Dolphins at The Seas w/ Nemo & Friends

champdisney

Original Poster
living seas is a huge aquarium, but most of it is behind the scenes, the parts you see as a guest are a tiny amount. So by size it is, but to the guest it isnt. If i remember right.
I remember seeing a large portion of The Seas on a Disney episode of Boy Meets World. I’m guessing its one of those backstage areas where the dolphins are mostly kept in. You’re right about it appearing small for the average guest. The rest of the pavilion you have to pay big bucks to experience.

champdisney

Original Poster
The Denver aquarium is quite smaller, all tanks combined are only a million gallons. The Seas is 5.7 million gallons, the Atlanta Aquarium is 10 million gallons and the Chimelong Ocean Kingdom, Hengqin China has the largest single tank (they dont have a holding tank or filter facility).

Interesting. I guess it all comes down to the experience. In the Denver Aquarium, it felt kind of like a trek. Venturing through various sections, all of them which were well themed. The Seas is pretty much all within the same space, just depends on which direction you’re facing.

Notes from Neverland

I remember seeing a large portion of The Seas on a Disney episode of Boy Meets World. I’m guessing its one of those backstage areas where the dolphins are mostly kept in. You’re right about it appearing small for the average guest. The rest of the pavilion you have to pay big bucks to experience.
The average guest sees the vast majority of the pavilion. The main tank is fully viewable from the guest walkways. But, what it fails to do is convey the actual size of the tank. Depth perception through the windows is difficult. The tank is enormous and you don't fully appreciate it until you can view it from a different angle. The Aqua Tour and the Scuba Tour (we did the Aqua tour which is basically fancy snorkeling and had an amazing time) put you in the water and it really let's you see just how big the tank is.

The scene from Boy Meets World takes place above the guest walkways inside the pavilion. There's a hidden staircase in the circular room shown below at the left of the photo that can take you up above the tank.

Attachments

• yy4os9zd43s21.jpg
    yy4os9zd43s21.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

champdisney

Original Poster
The average guest sees the vast majority of the pavilion. The main tank is fully viewable from the guest walkways. But, what it fails to do is convey the actual size of the tank. Depth perception through the windows is difficult. The tank is enormous and you don't fully appreciate it until you can view it from a different angle. The Aqua Tour and the Scuba Tour (we did the Aqua tour which is fancy snorkeling and had an amazing time) put you in the water and it really let's you see just how big the tank is.

The scene from Boy Meets World takes place above the guest walkways inside the pavilion. There's a hidden staircase in the circular room shown below at the left of the photo that can take you up above the tank.
Definitely going to do this tour sometime in the future. Thanks for the insight!

TotallyBiased

We were down for our honeymoon the week before xmas in 2019. Dolphins were cute but always feel guilty enjoying them in captivity. Wife and I weren't at all impressed with the aquarium, especially for something within the Dis brand. Ripley's in Gatlinburg, TN is much nicer IMO even if it's smaller.

champdisney

Original Poster
The Disney aquarium rehabilitates dolphins in distress for the Stste of Florida. I suspect there is more of an investment than you see.
More of an investment than I see? Hmm. 🤔

Now, I’m curious to know what you were implying with this. Could you be saying that I view the dolphins as nothing more than a sideshow attraction made specifically for my enjoyment? If so, I assure you that I do not. Thanks for chiming in.

SteamboatJoe

Dolphins are very hard to keep. Some places do it well, others have had horrible results.
in my state bringing dolphins was huge (everyone donated money, bumper stickers were everywhere)
"The Oklahoma City Zoo's now-shuttered dolphin exhibit is the only other facility with a higher death rate than Dolphinaris. Between 1986 and 2001, the zoo housed 10 dolphins. The exhibit closed after four animals died in two years"
then there is dolphinaris...

IIRC Epcot had some trouble with theirs back in the late 80s or early 90s. I think they had several deaths in a relatively short time period; one or more of which were related to a particularly aggressive male they had.

PatriciaH

IIRC Epcot had some trouble with theirs back in the late 80s or early 90s. I think they had several deaths in a relatively short time period; one or more of which were related to a particularly aggressive male they had.
They had issues with the tank filtration several years ago too. Tours were cancelled for a long time. I think they lost a lot of fish and since then it has never looked as good as it used to:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom