Dolphins in Epcot

WiCKMaN

Original Poster
Hi there!

One of my girlfriend's biggest wishes is to swim together with dolphins. I know they do have different programmings in The Living Seas at Epcot, does any of these programs include getting in touch with the dolphins? What kind of programs are these, and what to expect when talking about the costs?

Thanks in advance!

Remco

Kingdom Konsultant

WDWMAGIC Board Sponsor
Premium Member
WDWMAGIC Sponsor
I just booked this for one of my clients. Dolphins in Depth is what it is called. The cost is $150.00 per perosn and it's a 3 hour class/encounter. You get a video tape of your encounter included in cost. They will also furnish you with a wet suit. They require you to provide a bathing suit and a photo ID. Park admission is not required in order to do this.

Pam

Kenan

If you are a member of the Disney Club, you can get 15% discount on the Dolphins in Depth program. Just to bring down the price a bit.

TIGGER-FAN

My wife and I did Dive Quest at the Living Seas at the begining of this month. We got to see the Dolphin area but did not have time to interact with them. During the Dolphins in Depth tour you get 30 min. in the water with the Dolphins. If it is run anything like Dive Quest it will be first class all the way. They will even parade you through the middle of Sea Base Alpha while wearing your wetsuit (kinda makes you feel like a celebrity with everyone looking and pointing). If you contact the animals program coordinator at the Living Seas they will send you an information brochure. If I can help in any other way, let me know.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Not to change the subject of WDW Dolphins, but there is an alternitive to Disney in Orlando, it's called Discovery Cove, run by SeaWorld.

We did the trasiner for a day program, but they have a Dolphin encount admision as well. I think it's around $200 for the day at the park, and that included a Dolphin swim.

We had a wonderful time. I was in the same situation, we wanted to do a Dolphin swim, and I was going to book Disney's but then I learned about Discovery Cove.

You should at least give it a look over before you decide, but either way you'll have a great time.

WiCKMaN

Original Poster
Thank you all for the great responses! I've been to WDW four times now, but never really knew about the possible programs at The Living Seas.
I've also heard about Discovery Cove, seen some photos, and looks really great to me! But it's also a bit more expensive... on the other hand, it's worth money of course! :)

WDWspider

Originally posted by WiCKMaN
Thank you all for the great responses! I've been to WDW four times now, but never really knew about the possible programs at The Living Seas.
I've also heard about Discovery Cove, seen some photos, and looks really great to me! But it's also a bit more expensive... on the other hand, it's worth money of course! :)

Well, it's only like $50 more to go Discovery Cove right? Plus you get a week pass to SeaWorld and a free meal, so that sounds pretty darn cool also, but it takes a day from your schedule, even more if you go to SeaWorld, so time makes some difference too.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by spider-man
Well, it's only like $50 more to go Discovery Cove right? Plus you get a week pass to SeaWorld and a free meal, so that sounds pretty darn cool also, but it takes a day from your schedule, even more if you go to SeaWorld, so time makes some difference too.

Yep, that's how we looked at it. Now our cost was a bit more for the Trainer for a Day (up in the $340 range per person :hammer: ), but it was well worth it. But know if we ever go back, we'll have to do that again, cos' a regular day just would never live up to the TFAD program.

I read a lot of reviews on both before we left. Some people had done both. And while no one spoke bad of the Disney program, DC was the hands down winner in a comparison. For $50 more than Disney's program you get a whole park, food, swimming with Dolphins, swimming with tropical fish and stingrays. You get to see sharks and baracudas. The aviary is a wonder to see, and I've heard they've expanded last year, so it should be even better than before.

All this and the park limits it's guest to 1000 a day, so it's never crowded.

Have fun in whichever you choose!

Mr. Toad

AkiraRaptor,

Thanks for posting the info on DC and the TFAD program. I was thinking about doing one of these when we go down in June but I never heard any first hand accounts before. I would really like to do the TFAD.

AkiraRaptor

Meega, nala kwishta!
Originally posted by Mr. Toad
AkiraRaptor,

Thanks for posting the info on DC and the TFAD program. I was thinking about doing one of these when we go down in June but I never heard any first hand accounts before. I would really like to do the TFAD.

Yea, the TFAD program is great. I just checked it out again, and the price is more now ($399), but they added more content. I've even heard you get 3 Dolphin encounters now.

We had the regular encounter, then a training session for behaviours, then the fast swim. For a good tip, when you do the fast swim, go first, don't wait. After the Dolphin takes you accross the water, you go back to the show and stand by the other trainers while you wait for everyone else to do their fast swim. Durning this time you can get more time for one on one interactions with the other Dolphins. They usally have 3 or 4 Dolphins out durning this fast swim time, but only one is dowing the swim, the rest are at the beach with the trainers. I got to spend some good one on one time with a Dolphin while we waited for everyone to do the swim.

The whole program is a blast. It was, hands down, one of the best experiances in my life. Dolphins are just a part of the day they have planned for you. Feeding the rays was great, and we feed sharks too. Plus the birds and small mammals are a blast as well.

But the Dolphins are the stars. Our Dolphin was the one that starred in Jaws III. He did whatever he wanted to do. They would ask for behaviours, and he would do most, but sometimes he'd just have fun with us. I was to hold his flippers, and he was to pull me up out of the water, but instead he spun me around in a dance in circles. The trainer said that was not what he was asked to do, but he's the boss. It was great. They are magnificant animals, and I don't care who you are, they will affect you in ways you'll never think they can.

I'm really sorry WiCKMaN, I took your thread off in another tangent.

Ok, now I'm really wanting to go back now...:mad:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom