Don't Judge... the Sizzler on Irlo Bronson

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
We generally never leave the bubble once down on property, but I had to run to the Wal-Mart last year and about wrecked the car when I spotted a Sizzler on Irlo Bronson. I didn't even know they still existed anywhere. Has anybody eaten there? I'm most interested in input from anybody who grew up in the 70s and 80s for whom dining at the Sizzler was a treat. 😁

How is this Sizzler? Does it compare to the glory of the "Unlimited Shrimp 'n Salad Bar" and "Steak Lunch" heyday of the 1980s? Do they have Cheese Toast? :p I could really go for some Malibu Chicken and Cheese Toast.

Lilofan

We generally never leave the bubble once down on property, but I had to run to the Wal-Mart last year and about wrecked the car when I spotted a Sizzler on Irlo Bronson. I didn't even know they still existed anywhere. Has anybody eaten there? I'm most interested in input from anybody who grew up in the 70s and 80s for whom dining at the Sizzler was a treat. 😁

How is this Sizzler? Does it compare to the glory of the "Unlimited Shrimp 'n Salad Bar" and "Steak Lunch" heyday of the 1980s? Do they have Cheese Toast? :p I could really go for some Malibu Chicken and Cheese Toast.
When the NFL players and college Football teams work out at ESPN during off season or bowl games the guys eat at Sizzler or the popular all u can eat Golden Corral across the street from Celebration.

SSH

Malibu Chicken! Always got that. So many fond Sizzler memories - including a few too many times we overindulged before racing back to MK and tearing through that park until the wee hours. (That first park commando hour post-dinner was always painful - we were SO FULL - we felt like two sluggish manatees.) I don't do buffets anymore, but lots of fun memories. I was a big sizzler fan :)

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
I had totally forgotten about Malibu Chicken for decades, until I saw the Sizzler Sign. "Malibu Chicken" was the first thought that popped into my head.

Lilofan

Sizzler based in CA has a few restaurants in Koreatown , Los Angeles. Many Koreans like to cook and eat at home but for a splurge to eat something different , Sizzler is a go to destination for Koreans.

71jason

G/f and I went a year or so before COVID, primarily as a goof. It's very much the restaurant from the 80s--same decor, same pictures of steak to order from, same salad bar and hot bar. That said, for the price, most everything was alright. We actually filled up on the hot bar (I only remember the wings and the baked potato toppings but rest might have been there), had the steaks with eggs the next morning, so very good deal. Keep saying we need to return but just don't get down to 192 much since I fled Champions Gate.

For the price point, worth it.

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
G/f and I went a year or so before COVID, primarily as a goof. It's very much the restaurant from the 80s--same decor, same pictures of steak to order from, same salad bar and hot bar. That said, for the price, most everything was alright. We actually filled up on the hot bar (I only remember the wings and the baked potato toppings but rest might have been there), had the steaks with eggs the next morning, so very good deal. Keep saying we need to return but just don't get down to 192 much since I fled Champions Gate.

For the price point, worth it.

Awesome. I didn't get there this year, but will be in town much longer next year. I hope this 80s time capsule is still around... and still mostly alright. :D

skypilot2922

The Sizzler test kitchen is in Sunnyvale CA, it’s not Birk’s steakhouse by any means but its a place to get a decent steak at a decent price.

never been to the one in Orlando but next time im there I’ll probably go

71jason

Awesome. I didn't get there this year, but will be in town much longer next year. I hope this 80s time capsule is still around... and still mostly alright. :D
Now I'm curious about the Shoneys that took over the old Burger King (!) in front of Celebration. Who knew they built new Shoneys?

celluloid

Ponderosas was always better than The Sizzler. Sadly, those are all gone now as of the last couple of years too.

I would avoid The Sizzler on Irlo Bronson 192. I walked in with my wife and and walked out before being seated. There could be better management there these days and attention but I doubt it.

There is actually a Sizzler where I live now, and it is the best a Sizzler can be for a good salad bar with lunch options. The chicken tenders and wings is where it is at there.

Lilofan

Ponderosas was always better than The Sizzler. Sadly, those are all gone now as of the last couple of years too.

I would avoid The Sizzler on Irlo Bronson 192. I walked in with my wife and and walked out before being seated. There could be better management there these days and attention but I doubt it.

There is actually a Sizzler where I live now, and it is the best a Sizzler can be for a good salad bar with lunch options. The chicken tenders and wings is where it is at there.
There are several Ponderosa but they are in Puerto Rico.

Beacon Joe

Original Poster

Thanks for the info!

As for Ponderosa, I may have to internet fight you over your assertion that they were better! :D But Ponderosa's brown gravy... there sure was something about it. I'd drown everything in it.

celluloid

Thanks for the info!

As for Ponderosa, I may have to internet fight you over your assertion that they were better! :D But Ponderosa's brown gravy... there sure was something about it. I'd drown everything in it.

Not attempting a flame war fight. haha. Either way it seems like you won. I think there is only Ponderosa's in PR now as far as US goes. Honestly pretty comparable. I think I grew up more with Ponderosa, liked the atmosphere slightly better at the modern ones I got to go to in Central FL and to add on steak seemed cheaper.

Either way, late lunch at Golden Corral, as much as I tire over it, wins for steak and salad buffet for my family's needs and bang for the buck now.

Beacon Joe

Original Poster
Ha. I know. I'm punchy after sitting in traffic all afternoon.

Golden Corral, now that's something we can agree on. People think I'm completely nuts, but there is one Golden Corral that we go to a couple times a year where the steaks are really, really good. The steak guy knows his stuff and grills me a perfect rare every time.

celluloid

Ha. I know. I'm punchy after sitting in traffic all afternoon.

Golden Corral, now that's something we can agree on. People think I'm completely nuts, but there is one Golden Corral that we go to a couple times a year where the steaks are really, really good. The steak guy knows his stuff and grills me a perfect rare every time.

I am not a steak person, but my wife is and I like meat in general. For that lunch price as the steak comes out, you can't beat it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom