downloading digital photos onsite?

bshertzer

Original Poster
We're going to be at wdw 4/16-4/23 with way too many people. Not that that matters, i'm just not crazy about the idea :rolleyes:

ANYways, is there anywhere onsite that i can take my memory stick from my digital cam, to have the pics burned to a cd. i guess i could go get more sticks, and not worry about it, but if there is someplace that does this it would be perfect.

i dont want to get the pics developed (or printed for that matter) until after i can sit down, go thru them, and decide then. if i had a laptop, that would be perfect, but i dont, so it's off to plan B

Thanks Brian

tigsmom

wannab@dis said:
My best advice is to do a search because this topic is covered all the time. There's some great information that's been posted about moving the images to CD, where to do it (parks or off-site) and the prices (on-site is fairly expensive).

Here's a thread that may give you the information you need.
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=48954&highlight=digital+pictures

Beat me to it. :lol:

I went with two fairly large memory chips, but ended up only using one. I had over 300 pics (on one chip) and I dealt with them when I got home.
Read thru the above link and you should get some good ideas. :wave:

jasonk

Each park has a camera shop that will be able to burn your pictures to a disk. The cost is around $12 and takes about 10 minutes.

tigsmom

jasonk said:
Each park has a camera shop that will be able to burn your pictures to a disk. The cost is around $12 and takes about 10 minutes.

A few minutes off site (Walgreens on 192) it only cost $4. To some people that might not matter, but to others it may.

Its an interesting discussion in the linked thread and has some great info. :wave:

Thrawn

Account Suspended
There are also devices that are basically a hard drive and a card reader built together, you put the flash card from your camera in, and it transfers the pictures onto the hard drive. No computer necessary. I'm looking for a link to one, but they are a hard thing to search for.

tigsmom

TAC said:
I guess that also depends if you staying on-site or off-site, and if you have a car or not. :wave:

If I'm not mistaken (and I'm too lazy to read that old thread right now) there was a way to get to one by DTD by bus from the resorts. May take a bit of time though.(but maybe that was for grocery shopping :lol: )

tigsmom

Thrawn said:
There are also devices that are basically a hard drive and a card reader built together, you put the flash card from your camera in, and it transfers the pictures onto the hard drive. No computer necessary. I'm looking for a link to one, but they are a hard thing to search for.

I think PhotoDave mentioned that...

I'm not sure, but I think its something like this?

http://www.xs-drive.com/

This is so not my area of expertise. Dave is away this weekend, but maybe you could PM him?

Thrawn

Account Suspended
tigsmom said:
I think PhotoDave mentioned that...

I'm not sure, but I think its something like this?

http://www.xs-drive.com/

This is so not my area of expertise. Dave is away this weekend, but maybe you could PM him?

I don't see a post by him in this thread ....

But yes, those are the type of things I was talking about. Though that particular one is only selling to Europe.

tigsmom

Thrawn said:
I don't see a post by him in this thread ....

But yes, those are the type of things I was talking about. Though that particular one is only selling to Europe.

I went thru the thread too, maybe it was in another or Chat... these things all run together in my aged brain. :lol:

barnum42

tigsmom said:
A few minutes off site (Walgreens on 192) it only cost $4. To some people that might not matter, but to others it may.
The price difference gets me an African Stew at Animal Kingdom Lodge :slurp: :lol:

There was one near AKL on 192 (hook a right at the crossroads after you exit the Lodge, follow the road to the end, hook another right and there it is). There is another on the way to Kissimme on 192 which I passed to and from my hotel. It turned out to be just as easy for me using these as I stay off site.

tigsmom

barnum42 said:
The price difference gets me an African Stew at Animal Kingdom Lodge :slurp: :lol:

There was one near AKL on 192 (hook a right at the crossroads after you exit the Lodge, follow the road to the end, hook another right and there it is). There is another on the way to Kissimme on 192 which I passed to and from my hotel. It turned out to be just as easy for me using these as I stay off site.

And I know how much that stew means to you. :lol:

AEfx

Best idea is just to invest in more memory before you go and forget about transfering to CD at WDW.

Why for? ;)

1. Media is getting cheaper all the time. A 512MB compactflash card is like $40 at Dell.com right now - I'm sure you can find it for even less. (LOL, I have to laugh at this - my first PC - not counting my old Commie64 - had 5MB of RAM total, LOL).

2. You don't have to worry about quality of transfer, verification, or anything else that could cause you to lose your pictures.

3. You don't have the hassle of trying to transfer and the outrageous prices (someone said the Disney one was like $12 above, but I believe you only get a certain amount of pics for that price - if you have a large card I believe it will cost you much more).

4. By using multiple cards (and storing the extras in your room safe) you will have extra insurance in case something happens (your card gets fried, etc.) and won't loose all your pics.

5. A CD is a lot more fragile than most media cards

I'm a big advocate of buying more media - I bring a few 512MB cards and that's always enough for me. Considering what I used to pay for developing and film, investing a few bucks in extra cards that are reusable for years and years is really a better value in the long run.

Good luck!

AEfx

brich

I agree that having a few extra memory cards is a good idea. On my last trip, I borrowed a portable, stand alone cd burner and backed up my cards to CD every night. The device, which I can't remember the name right now, was roughly $250. It worked great. No bigger than a music cd player with card slots on the front. This year, I'll be bringing my iPod Photo, courtesy of a Christmas Gift from my wife and kids... So the moral of my story is this. If at all possible, burn cds or use a portable device to "Back Up" your pics but have enough memory cards so that you don't need to erase while on vacation.... :D

jasonchas

I agree about buying an extra card. They are getting cheeper by the day. they are also smaller than CD's and you dont have to worry about getting the burned.

As mentioned. The cost is $12 per CD and takes about 10 min. The CM's don't like for you to drop off a card and pick it up later. So you have to hang around until they are finished. I've also noticed that the burners son't work at times. Each park has a camera center.

I highly suggest buying a large mem card. You will probably save money in the long run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom