Downgrading Disneyland

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Okay, there appear to be stories coming out now that Paul Pressler may be making a return to Disney as Eisner's replacement. Just wanted to post a couple of his "achievements" while he was president of Disneyland.
I got this off of savedisney.com
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Downgrading Disneyland

Disneyland attractions closed (or planned to close) during Paul Pressler's tenure as President of Disneyland and Disney's Parks and Resorts division:

Skyway (no replacement)
Main Street Electrical Parade (replacement, Light Magic, was an expensive failure)
PeopleMover (replacement, Rocket Rods, was closed after budget cuts in design created expensive operational problems)
Rocket Jets (oddly moved from dramatic high perch, as Walt himself had designed on napkin sketch for Tomorrowland '67)
CircleVision 360 (replacement only now under construction)
Swiss Family Treehouse (replaced by Tarzan promotion)
Captain EO (replaced by EPCOT's Honey I Shrunk the Audience)
Cascade Peak (the lovely waterfalls over Rivers of America needed an overhaul, were torn down instead)
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes (later reopened by popular demand)
Country Bear Jamboree (replaced with cheap Pooh ride that can accommodate fewer guests)
Submarine Voyage (no replacement - a recent SaveDisney poll listed this as your most-missed Disneyland attraction)

JackSkellington

I am not too encouraged by his "achievements" he looks like bad news. But we will have to wait and see this one out. Thanks cherry for the info.

CalDisney

You know what I hate??
Presslers Stunt ...
I just got off of Star Tours!!! Nice gift shop!!!!
or Small World and Now Tower of Terror!!!!

there are more Shops then Attractions Thanks to the Money
Hungry Idiot!!!

Paul Presslers Bad News anyway you look at it!!!
Might as well keep Eisner!!!:brick: :brick: :brick:

JackSkellington

Might as well keep Eisner!!!:brick: :brick: :brick: [/B][/QUOTE]

WHAT??!!??!!? Oh man my heart just stopped again.............
Ok there we go, got her goin' again. Don't do that to me.
:eek:
:fork:

Merlin

Account Suspended
Originally posted by CalDisney

I agree! Pressler would definitely not be an improvement over Eisner. At least Eisner was good at one time (not that I think that's an excuse for keeping him on board now). But Paul Pressler and Cynthia Harriss are two people who never did anything good for Disney.

JackSkellington

Why do they bring in all the old no good CEO's? I mean get someone new, fresh, and with a clean slate. Perhaps he/she will do the company some good.
"Thats why they call him Pinwheel Walt"-Tombstone

cherrynegra

Original Poster
Originally posted by CalDisney
You know what I hate??
Presslers Stunt ...
I just got off of Star Tours!!! Nice gift shop!!!!
or Small World and Now Tower of Terror!!!!

there are more Shops then Attractions Thanks to the Money
Hungry Idiot!!!

This doesn't surprise me since his background is completely retail. And look where he's wound up. At Gap. Ugh, it just gets more and more depressing. Losers.

LadyDarling

A few comments on the info:

Skyway (no replacement) - This was removed due to political reasons. They could not make the one in Disneyland handy cap accessable on both ends. Why it has no replacement, I do not know.
Main Street Electrical Parade (replacement, Light Magic, was an expensive failure) - It's back in DCA. (and I'm one of those "weirdos" who enjoyed Light Magic, though I'll admit, by comparison, I enjoy the Main Street Electrical Parade more.)
PeopleMover (replacement, Rocket Rods, was closed after budget cuts in design created expensive operational problems) - I agree that the people mover should be brought back.
Rocket Jets (oddly moved from dramatic high perch, as Walt himself had designed on napkin sketch for Tomorrowland '67) - This was to keep some sort of consistancy with Tomorrowland MK's look when it was changed to the "Astro Orbitor" and is still widely popular.
CircleVision 360 (replacement only now under construction) - Made a great Pre-show while the Rocket Rods were up and running.
Swiss Family Treehouse (replaced by Tarzan promotion) - I far enjoy the Tarazan treehouse more. The Swiss family one was very dated and proving a security problem (you wouldn't believe how people jump the ropes...).
Captain EO (replaced by EPCOT's Honey I Shrunk the Audience) - Again, Captain EO was becoming outdated. I think this was an improvement.
Cascade Peak (the lovely waterfalls over Rivers of America needed an overhaul, were torn down instead) - Minor detail.
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes (later reopened by popular demand) - Yup, and still popular. Keel boats are still closed. It's a busy waterway! I don't think he'll repeat this.
Country Bear Jamboree (replaced with cheap Pooh ride that can accommodate fewer guests) - Pooh is VERY popular and has some great special effects. Though I would have rather had both, this is again, and improvement.
Submarine Voyage (no replacement - a recent SaveDisney poll listed this as your most-missed Disneyland attraction) - Still could make a come back you never know.

If guests and shareholders stay as vocal as they are right now, I'm sure the past won't repeat itself! Some good things did happen during his reign too. Tomorrowland DESPERATELY needed and overhaul and looks MUCH better now. Though they had some problems last year with attractions flooding when it rained too much, but it hadn't rained in a long time. Hard to know if you've got a leak if it never rains! :)

Hopin' for the best here. If not, ;) that's why I'm a share holder. I can make some noise!

imagineer boy

Gosh, to be perfectly honest with you guys, I'll have to say that I'd perfer Eisner over Pressler anyday. Although I do still hate Eisner. Just imagine the horror that Pressler would bring.:(

mightduck748

Country Bear Jamboree (replaced with cheap Pooh ride that can accommodate fewer guests) - Pooh is VERY popular and has some great special effects. Though I would have rather had both, this is again, and improvement

It could been like Disneyworld and Mr Todd got the ax...

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
Pooh Popular?

I'm sorry, when do you visit the park Lady Darling?

Pooh is no more popular than the less busy Fantasyland attractions.

When I think 'busy' I think Splash, Space or even Big thunder.

Opening day was the busiest ever for that attraction, its rarely more than a 15-20 minute wait.

LadyDarling

Pooh I've visited in both Disneyworld and Disneyland. True, it is more busy in Disneyworld, however one reason I think the lines are within 15-20 minutes isn't due to the ride not being popular. it's due to the number of cars on the tracks, and the fact that it is fairly efficent with loading and unloading. People had been begging for a Pooh attraction for years, and replacement of the Country Bears. They were finally heard. It is a Fantasyland like attraction, in that it's a dark-house ride through a story, but the special effects in places are still creative and inventive. I know I don't have kids, and am not a big Pooh fan, but I ride every time I go. Splash Moutain is not a terribly efficient loader and unloader (you have to wait for people to get out before you can get in) - same with Big Thunder and others, which is one reason why their waits can get so long. Not that Pooh is great either (the most effiecent is probably the Haunted Mansion, until you have to deal with someone who doesn't walk well, when they have to stop the ride momentarily) as far as loading and unloading goes, but it has a steady flow of folks. That marks it as busy in my book.

paulcmartens

Account Suspended
I guess I just don't think its very inventive (except for the water drops rain sequence).

When you compare Snow White, or Peter Pan to Honey, you'll see that there is a longer wait for Peter Pan and Snow White (and now we are comparing same style of loading).

LadyDarling

Snow White, when I go, usually has little to no wait. Maybe I just get lucky, but I walk right on. Peter pan is a phenomon. It's a great ride, and every inventive - we're agreed there! :D
It's true that Pooh doesn't necessarily break new ground, but sometimes the old formula works. I think one thing that isn't in Pooh's favor (which helped out in the popularity of the one at WDW), is it's location. It is sort of tucked away. In WDW, it is in Fantasyland with other like attractions.
And there is always the philosphy that "if it ain't broke don't fix it!" I think Pooh's popularity with only grow. I'll let you know what the crowd looks like as I'm on my way up this Wednesday!
:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom