Donald's Boat overhaul in Mickey's Toontown (now with poll)

Which overhaul to Donald's Boat do you prefer?

• Water spinner (Zamperla Water Mania)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Balloon swings (like Flik's Flyers/Inside Out Emotional Whirlwind)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Just leave as is (i.e., not much to do except go up top for a view)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mharrington

Original Poster
I have done many, many threads for improving Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland, especially after it has lost so much of its luster. This is kind of like those other ones, but only on one attraction...

On the thread about Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway coming to Disneyland's Toontown (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/mickey-and-minnie’s-runaway-railway-disneyland.935320/), as of page 119 or so, it has deviated into a discussion of how to improve the larger Mickey's Toontown as a whole, as it so deserves.

One of the things that sorely requires improvement, to me at least, is Donald's Boat, which, out of safety considerations, has basically become a shell of its old self. The slide has been removed, as has the children's entrance into the upper deck. The spiral staircase and rope climb were also made off limits, and eventually the staircase and entryway were removed entirely. Even the tugboat horn was turned off, allegedly from parents who complained about the noise. Thus, I feel that Donald's Boat should be given some attention.

The problem is that Donald's Boat is sandwiched between the Go Coaster and Goofy's Playhouse (both of which should have updates of their own, too, but that's another thread for another time), as you can see below (Donald's Boat is encircled in light blue):
map-of-donalds-boat-in-toontown-jpg.404123

As such, it would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to work there, and besides, any overhaul to the space would necessitate the relocation or even total removal of the existing boat structure, thus robbing this area of the conceit that this is where Donald lives, while his friends continue to have dwellings of their own.

One of my suggestions was a Twist-n-Splash spinning ride (from Mack Rides), like the teacups, but with a huge squirting area. The problem with this is that as I said before, it's a pretty small space. As was pointed out, the Twist-n-Splash area would require the partial removal of Goofy's space as well as the boat to fit. Both of those combined is a third of the Little Mermaid ride space, or about the size of an oddly-shaped Tuck 'n' Rolls Drive 'em Buggies from the old Bugs Land. The boat itself, they said, can only fit something like Francis' Ladybug Boogie, which is even more like a teacup ride, only smaller, slower and less exciting. Of course, it would be better than just letting the boat continue to waste away.

Then someone else proposed something that does seem a little more doable: a tugboat ride, which, they said, won't rock anyone's socks off, but would be a welcome addition for adding to the kinetic energy of the area. They didn't mention anything else exactly, but I'm going to assume they're referring to a spinning tugboat ride, like this one:

However, while I would agree that a ride like it might fit in thematically, again, I'm not sure how big the space is for it. Secondly, I believe they have those kinds of rides at both Knott's Berry Farm (Rapid River Run)...

...and SeaWorld (Oscar's Rocking Eel):

I'm not sure if it's a smart idea to have that kind of ride so close to another park that also has it, unless maybe there was some way to differentiate it somehow, like, say, an interactive element like squirting water or something (maybe have onlookers trying to douse the riders with water from mounted water guns).

Thirdly, it would still seem like a downplay to have Donald's home be taken away while his friends all have dwellings of their own.

What are your thoughts? What could be done with the space for Donald's Boat without taking away the notion of this being Donald Duck's space?

mharrington

Original Poster
Since no one seems interested, I guess I'll have to come up with an idea of my own, even though I'm not fond of posting multiple times back to back...

I wonder how big Donald's Boat was at Magic Kingdom's Toontown Fair compared to here. That one never had much of anything at all because it was built that way; it was more of a decorative piece than anything for people to explore. The only way that the boat in California can still be used as Donald's home is if they were to scrap the current one and replace with a smaller one and use that as the queue for the newer ride, whether it's the spinning tugboat ride or whatever. Or perhaps remove the little "lake" surrounding the boat and move the boat a few inches forward toward the street. Can a structure like that be relocated, even a few inches?

What are your thoughts? I really would like some ideas?

mharrington

Original Poster
It wasn't my suggestion, but it was also considered to do Donald's Boat in the style of the old S.S. Rustworthy at the CA Adventure:
rustworthy_entrance2001tm.jpg

It certainly wouldn't take up as much space as a ride and give people, especially kids, something to do other than just climb up a boat... and then climb back down again.

The problem is, as was pointed out, anything of this kind now would be subject to what is known as American tort reform so as to prevent future lawsuits from rolled ankles or skinned knees or head bumps, which was probably what led to many of the fun things being removed from Donald's Boat anyway.

One thing that could help minimize the risk of accidents like these is to remove the boat entirely and replace it with a new one that is designed more in line with the Rustworthy structure, though without the structure being broken in two.

Also, getting back to the spinning tugboat ride concept, I'm not sure if it would fit. Even if it did, Donald's Boat would have to be removed completely. Here is an overhead shot of Toontown, showing Donald's Boat replaced by a ride like that spinning boat (in this case, the Rapid River Run from Knott's):

I don't want to give up Donald's Boat, though, so I think the only way that kind of ride could work is if it was scrapped and replaced with a smaller boat, presumably as the queue.

What do you think of either of those things, either the Rustworthy concept or the spinning tugboat ride?

mharrington

Original Poster
I had just discovered a similar spinning ride concept with splashing, squirting water, albeit smaller than the initial Aqua Twist concept from Mack. This one is from Zamperla, and it's called the Watermania. It looks like this:
52cfbf1f46b43-watermania-05.jpg

That might work if we went with just the six-craft design. I could be mistaken, but I don't think it takes up more space than the spinning tugboat concept. According to Wikipedia, there are only two designs like these in the world, one at Coney Island's Luna Park (although I couldn't find it on Google Maps) and the other at Drayton Manor in England.

Again, however, in order to accommodate, I think Donald's Boat would have to be removed and rebuilt from scratch as the queue. Here's an overview of the area with the water ride in Donald's Boat's place:
water-ride-location-in-toontown-jpg.419978

Here's a video of this kind of ride in action:

What do you think?

Attachments

• water ride location in toontown.jpg
    water ride location in toontown.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 555

Miru

I think the Rustworthy homage would work well as an upgrade, though turning it into a Water Mania could be neat.

mharrington

Original Poster
I think the Rustworthy homage would work well as an upgrade, though turning it into a Water Mania could be neat.

The problem is I'm not sure how big it is, compared to Donald's Boat, mainly because it's gone now, so we have no way of knowing for sure. It also doesn't help that there is no way to see it on Google Maps anymore, either.

I also found out from watching YouTube videos that, unfortunately, there's really no way to have the ride in there without making a lot of headaches for the surrounding area, such as the Go Coaster. So I guess we may have to go back to the Rustworthy concept alone again.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
I've done a rethink. I'm thinking about reviving of a Donald ride and removing the boat. But this time, it will also entail the removal of Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse (which is really not all that great anyway). It's a spinning water ride, a copy of the Water Mania ride tech from Zamperla (I've used a ride called Captain's Sea Adventure from Drayton Manor in the UK). I'm sorry the quality is not very good. I was using PowerPoint and MS Paint:
donald ride location.jpg

The coaster will be intact, just rethemed. It might actually be an extension of Donald's property, possibly his garage or something.

The water ride itself sticks out into the backstage area a bit, however. I'm not too upset about the treehouse, but I am a little worried about sacrificing the backstage area there, especially since the water ride footprint is a lot bigger than I thought.

What do you think?

mharrington

Original Poster
Then where would Donald, Chip & Dale have their social distance greets since Donald’s boat is being used for them.

As far as I know, most of the character-oriented structures are closed, so I doubt they would be able to do greets anyway. What's more, I am also considering repurposing Goofy's place as well. This is all to try to placate the complaints about not having a lot to do in Toontown.

Last edited:

mharrington

Original Poster
The thing that bothers me, though, is that the size of the water ride is approximated to the same size as the rest of the land, about 50 feet, according to Google Maps. It sticks out into the backstage area that I'm pretty sure is super important. What do you think of a ride sticking out into the backstage area like that?

Twilight_Roxas

If you watch the vids on YouTube Mickey, Minnie, Goofy uses their houses as social distance meet & greets while they’re close. Like Goofy is gardening, and Chip & Dale or Donald would be fishing on Donald’s boat.

mharrington

Original Poster
If you watch the vids on YouTube Mickey, Minnie, Goofy uses their houses as social distance meet & greets while they’re close. Like Goofy is gardening, and Chip & Dale or Donald would be fishing on Donald’s boat.

Those are from a site that got on this forum's bad side. And what about the complaints about not having a lot to do in Toontown?

mharrington

Original Poster
Hope I’m not in a grey area for bringing that up since I didn’t know the bad blood between the forum and wdw news.

I don't understand it either, but apparently Tom Corless said things in terms of rumors that this site and many companies, including Disney itself, does not like. That's where the bad blood lies, with Tom Corless.

mharrington

Original Poster
As for the complaints were already getting Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway in ToonTown.

But that doesn't solve the problems of Donald's Boat, Goofy's Playhouse and Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse, all of which have been neutered by safety regulations. That's why I was intent on changing/fixing those things, so that they wouldn't be neutered and more people can visit them. I wanted to make the land exciting again. Watch the video on the land on the Yesterworld site to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about. It's actually kind of a sad story.

And anyway, social distancing measures won't last forever, hopefully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom