Don't Give Your Credit Card # to 'Front Desk' Caller

RiversideBunny

Original Poster
There's a warning on Mouseplanet.com today in the weekly mailbag.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=mb070731sw

A cast member writes:
I'm a cast member at Disney's Wilderness Lodge, and lately there have been several credit card scams that not enough people know about, and, inadvertently, keep falling for.

On two occasions that I know of, someone has called a guest room claiming to be from either the front desk or the concierge desk and offered very, very inexpensive tickets to the Hoop-De-Do Musical Review. By "inexpensive," I mean they are $15 for category one seating. Normally, category one is around $60 for adults.

All the guest needs to do is provide all their credit card information and their address and then they can head down to the concierge desk and pick up their ticket! Needless to say, there will be no ticket. The person who came to me looking for his ticket eventually had over $2000 spent on that particular credit card before we figured out what had happened.

The folks coming to Disney need to know that even though we love taking as much money as we can from you, we will never, ever, call your room looking for a credit card. ...........

Be safe out there. Not everyone is as magical as you'd like them to be.

:rolleyes:

Cara1210

Thanks for the warning! I'll be at WL from 8/14-8/21, and I would hate to fall for something like that! Thanks again for the heads up!:)

wannabeBelle

Great post Bunny!!!! And great advice for everyone. If in doubt, get the person's name hang up and ring the front desk and ask for that person!!!! I have NEVER had any Disney CM ask me for my CC number on the phone for anything to do with the Front Desk area. I have always had to go to the Front Desk in person!!! Be careful everyone!!! Belle

bgraham34

Wow a scam inside the world. Unreal this amazes me. My mother in law would fall for that. I am going to forward this on to some people.

Larry Mondello

Whenever someone asks me for my credit card number and I know it's a scam I always give them the number 4246 6924 2157 OU812. They are always perplexed by the OU812 part.

disneytopdog

Whenever someone asks me for my credit card number and I know it's a scam I always give them the number 4246 6924 2157 OU812. They are always perplexed by the OU812 part.

I too give a fake credit card number to telemarketers and so called non profits when they call. My fake credit card number has a few alpha characters in it!!!!!

disneytopdog

A few years ago when I stayed off property, the manager warned the guests not to call any of the pizza or chinese delivery resturant flyers that are on your car or under the door of your room. Only call the ones in the phone book. The flyers are scams to get you to order by phone with a credit card. The only thing they deliver is a whole lot of identity theft

Pocamahontas

I too give a fake credit card number to telemarketers and so called non profits when they call. My fake credit card number has a few alpha characters in it!!!!!

:ROFLOL: that's a great idea! I hear that they (telemarketers) aren't allowed to hang up the phone if you pick it up. So you just give a quick "hey be right back" and they'll be there when you come to check in an hour! I've yet to try it but mann I can't wait until one calls!

That's really sweet of the CM to inform everyone so publicly. I'd fall for it, and be really excited too. Thinking I was "working the system"...only to find that I was the one who was worked!:hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom