Trip Report Double Double Dip Trip June 2017 (Completed!)

Hello all and welcome to my trip report. My husband, Brad, and I just got back from a WDW trip and a Disney cruise on the Dream. Why am I calling it a double double dip? Well, we checked in and out of WDW twice, our cruise was a double dip (2 stops at Castaway Cay), and we had 2 birthdays to celebrate. So sit back and relax and enjoy my trip report.

Dates of vacation: June 18 to July 1

Resort: Pop Century (both times)

Cruise: Disney Dream

Travelers: Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad)

I'm tagging a few people that have followed my past reports. If I missed you, sorry, but please follow anyway. If you are new, welcome. And if I tagged you and you don't want to read, no problem! :)

@figmentfan423 @MinnieM123 @Cesar R M @donaldtoo @MySmallWorldof4 @MOXOMUMD @JenniferS @PacNWTigger @Tuvalu @Gabe1 @betty rose @Songbird76 @sheriffwoody @bee @blgauger @BuddyThomas @fractal @93boomer @MouseDreaming @Wrangler-Rick @PUSH @Mr Ferret 88 @amjt660 @Minnesota disney fan

June 18: Our first day of vacation was not a Disney day. We live near Minneapolis (about 1 hour 15 min from the airport) and we decided to spend the night before at a hotel so we didn't have to get up so early. When my husband got home from work around noon we headed over to Minneapolis and went to one of our favorite spots, the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum. We go here a lot and I was hoping to catch the peonies in full bloom but we missed the full bloom by about 4 days. That was disappointing as it is my favorite flower, but there were still some peonies and the roses were blooming nicely. We had a nice time walking around, and a local symphony was giving a concert so we listened to that for a bit. Hubby was pleased when they played a Star Wars medley. So here are some pictures.

The peony walk, as you can see not in full bloom.
IMG_8650.JPG

Some of the roses.
IMG_8653.JPG

IMG_8656.JPG

IMG_8661.JPG

IMG_8665.JPG

The Arboretum often has changing botanical displays and so for these might be my favorite. It is a kaleidoscope and the bowl with the flowers spins, it is fun to look through.
IMG_8666.JPG

IMG_8667.JPG

After the Arboretum we headed to the Mall of America and did the Flying over America attraction since I had a 50% coupon. It is a take on Disney's Soarin. We had done the America version here before and they were running a limited showing of Flying over Canada so we opted for that. It was fine but no Disney. Although the seats at the Mall of America version are more comfortable.

Dinner that night was a the Hard Rock Cafe, we hadn't eaten at a Hard Rock in years. Neither of us could make a decision about where to eat so we settled on this since it was a few steps away from the exit of Flying over America. Now when I say settled, that soon changed when we started eating our burgers, hubs got a special Memphis burger and I had a Guinness burger. We both had herbed fries. And the meal was fantastic. Sorry no food pics of this, perhaps on another visit.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
June 20

Brad and I split up today. But just for the morning. He likes golfing and I don't. So he headed over to a golf course and since the park we were meeting at didn't open until 9am, I decided to treat myself to a nice breakfast.

Shortly after Brad headed out to golf (he left around 6 am) I got up and got ready myself. It was a beautiful morning. But wow is it foggy.
IMG_8892.JPG

IMG_8894.JPG

Just kidding, no fog. Just my lens on my regular camera filled with condensation at the temperature change from the room to outside. The camera on my phone was just fine though. Here you can see Art of Animation in the background, I have never stayed there and I'm sure it is a fine resort but from afar the buildings always look unfinished. It makes me chuckle.
IMG_4249.JPG

IMG_4254.JPG

I headed to the front to wait for my Uber to my breakfast destination. I didn't want to hassle with Disney transport and transfers this morning. So while I wait I decide to see if my camera had warmed up and adjusted yet. Nope...
IMG_8899.JPG

Uber arrived and it was a very nice man, studying to be in I.T. He had some interesting music going on but it was a pleasant ride. So where did I got for breakfast? I bet @Tuvalu would be able to guess at the sight of this.
IMG_8902.JPG

Yep, I went to the Poly for a 7:30 am breakfast at the Kona Cafe. I have heard good things about their Kona pressed pot coffee, and I was not disappointed. Since I was there a little after 7am I had some time to wander.

IMG_8904.JPG

IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8906.JPG

IMG_8907.JPG

PacNWTigger

Yeah a split stay can be a little bit of a pain so I see your point there. I think Steve will really like staying in the bubble, it is nice just to have Disney take us where we want to go. There are so many restaurants that I think Steve will be able to find something. If he likes steak I would really recommend the Yachtsman Steakhouse at the Yacht Club, it is so good. And then pair it with dessert at Ample Hills Creamery at the Boardwalk, oh my goodness....when can I go back!
Great minds think alike...LOL! Yachtsman Steakhouse is one of those definite places that is perfect for an EPCOT day, and who can resist a flight of ice cream?? I just have to keep in mind for dining that there aren't any buffets (family style is okay) or meat on a bone (chicken/ribs/you name it)...weird...yeah...I know.:rolleyes:

I love the Rivers of Light pictures. Did the FP work out okay for seating? It looks like you had some great seats.

amjt660

Premium Member
June 20

Brad and I split up today. But just for the morning. He likes golfing and I don't. So he headed over to a golf course and since the park we were meeting at didn't open until 9am, I decided to treat myself to a nice breakfast.

Shortly after Brad headed out to golf (he left around 6 am) I got up and got ready myself. It was a beautiful morning. But wow is it foggy.
View attachment 214111

View attachment 214112

Just kidding, no fog. Just my lens on my regular camera filled with condensation at the temperature change from the room to outside. The camera on my phone was just fine though. Here you can see Art of Animation in the background, I have never stayed there and I'm sure it is a fine resort but from afar the buildings always look unfinished. It makes me chuckle.
View attachment 214114

View attachment 214115

I headed to the front to wait for my Uber to my breakfast destination. I didn't want to hassle with Disney transport and transfers this morning. So while I wait I decide to see if my camera had warmed up and adjusted yet. Nope...
View attachment 214113

Uber arrived and it was a very nice man, studying to be in I.T. He had some interesting music going on but it was a pleasant ride. So where did I got for breakfast? I bet @Tuvalu would be able to guess at the sight of this.
View attachment 214119

Yep, I went to the Poly for a 7:30 am breakfast at the Kona Cafe. I have heard good things about their Kona pressed pot coffee, and I was not disappointed. Since I was there a little after 7am I had some time to wander.

View attachment 214120

View attachment 214121

View attachment 214122

View attachment 214123
Your Uber was a golf cart!!??!!

Max

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Just wandering around the Poly....
IMG_8911.JPG

IMG_8914.JPG

IMG_8916.JPG

IMG_8915.JPG

IMG_8917.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

Finally seated with a nice view of the walkway and the whole restaurant.
IMG_8922.JPG

What to have? Definitely some Kona pressed pot coffee. It says it serves two people, well I drank it all.
IMG_8923.JPG

I got the loco moco for breakfast. Rice, hamburger patty, egg and chorizo gravy. It was really good, it could have used some salt or soy sauce (like what I have used in Hawaii) but the gravy was really tasty.
IMG_8924.JPG
IMG_8925.JPG

After breakfast I headed to the bus stop to catch a bus to Hollywood Studios.

Up Next: Brad's golf adventure.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Great minds think alike...LOL! Yachtsman Steakhouse is one of those definite places that is perfect for an EPCOT day, and who can resist a flight of ice cream?? I just have to keep in mind for dining that there aren't any buffets (family style is okay) or meat on a bone (chicken/ribs/you name it)...weird...yeah...I know.:rolleyes:

I love the Rivers of Light pictures. Did the FP work out okay for seating? It looks like you had some great seats.

Oh that's right he has that weird thing about meat on bones. Well, if you think about Homecomin' the chicken has a bone but there are other boneless things. Yachtsman would be good the ribeye (which I prefer isn't on the bone) and ice cream afterwards yum!

The FP for Rivers of Light worked out well. I liked the seating better there than with our dining package in March. I hate wasting a fast pass on it, so that is why we did it the day we arrived so we weren't waiting the whole day to pass to use it.

LeighM

I'm all caught up! Excited for your trip. Next year, I'm staying at Pop for the first time and then taking my first ever cruise on the Wonder. Only 244 days to go LOL. In the meantime, I'm living vicariously through others trip reports LOL. Looking forward to seeing more :)

Homecomin was soooooo good when we were there last year. My husband had the fried chicken. It wasn't the best he ever had but then again my hometown has some fantastic fried chicken so he didn't go in expecting his socks to be blown off LOL. But he'll definitely order that again the next time here's there. However, it was my socks that were blown off when I had their shrimp and grits!! And the desserts were fantastic!!! I had the hummingbird cake and he had the shine cake. The two of us and a friend shared the 2 desserts and we still couldn't finish even one :joyfull: Seriously huge portions.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the tag!! Homecoming' food looks amazing and that lamu libation is going on my 'to get' list. Thanks for the Pandora pix. It wasn't open our last trip so it is nice to see it. Great pictures! :)

Thanks! The libation drink was pretty good, and Nomad lounge is nice and relaxing.

I'm all caught up! Excited for your trip. Next year, I'm staying at Pop for the first time and then taking my first ever cruise on the Wonder. Only 244 days to go LOL. In the meantime, I'm living vicariously through others trip reports LOL. Looking forward to seeing more :)

Homecomin was soooooo good when we were there last year. My husband had the fried chicken. It wasn't the best he ever had but then again my hometown has some fantastic fried chicken so he didn't go in expecting his socks to be blown off LOL. But he'll definitely order that again the next time here's there. However, it was my socks that were blown off when I had their shrimp and grits!! And the desserts were fantastic!!! I had the hummingbird cake and he had the shine cake. The two of us and a friend shared the 2 desserts and we still couldn't finish even one :joyfull: Seriously huge portions.

I would like to try the desserts there sometime, I just get filled up before that! I agree that the portions are huge, but I'm not complaining either!:D

So excited to read more of your trip report! The river of lights pictures are so pretty!

Thank you!

MotherofaPrincessLover

After the Arboretum we headed to the Mall of America and did the Flying over America attraction since I had a 50% coupon. It is a take on Disney's Soarin. We had done the America version here before and they were running a limited showing of Flying over Canada so we opted for that. It was fine but no Disney. Although the seats at the Mall of America version are more comfortable.
I just went on Flying over America last week (and did Canada too). I was with my daughter's Girl Scouts troop and the girls thought it was so cool.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Was Brad feeling OK? Heat getting to him at this point? (Just teasing! I hope he enjoyed it.) And the beer flight looks pretty yum.

I think it is because I tease him about his rum and coke rut, so when we are at places like Nomad, Trader Sam's, or someplace with unique drinks he feels it is okay to branch out. Just wait until I get to the cruise part.....

SERIOUSLY? We were thisclose on Tuesday morning. I was picking up breakfast in Capt. Cooks around the same time you were at Kona! :banghead:

Oh man! I guess I should have wandered more. I thought about moseying down that way. :grumpy:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
I just went on Flying over America last week (and did Canada too). I was with my daughter's Girl Scouts troop and the girls thought it was so cool.

Awesome! No offense to any of our Canadian friends but I think the America version is better, but that might be because I recognized more of the American locations. The Canada sure had some pretty places though.

I'm here! Excited to read more. I have GOT to try Homecomin!!! Maybe for our Oct. trip.

Yay, you are are! And yes add Homecomin' to your October trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom