Dolphin/Swan Questions

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Thinking of staying at either the Dolphin or Swan for our trip in June 2018, depending on the following answers to my questions:
1. Can we use ME to get to either hotel?
2. Do they use MB at the hotel (doesn't matter as we can buy new bands and link our tickets)
3. Thought I read something on the Dolphin/Swan site that mentioned they are now delivering packages (but not allowing room charges)?
4. Free parking at WDW parks (but the hotels charge a daily resort fee that includes parking)?

Anything else that I should know staying at these hotels that's different from a WDW resort or that has the same benefits/not same benefits?? I plan to go ahead and book the rooms since they are nearly sold out and figure I can cancel them if we don't want them. TIA!! :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
1. No you cannot use DME. You can pay for a Mears shuttle (cheaper than a taxi) or Uber/Lyft.
2. You will not receive MagicBands as MagicBands are exclusive to Disney owned resorts only. However, you can purchase MagicBands or use bands from a previous Disney resort stay and link your tickets. You can then use the bands for admission and FP. You cannot use a band to charge back to your room.

I think the answer is yes to both 3 and 4 but I cannot confirm for sure.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
To add to #2... you don't have to use the MagicBands, the plastic ticket-card has the RFID, too, and can be used in place of MBs. The only difference is the cards don't do long range tracking which basically means you'll miss out on a few automatically linked photopasses.

#3a. The Swolphin is a convention hotel, and so, they have their business services handle packages. They do charge for the service (but so do all the other Disney resorts, too, now). And you have to go during their hours of operation, not from the front desk.

#3b. You can charge to the room at Swolphin restaurants, but not in the parks. The Swolphin isn't on the same charging system as the parks (another reason they don't do MBs).

#4. You get free parking at the parks. The Swolphin charges both parking fees and a resort fee.

See here for more...

So, some background on the Swan and Dolphin: The Swolphin both is and isn't a Disney hotel. Basically, Disney is letting an outside hotel chain run a Disney resort rather than run it themselves. They did this to attract conventioneers who were used to hotel chains and had points with them (originally Westin and Sheraton, both bought out by Starwood, which is now bought out by Marriott).

It is a Disney resort:

* Disney advertises the Swolphin as a Disney resort on their site and it shows up in resort searches.
* Disney has a say in how they operate.
* Disney characters show up for their character meals.
* Disney gets a share of their earnings.
* Disney provides free transportation within 'the bubble' (buses and ferries, but not Magical Express to/from the airport).
* Disney staffs their Disney ticket center.
* If you stay at the Swolphin, parking is free at the parks (but not at the Swolphin itself).
* You get Extended Magic Hours
* You get the 60 day window for FastPasses.
* Park purchases can be sent to the Swolphin for pick-up later.
* You get all the golfing perks of staying at a Disney Resort

It is not fully Disney:

* You can use Starwood/Marriott points there, which you can't at other Disney resorts.
* The accounting system is separate which means you can't charge to room at the parks.
* They don't do MagicBands (no free ones, no MB door unlocking, but, you can buy your own or use old ones from other visits).
* They charge for parking at the Swolphin (other Disney resorts don't charge for parking at the resort).
* They have a mandatory resort fee (unless you bought a package deal, like from CostCo, in which the resort fee is waived or included).
* You don't have Magic Express to/from the airport (but you do have free bus and ferry within the Disney bubble).

As a convention resort, the clientele is more adults and less children. Occasionally, the lobby will be full of conventioneers moving to their next event. And it's cheaper than the other resorts on Crescent Lake (the lake between Epcot and Hollywood Studios). Often $200 a night or more cheaper.

It is very much a Deluxe resort. It has high class restaurants and shops. Excellent pools. A spa. Character dining. A gym. Children's activity center. Full room service. Full business class services. People argue over whether it's appropriately themed enough to be a Deluxe. While you're not going to get a bed shaped like a pirate ship, it's as nice as the Contemporary or Yacht, Beach, Boardwalk, or Floridian whose theming is nothing more than fine architecture and art. And the Swolphin has that, though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And, you can walk to two parks. I love that. And you can walk to any of the fine restaurants/bars of the other resorts on the lake including the BoardWalk.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the Dolphin over the Swan. Mostly because most of the amenities (completely shared by the two... same owner) are in the Dolphin: gym, laundromat, all-night cafeteria, ice cream shop, grab & go food store (Fuel). The Swan is just slightly more luxe than the Dolphin, but, I'd rather not carry laundry to another building.

NelleBelle

Original Poster
Thanks for all the answers! I went ahead and booked 2 rooms. Booked through booking.com and was about the same price as booking 1 room at Coronado Springs!! I guess if we decide to change our minds or if a room only sale goes on for the dates we're there, I can always cancel. Hopefully we can actually get connecting rooms like we've requested.

Amos1784

As mentioned above they do have some pretty hefty resort fees. We booked through hotels.com room was advertised at $154 a night and quickly climbed to almost $200. There is a $25.00 (at least when we were there this could have went up) resort fee and $20/night for parking.

Epcotfan21

As mentioned above they do have some pretty hefty resort fees. We booked through hotels.com room was advertised at $154 a night and quickly climbed to almost $200. There is a $25.00 (at least when we were there this could have went up) resort fee and $20/night for parking.
That's still at least $75-100 cheaper than a night at Yacht, Beach or Boardwalk. I'll take it every time.

MickeyMomV

#3a. The Swolphin is a convention hotel, and so, they have their business services handle packages. They do charge for the service (but so do all the other Disney resorts, too, now). And you have to go during their hours of operation, not from the front desk.
Disney still offers complimentary package deliver to all of their hotels. I don't know about the Swan/Dolphin as it does not list actual hotels on the web site and without the Swan/Dolphin being an actual Disney hotel it may not be included in the "complimentary" service.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/package-pickup-and-delivery/

disneygeek90

My dad is staying at the Swolphin as part of a business function. I entered in his confirmation number to try and get him 60 day FP's but it wasn't recognizing it. Anyone know if this is possible?

Epcotfan21

My dad is staying at the Swolphin as part of a business function. I entered in his confirmation number to try and get him 60 day FP's but it wasn't recognizing it. Anyone know if this is possible?
Make sure you're using the actual confirmation # from SPG. If this is the case, usually it takes 48-72 hours after booking before MDE will take the confirmation #. If your dad had travel booked through a third party, call SPG to see if they can give you their confirmation # and not that of the third party. This tends to be an issue as well. If all else fails, call Disney with the SPG confirmation number and they'll fix it on their end so he can book 60 day FP+.

disneygeek90

Make sure you're using the actual confirmation # from SPG. If this is the case, usually it takes 48-72 hours after booking before MDE will take the confirmation #. If your dad had travel booked through a third party, call SPG to see if they can give you their confirmation # and not that of the third party. This tends to be an issue as well. If all else fails, call Disney with the SPG confirmation number and they'll fix it on their end so he can book 60 day FP+.
Thank you! He forwarded me his email and I see the confirmation was just sent to him today, so maybe it just needs time to "process" before MDE will recognize it. If not, I will give them a call.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Disney still offers complimentary package deliver to all of their hotels. I don't know about the Swan/Dolphin as it does not list actual hotels on the web site and without the Swan/Dolphin being an actual Disney hotel it may not be included in the "complimentary" service.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/package-pickup-and-delivery/

Ah, I guess there is some confusion with regard to the type of package delivery...

• From a Disney Shop to your resort, the delivery is free to all Disney resorts including the Swolphin (you pick it up at the hotel gift shop).

• A package delivery from outside, such as from UPS or USPS, all the Disney resorts now charge a handling fee. At the Swolphin, you pick up such packages at the Business Services Desk during their ours of operation.

TXDisney

We look to stay at the Swan and Dolphin every trip. Best bargain on Disney property imo. You pay moderate prices for a deluxe location. Only draw backs is no Disney theming in the resort, no magicband and no complementary transportation to and from the airport. Still I you add up the price of Swan and dolphin transportation to and from the airport, magicbands purchased, it’s still a bargain compared to BC, YC or BI.

daisyduckie

Thanks for all the answers! I went ahead and booked 2 rooms. Booked through booking.com and was about the same price as booking 1 room at Coronado Springs!! I guess if we decide to change our minds or if a room only sale goes on for the dates we're there, I can always cancel. Hopefully we can actually get connecting rooms like we've requested.

Just returned from a stay at the Swan, and we did not get our requested connecting rooms. We ended up 4 rooms down from each other. So I would pack as if you won't have connecting rooms.

daisyduckie

Did you book the Swan or Dolphin?

NelleBelle

Original Poster
I booked the Swan but actually ended up renting DVC points at Sarasota Springs as well. I need to cancel my rooms at the Swan. I didn't want to take the chance that we wouldn't be connected, plus, we wanted a kitchen and laundry! :D

s&k'smom

There is a great video from "Tim Tracker" on you tube and he just posted them in the last few days with video from the renovated lobbys of Swan and Dolphin and they also let him take video of the renovated rooms at both resorts.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
The Swan and Dolphin are usually a great value if you can find rates below $250 a night. For some odd reason this year, January and February rates are much higher than previous years, so much so we decided on the Yacht Club which ended up being slightly cheaper with the Chase Card discount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom