Down where it's Wetter, the Cupcakes are Better; Take it from Me! June 2013 TR

Hi there, good to see you! Hello, welcome! This trip report includes tales of rain, sunshine, and of course lots and lots of food!

Cast: The group this time around is the Three Amigos. There is me, the 21-year-old photographer, writer, and all around Disney-nut. I go by Emily to the Non-Disneyites in the world. Next would be my wonderful mom, Tuvalu, the extraordinary planner and guide (and just may be a bigger nut than myself)! Finally we have my dad, chauffer, Disney-convert, and bread winner that allows my mom and me to take all these trips! Unfortunately, my dad ended up having to work a lot on this trip (he considered it a working vacay), so his involvement in the TR will be somewhat limited.

Reasoning: Why not, right? Actually, we have our annual big WDW vacation scheduled for August (we take shorter jaunts to the world throughout the year, but August is always our long “vacation”). However, with my trip to Disneyland in March, I had not been back to the World since December and that was just too long! I slyly convinced my parents that we should “bookend” the summer with trips to Disney. I’m so sneaky! :D

Logistics: Since this was a short trip, it needed to be done on the cheap. Originally we were booked 4 nights at POFQ. However, that just wasn’t going to cut it, so my dad used his Hilton points to book us a free night at the Doubletree Downtown Disney on the front end of the trip. Score! But wait, it turns out the original departure date wasn’t going to correspond with Dad’s work schedule. o_O I guess we’ll have to leave a day earlier. He actually had enough points to book a 2-night stay at the Hilton Bonnet Creek. So a 4-night jaunt turned into a 6-night jaunt! :D The first 2 nights were at Hilton Bonnet Creek and the last 4 nights were at POFQ.

Alright, enough jibber jabber. Everybody neat and pretty? Then, on with the show!

6/3: Departure day

My alarm went off at 5:45- early, but that’s okay since we were leaving for Disney! We pulled out of our driveway at 6:15 in order to avoid Atlanta Rush hour traffic. I promptly fell back asleep and awoke as we were pulling into breakfast at the glorious Chick fil A! A chicken biscuit and full bellies later, we got back on I-75 anticipating the dull drive through South Georgia. Dad had a teleconference to attend so he was shunned to the back seat while Mom and I gabbed up front (quietly, of course!).

We stopped in Gainesville for lunch at Bono’s BBQ to redeem a coupon we had received there in December. The food was out fast and delicious (love me some BBQ) and we were back on the road within a half hour. Around 2:30 we got a glimpse of this:

Hooray, we made it!

Dad checked us in and we headed up to the room. We were on the 14th floor with a view of the Studios, Art of Animation/Pop, and Epcot. The room was really nice (even better that it was free!).

Plus, it had a great pool!

Oh hey Studios/AK!

Mom and I literally threw on our suits and were out the door to try to beat the rain. Fortunately, it didn’t rain. However, it was super cloudy and we didn’t get much sun. We went around the lazy river a couple of times and then headed back inside.

I have recently gotten in to running, so I hit up the fitness center in order to cancel out some of the anticipated calories to be consumed throughout the week. Then it was time to shower, change, and head out to dinner!

We headed off property, which is usually forbidden on my Disney vacations. However, since we were staying off property and weren’t heading into a park that day, I allowed it. We ate at Pizzeria Uno which is one of our favorites. We got a deep dish with pepperoni, onion, and roasted red pepper. I was so excited to dig in that I totally forgot to take a picture! It was absolutely delish.

However, I didn’t forget to take a picture of the much anticipated dessert!

As you can tell we had a hard time finishing it.

After that, we went back to the room and had a spectacular sunset!

We watched Cake Boss and Little People, Big World before hitting the sack.

Next up: A trip to the MK and crossing food off the list!

jkl2000

Wetter...Cupcakes...it's all starting to make sense now!

Hey, quite a prevalence of paper plates at WDW these days, eh? Kind of strange. Even for the chicken quesadillas!

Sandurz

We immediately split up: Mom headed to Peter Pan to grab some Fastpasses while Dad and I veered right to Space Mountain. We waited 20 minutes for Space and I got the very back seat. Yahoo- it’s a wild ride in the back. Plus we got track Alpha, which in my opinion is far superior to Bravo!

Which track is which? I never realized they had fancy names :p

Gotta love that back seat though!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Wetter...Cupcakes...it's all starting to make sense now!

Hey, quite a prevalence of paper plates at WDW these days, eh? Kind of strange. Even for the chicken quesadillas!

Get it? :D Any yup, all QS/Snack places except BOG and Landscape of Flavors at AoA use paper products. Kinda stinky.

Which track is which? I never realized they had fancy names :p

Gotta love that back seat though!

Alpha is the track where the cue goes left, Bravo is the track on the right. Alpha has bigger and more hills, Bravo tends to be more circular corkscrews. I love the back, but I also love the front, too.

Those treats look so good! I love your pictures!
Thanks for reading! The treats were delicious! :p

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
6/6: Surviving Andrea

It’s always nice to wake up at Disney feeling refreshed and ready to take on the day. It’s not so nice when you wake up in the middle of a tornado warning. :eek: We live in Georgia, so tornados are nothing new to us, but it doesn’t mean we like to conquer the parks in them! Tropical Storm Andrea had made her debut in the most magical way.

We got ready anyways and waited for the warning to expire at 8:00 am. Dad had had an overnight crisis come up at work, so unfortunately he would not be able to join us at the Studios. He actually was stuck in the room listening to the rain and teleconferences all day with just enough break to grab something in the Food Court and come back to the room.

Mom and I suited up with jackets, umbrellas, and my Chacos (seriously the best rainy footwear at Disney) and headed out into Andrea’s wake. The whole morning was a steady downpour of rain. We made our way to the bus and then headed to the Studios.

A rainy day at the Studios is better than a sunny day at home, right?

We actually made it to the park by opening with all of the Cast Members cheering us on through the rain. The best part was not having to walk with a mass of people to TSMM- I guess Andrea scared a few people off.

I grabbed us TSMM fastpasses and then we hopped in the standby line. While we were waiting outside, a man stopped us and gave us two more fastpasses. They were for 10:05 am, so he must have been the first person to the machines and I couldn’t believe he didn’t want them! We waited less than 15 minutes and got to go up the secret party-of-two right side staircase.

I like TSMM, but I’m not one who loves it. I think the wait times are absolutely ridiculous and only enjoy it when I can walk on in the morning or with a FP. However, my super competitive mother loves it and can pull the string on the cannon/gun faster than anyone I’ve ever seen. She also does not ride RnR or TOT, so I wanted to be nice to her today. That being said, we eventually rode it 3 times in one day which I think is a record for us. And we never had to wait.

We then sloshed down Sunset Boulevard to see if I could hop on RnR as a single rider. The ride was actually shut down. We then went to ToT and stood in the rain for 20 minutes before being let into the Library.

Welcome to the Tower of Terror!

I rode by myself and my mom took the real elevator down to the gift store. My ride was awesome- it even had the fake ending of the window breaking and then we shot up for another drop!

When we got to the gift store Andrea had opened up even more- it looked like a monsoon outside! We tried to wait it out, but we decided that we were going to get wet anyways and slushed back to Pixar Place for our first TSMM fastpass.

After that, we ducked into One Man’s Dream to kill some time until our other TSMM FP. I hadn’t been in there in a while, so it was a double win: dry and interesting!

I love the models!

She may be small, but she is beautiful!

Oh Paradise Pier, how I miss you!

We then watched the movie which I haven’t seen in years. I understand that the recordings of Walt’s voice are fairly rough, since they came from the 50s and 60s. However, I should not struggle to hear Julie Andrew’s narration that was recorded in the early 2000s! It was insane how poor the speakers worked.

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
From the exit, we popped the umbrellas up and walked back to TSMM, where Mom completed the trifecta of having the top score in the vehicle every time we rode.

We then decided to eat lunch at Pizza Planet. I actually really love the mass-produced pizzas!

I had the pepperoni, Mom had the vegetable.

And then I got to have this bad boy:

The Darth Vader Cupcake that was special to SWW! (And it wasn’t even on my list!)

Spoiler alert: this was my FAVORITE cupcake I tried this trip. The peanut butter icing was to die for- oh so creamy to go along with the chocolate cake. And the Darth Vader chocolate on top? The deepest, darkest semi-sweet chocolate that I was so kind to let my mom have a bite of! :p

After lunch, we ran into MuppetVision 3D where the effects were on high gear- let’s just say they must have filled the bubble machine with dish detergent!

Then we walked through even harder rain to ride Great Movie Ride. We literally walked on and got Western, which we haven’t seen in a while. Plus, our bank robber was a man- even better (usually we get old ladies- no joke).

Hold it there, Hombre!

Then we slushed into line for Voyage of the Little Mermaid. Mom and I LOVE this show- if just for the dancing turtle in “Under the Sea”. When the show concluded and the doors opened, everyone started to cheer because it wasn’t raining! In fact, it was almost kind of sunny! It didn’t last long, but we enjoyed it while we could.

I again tried to ride RnR, but it was down again. I was rocking my Oozma Kappa t-shirt from Monsters University, so I really wanted to get my picture with Mike and Sulley in their MU gear.

However, we walked all the way there to find out they may not come out during their next appearance because of the wet floors. L

We decided to exit the Studios and head over to try another treat. Plus, check it out- doesn’t look like rain just in WDW!

Pooh'sBuddy

Great pics and report! Keep 'em coming! We flew in on Wednesday, the 5th and were at MK on the 6th. The crowds were lighter than expected there, too.

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Great TR! Thanks for sharing! I have to put those cupcakes on my list of must do "eats".:D

Thanks! You will not be disappointed!!

Great pics and report! Keep 'em coming! We flew in on Wednesday, the 5th and were at MK on the 6th. The crowds were lighter than expected there, too.

Thanks for reading! The weather on the 6th was awful, but we just sucked it up and had fun anyways!

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
It looked like TS Andrea was giving us a break:

We made it here by boat:

To try this little beauty:

The Oreo Bon Bon Cupcake! Please excuse the terrible presentation, it was shoved in a “to-go” container.

Okay, my mom and I split this one. The frosting was really good, almost like a light cool whip and the Oreo filling in the center was delicious. I call this cupcake light and refreshing!

We then perused the gift store and walked to the bus stop, caught a new bus (smelled like paint) to MK and then transferred back to POFQ. Dad was finishing up his teleconference and then it was time to hop in the car and go to the Campground. We were dinin’ at Trails End! (Mom and I had made the ADR at lunch because it’s Dad’s favorite place and he had had a TERRIBLE day. It turned out to be a good thing that we didn’t try to walk-up because the Backyard BBQ was canceled and the place was mobbed!).

This is my favorite buffet on property. The food is just so good! And our waitress might have recognized us we’ve eaten there so many times…:oops:

We left the restaurant to almost sunny skies (the forecast said the rain was out!) and headed back to POFQ. We were exhausted and had crinkly toes (you know, the kind you get from being in the bathtub) so we hit the sack.

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
6/7: Why yes, we are going to MK again!

We awoke to beautiful skies with the promise of a great (dry!) day. Dad had some more meetings to attend in the morning, so Mom and I skipped breakfast and grabbed the bus to MK. By “grabbed” I clearly mean watching 4 Epcot buses, 2 AK buses, and 2 DHS buses come and leave before a MK bus arrived. Grrrhh…:mad:

We arrived in time to catch the MK Welcome Show! (I told you we are junkies…) And this morning Christopher George Weaver, the Mayor of Main Street, USA greeted us!

It was a beautiful morning at last!

We made our way down Main Street and noticed that there was something being filmed on the Castle Stage. The Fab Five were out with a good looking man clearly filming a TV spot. My mom asked who it was, and it turns out the man was the host of Brazil’s version of “American Idol” for kids. We saw the crew several more days all rocking their “Idolos Kids!” t-shirts, which I liked to say in a high pitched voice.

Two gardeners handed us these flowers to match our pink shirts! We stuck them in our bags and had them all day!

iPhoneography

The astute readers would have noticed that I said we skipped breakfast. By “skipped” I clearly meant holding out for this wonderful treat:

THE Nutella Waffle! We were the first in line at Sleepy Hollow and had a fresh waffle made just for us. We also grabbed a cookie because we’d never had Nutella before and wanted to have a back-up (we ended up not needing it!).

I grabbed a seat facing the Castle while my mom waited for our waffle. She had just set the waffle on the table when she noticed a giant squirrel on the wall behind me. This squirrel had that animal “look” when they are going to leap on the table. I tried to scare it away but this fat squirrel just would not budge. Afraid that I was going to be attacked, we moved to a less-scenic table on the other side of Sleepy Hollow. Apparently, the original squirrel gave his fatty friends a heads-up and two more squirrels were waiting for us! Not to mention the birds that sat on our table watching us eat. This is why Disney tells you not to feed the squirrels, people! I can’t eat my Nutella waffle in peace!

Anywho, the waffle was AWESOME! I am Nutella’s new #1 fan! In fact, my mom bought Belgian waffles, Nutella, and strawberries to have at home.

Thanks for almost ruining my breakfast, squirrel!

After breakfast we grabbed fastpasses for Ariel’s Undersea Adventure. From there we headed to BTMRR, where we could see the film crew preparing to shoot the “Idolos kids!” host in the train behind us.

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
We then walked past POTC, but it was currently closed. Convenient, as we saw the host and crew go in the side entrance….

We settled on Jungle Cruise, as did everybody else who wanted to ride POTC. They even made an announcement in the cue when POTC reopened. There might have been cheers.

Thanks for putting your hand up right as I took the picture, Lady-in-Front-of-Me.

We had an older gentleman skipper who had absolutely no comedic timing. He tried so hard, but the man just wasn’t even corny-funny.

Looks like they got it to turn over!

You can look, they have their trunks on!

After our less-than stellar two week cruise, we went to cash in our Ariel fastpasses.

Dad must have known we’d just surfaced from being under the sea and he texted Mom asking to meet for lunch. We decided on La Cantina in Epcot, so Mom and I hopped on my favorite WDW Railroad to take us to the front of the park.

From there, we had to take the resort monorail to the TTC because the express entrance was roped off. There were people arriving on the express, so I guess they don’t let you come back on the express until a certain time? Oh frustration! We transferred to the Epcot line and saw Dad waiting for us under Spaceship Earth as we took a tour of the park in the sky.

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
We met up with Dad and strolled to Mexico. I was able to grab a lovely outside table while my parents ordered the food.

Mom and I had the beef tacos and Dad had the chicken. The beef tasted like it had taken a bath in cilantro- perfecto! I’m not super crazy about the corn tortillas, but they ripped anyways and I ended up eating the beef with a fork.

After lunch, we of course had to see the Three Caballeros!

Unfortunately, Dad had another meeting to attend so he left me and Mom to return to POFQ. From there we walked to Norway!

After we survived going over de falls, we walked to Germany to go to Karamel Kuche to get Dad his favorite caramel treat. Can anyone else confirm that they definitely have shrunken the size of the caramels? They’re like two bites now!

Progressing clockwise around world showcase, we headed to cross another item off my list:

The S’mores Mousse Brownie at the Liberty Inn. I really enjoyed the graham cracker underneath the brownie, but it was crazy hard to eat! They had just taken it out of the refrigerator and the plastic utensils they have do not make it easy to enjoy this chocolaty goodness!

We wandered over to France to check out the new ice cream shop and bakery location. We didn’t partake in any goodies, but I wasn’t really impressed with the overall look of the ice cream shop. To me it seemed rather bland, lacking in decoration, and didn’t feel very welcoming. I don’t really know how to explain it, but I just wasn’t comfortable.

The new bakery was beautiful and we scoped out some heavenly looking chocolate chip cookies that we would end buying for the drive home.

We then continued on to Canada:

And then got some shots of these guys! :D

After that, we did some serious damage in Mouse Gear and waited 25 minutes for the POFQ. We decided that we were driving to Epcot the next day!

jkl2000

Probably not really the place for it, but why do you think the bus service to/from POFQ was so...delayed?

Oh, welcome to Nutella! How could you not have tried that? It's like Peanut Butter, only better!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Still following along and enjoying the report and the photos!

I'm disappointed in the look of both new French eateries. While the old bakery was definitely tiny, it had personality. The new bakery looks like a cafeteria, and the new ice cream shop has lost the personality of the prior occupant.

TrolleyFollower91

Original Poster
Probably not really the place for it, but why do you think the bus service to/from POFQ was so...delayed?

Oh, welcome to Nutella! How could you not have tried that? It's like Peanut Butter, only better!

Sometimes we had great bus service, sometimes it stunk. Many times we would also see buses back-to-back, meaning that they weren't spread out on the routes. I can't say it was just POFQ- we took a bus from Boardwalk to MK to transfer to POFQ and we waited 15 minutes. I think all-in-all the bus system just stinks. That's why I love the monorail resorts :D

And thanks! I can't believe I've never had it myself. I guess because I always thought the commercials were rather stupid ha. And I'm thinking Nutella paired with peanut butter has got to be a winner!!

Still following along and enjoying the report and the photos!

I'm disappointed in the look of both new French eateries. While the old bakery was definitely tiny, it had personality. The new bakery looks like a cafeteria, and the new ice cream shop has lost the personality of the prior occupant.

Thanks for following along!! I definitely agree about the new France. The new bakery is understandable due to the volume of people, but I definitely can empathize with your thoughts about it looking like a cafeteria. The new ice cream shop was highly disappointing though. I also have no desire to have my liquor and ice cream mixed :rolleyes:

armyfamilyof5

Sometimes we had great bus service, sometimes it stunk. Many times we would also see buses back-to-back, meaning that they weren't spread out on the routes. I can't say it was just POFQ- we took a bus from Boardwalk to MK to transfer to POFQ and we waited 15 minutes. I think all-in-all the bus system just stinks. That's why I love the monorail resorts :D

And thanks! I can't believe I've never had it myself. I guess because I always thought the commercials were rather stupid ha. And I'm thinking Nutella paired with peanut butter has got to be a winner!!

Thanks for following along!! I definitely agree about the new France. The new bakery is understandable due to the volume of people, but I definitely can empathize with your thoughts about it looking like a cafeteria. The new ice cream shop was highly disappointing though. I also have no desire to have my liquor and ice cream mixed :rolleyes:

We find the new bakery at France less than desirable, the "new" ne
polians are completely disappointing. We never make a special trip to get them anymore as they are the same ones sold at my local Publix.....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom