveMeTheMusic

So when does parking go completely away from DTD for that new hotel? Then how are you suppose to visit to shop?

The hotel is supposed to open with a new DTD parking structure. As you can tell if you've been to DTD recently, neither have made much, if any progress.

TP2000

We all know that the Downtown Disney parking lots have been the unofficially official Annual Passholder Parking Lots since at least Disneyland's 50th Anniversary in '05. This is a change they should have made to the parking rates before DCA's relaunch in 2012. I'm surprised it took them this long to figure it out. Way overdue.

drizgirl

We all know that the Downtown Disney parking lots have been the unofficially official Annual Passholder Parking Lots since at least Disneyland's 50th Anniversary in '05. This is a change they should have made to the parking rates before DCA's relaunch in 2012. I'm surprised it took them this long to figure it out. Way overdue.
We never have a car at DLR so I haven't paid too much attention to the parking situation. How have the APs been using the DTD parking? Aren't there parking limits in place already?

Travel Junkie

The few have ruined it for everyone. It's not hard to spot people parking in DTD and obviously going nowhere but the theme park.

That being said they are really making it difficult to visit DTD only. There are too many other malls in the area that don't charge parking that are the same or better.

TP2000

We never have a car at DLR so I haven't paid too much attention to the parking situation. How have the APs been using the DTD parking? Aren't there parking limits in place already?

Not really. For over a decade the first three hours were free, then it was like $3 an hour thereafter. AP's fill up that lot by Noon and take the monorail into the park, bum around for the afternoon, then monorail back to their car and leave with free parking or a $3 to $6 tab. Much cheaper than parking in Mickey & Friends for $15 bucks in the late 2000's, or $20 today.

A couple years ago they changed it to only two hours of free parking instead of three hours, and finally increased the rates over the past five years to the current $12 per hour. But the damage had already been done and the AP entitlement culture took root; it was the official Annual Passholder Parking Lot at free or highly discounted rates.

Last edited:

drizgirl

Not really. For over a decade the first three hours were free, then it was like $3 an hour thereafter. AP's fill up that lot by Noon and take the monorail into the park, bum around for the afternoon, then monorail back to their car and leave with free parking or a $3 to $6 tab. Much cheaper than parking in Mickey & Friends for $15 bucks in the late 2000's, or $20 today.
Wow. What a crazy huge loophole. Thanks for explaining.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom