Doubletree Downtown Disney

Ausdaddy

Original Poster
I have a res for Dec. at the Doubletree in Downtown Disney. Normally, we stay at Disney resorts, but my infant daughter will not sleep with us in the room. It made for a tiresome trip last time. We really need a suite and the Doubletree is the only one that is affordable. After booking, I've read mixed reviews on this hotel and am not sure what to do. I've seen at least one person comment on the hotel being old and smelling like mold and others saying it was clean and great. If anyone has stayed there and can share their opinions, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

:confused:

BJones

We stayed here back in March, 2003. The suites are huge, especially when compared to Disney room sizes. I believe the hotel has been recently remodeled, because when we were there they were painting the hallways, and all furnishings in the room were relatively new. It was VERY clean. You get a living area with a pull-out sofa, TV, chair, a dining area with a table, microwave, refrigerator, and coffeemaker. The bedroom also has a TV, and I believe the bathroom had a small TV also. For the money, it's a great value. There is a privacy door that you can shut between the living area and bedroom, but this door is kind of like a louvered closet door - it will not completely block out noise. We ate their breakfast buffet (I think it was about $8) and it was okay, but it's not like the buffet you get at Embassy Suites. We did not eat lunch or dinner there. There is also a small "convenience" store in the lobby that you can buy snacks, drinks, toiletries, basically anything. It is the farthest hotel from the Downtown Disney area. We did walk there one day, but it is a long walk. Their bus service is not up to Disney standards, though. If you're going at the beginning or mid December, it shouldn't be too much of a problem if the crowds are light. The bus will stop at EVERY hotel in the DTD hotel area, so it can add quite a bit of extra time onto your day. Plus their every 1/2 hour schedule is not closely adhered to. I do have a suggestion, though, if you are traveling to EPCOT. Take the Magic Kingdom bus (there is a different bus for each park), because the Magic Kingdom bus drops you off at the TTC, not at the MK entrance, and from there you can take the monorail to EPCOT. (You would take the MK monorail if you want to go to the MK. AK and MGM busses drop you off at their own entrances.) If you take the EPCOT bus, it drops you off in the middle of a huge parking lot (I believe it was Space #26) and it's quite a walk to the entrance. Also, if you plan on taking this EPCOT bus back to the hotel at night, you have to stand in the middle of a huge, dimly lit parking lot on Space #26 in the EPCOT bus area. It's kind of unsafe, because there are busses pulling into all of the spaces around you and it is not well-lit. You can avoid all of this by sticking to the MK bus for EPCOT.
Hope this makes sense! All in all, it's a great value if you're only looking for a reasonably-priced place to sleep. There's not much Disney theme involved, but this isn't a priority for some people. We stayed there because my husband was staying there to attend a convention in Orlando, and my teenage son and I tagged along. He won't sleep in the same room with us, either! See, it never ends no matter how old they are! All things considered, I think it's a good place to stay as long as you're patient with their bus service.

Ausdaddy

Original Poster
Bjones,

What a great response! I was expecting some very brief comments and got a great paragraph that answered all of my questions. Thanks so much!

Steve

BRER STITCH

I had posted a review last year that included the following:

"One Hotel I can definitely speak out AGAINST is the Double Tree down the road. I had to extend my stay by 3 days once and the Hilton was sold out for those nights so they transferred me down the road to the Double Tree and I hated it. Though you have the added benefit of a "suite" with wetbar, living area, etc., I found the Hotel itself to be less than pleasing both aesthetically and maintenance-wise. The halls and room also smelled of "old Hotel mold", which was overwhelming at times."

That review was from a stay there over a year ago, so chances are pretty good they may have remodeled or cleaned up their act since then.

The rooms are MUCH larger than standard Hotel rooms, but at the time, I did not enjoy my stay there.

There is, however, a Doubletree Club Hotel off property in the Animal Kingdom area that was VERY nice that I used ot stay at while traveling for business before I switched to the Hilton across from Downtown Disney, which I also like.

If you arrive at the Hotel and there is anything you are not pleased with, be sure to report it to the management right away, as they are part of the Hilton family of Hotels and offer 100% satisfaction guaranteed. As I mentioned, you should be fine by now!

HAVE FUN!
:sohappy:

alicenwondrland

Bj sums it up we stayed there thi spasy may 2003 and we liked it alot we had a great room and the buses werent that great BJ's review is right on
we had a great rate from mousesavers of 89 a night it was great

mjgbpackers

Double Tree Guest Suites in Downtown Disney

We have stayed at the Double Tree on many occasions on our travels to WDW. I wouldn't stay anywhere else. You will be very happy with your stay there. Their customer service is outstanding! And the suites are great! The one reply that broke every thing down gave it to you in a nutshell right down to the tv in the bathroom. We always eat the breakfast buffet and there is one waiter there who for the life of me I can't remember his name, but we always seemed to sit in his area and he knew exactly what the kids wanted to drink and was always there to take away plates and bring more drinks. We've also ordered room service food after a long day and just wanted to stay in and sit in the pool and hot tub at night with the kids and some beverages. You have a micro and fridge and sink etc..... It will be perfect for you and your family. The door in between is a louvelor type door, but it'll be fine. They even have guest laundry and don't forget those chocolate chip cookies - they are awesome!!!! The bus service is fine - it serves the purpose. Several times we walked to downtown disney market place it's not that far and if you have a stroller you'll be fine!!! My daughter was in the Disney College Program last January thru August and we drove her to WDW and then picked her up again and even though she could get us discounted rates on disney properties we still chose the Doubletree because we knew where everything is and have always enjoyed our stays. Oh yeah they also have a little kiddie area for the little ones. And there is a grocery store I think it's called Goodings just a few blocks away on the end of hotel plaza and there is a Mickey D's, Jungle Jim's (I recommend) and several other very nice restaurants all with in walking distance. Don't change your plans because of one bad review. You will enjoy your stay at the double tree!!
I don't get on real often, but check wdw magic maybe once every couple of weeks. If you want more info just ask.
mj in wisconsin

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom