dog friendly resorts

DCLcruiser

We signed up for this at AoA but then the pandemic canceled our trip. It would be great for us as we bring her down to visit family and then she’d just relax in the room all day. She’s super quiet, never has accidents and there are pet friendly walking areas near the room.

Club Cooloholic

I have traveled with my dog plenty of times but always on car trips, I don't want to risk her on a plane as I know it would stress her out, and never during a theme park vacation where she could not be with us most of the time. If I did bring her I would utilize the Disney Dog Boarding facility, at least during the day. We took her to a hotel last year and I received a call while we were at the pool that she was whining a lot, due to covid she has been around us A LOT so I think she misses us so the rest of that trip she came with us and we ate outside ect. I found a really good boarding place nearby and she did fabulous there the last trip we took where we left her.

I am all for service dogs in but "therapy pets", please no, that ruined it for genuine service dogs, and I have known people to order special vests on Amazon just so they wouldn't have to pay the dog fee at a hotel. Not something I think is right at all.

crawale

On my last stay at the Yacht club, I saw a couple of yapper dogs, that had small children holding their leash, go at it in the porte cochere as the families were packing up to leave. None of the adults did anything. I think that if you are going to treat your "fur baby" as a part of the family, then you should be a good parent to it. Too many dog owners are too irresponsible to be bringing them to a resort. And I can't imagine doing that to my pet, leaving them in a strange room all day while we are out and about. Pets get stressed too. I think that it is selfish to do this with all but the most trained animals, like service animals.
Bet the adults had uncontrollable kids and ignored them too. It is an extremely selfish thing to do to bring a pet and leave it in the room all day rather than let it stay in a kennel with exercise facilities etc. Still we live in the age of tyranny of the minority who have all kinds of arguments about their wonderful pets being preferable to kids. People do not leave their kids in the room all day. Sometimes people need to make a choice - dogs are not allowed in many places and should not be allowed at Disney.

crawale

Fair points, and I totally respect your opinion. But personally, I’d still prefer that no dogs be allowed (other than service dogs, as you mentioned). And I will never buy the argument that children are grosser than dogs, but maybe that’s just me!
Many people abuse the term 'service dog'. Any animal dressed in 'cute' clothes is not a service animal. I hate to see people with animals traveling in a basket on their scooter - again not service dogs at all. A service dog is trained and is not a pet.

JusticeDisney

Many people abuse the term 'service dog'. Any animal dressed in 'cute' clothes is not a service animal. I hate to see people with animals traveling in a basket on their scooter - again not service dogs at all. A service dog is trained and is not a pet.
I totally agree with you. I was referencing legitimate service dogs.

JIMINYCR

DW and I are at WDW at the moment. She has a real service dog accompanying her. So far we have seen fewer dogs in the parks than ever before. Unfortunately we have seen several dogs ( In my professional opinion they were not likely service dogs ... yes I am a dog trainer that has trained service dogs ) that were barking, pulling far ahead of their owners on leash , even one off leash walking beside the owner and one being pushed along sitting alone in a baby stroller. In MK there was even one man walking alone with TWO dogs connected by a brace leash. Who had two working dogs at the same time ?
The areas reserved for service dogs to eliminate were at times left with dog poop that people had not cleaned up from their dogs.

Club Cooloholic

DW and I are at WDW at the moment. She has a real service dog accompanying her. So far we have seen fewer dogs in the parks than ever before. Unfortunately we have seen several dogs ( In my professional opinion they were not likely service dogs ... yes I am a dog trainer that has trained service dogs ) that were barking, pulling far ahead of their owners on leash , even one off leash walking beside the owner and one being pushed along sitting alone in a baby stroller. In MK there was even one man walking alone with TWO dogs connected by a brace leash. Who had two working dogs at the same time ?
The areas reserved for service dogs to eliminate were at times left with dog poop that people had not cleaned up from their dogs.
Two dogs, dogs in baby carts? I'm sorry there is no way Disney should be allowing this. If not for the reason of these animals making it harder for people with real service dogs, like your wife, it should appeal to Disney's bottom line that having animals that take up room in parks but not begging for $100 dollar toys, there is no reason for them to be there.

JIMINYCR

Yes. People know all they have to do is claim it’s a service dog and no ones going to confront them . Whatever Disney is charging them for having their dog with them pales in the cost they would pay at a boarding facility at home. So it’s a cheap way out of paying more for their vacation.

Club Cooloholic

Yes. People know all they have to do is claim it’s a service dog and no ones going to confront them . Whatever Disney is charging them for having their dog with them pales in the cost they would pay at a boarding facility at home. So it’s a cheap way out of paying more for their vacation.
I don't believe they get changed anything extra. I overheard a couple years ago at DL crowing about all the money they saved in hotel dog fees by having their dog be a "therapy" pet. We were in a line and I actually confronted them and said they are abusing a law that was intended to help people with real service dogs and they pointed at the dogs vest and said she was a real therapy dog, to which I said I can find that exact vest on Amazon and have one delivered tomorrow to make my dog a "therapy" pet, and that was the end of that conversation, because I think that was exactly what they did. These dogs are also not good for people that have a genuine fear of dogs, which there are many people out there that have that.

JIMINYCR

Our fear is that one of these fakes will be walking by our dog and the owner will not have control and our dog will be injured. When I’m with my DW I could step in before an attack or soon after it starts but if she was on her own as she sometimes separates from me and DS she would be helpless to stop the damage. A dog attack can forever ruin a dog. A real service dog is extremely expensive and the time involved in going in for team training for a new dog is costly.

JIMINYCR

I don't believe they get changed anything extra. I overheard a couple years ago at DL crowing about all the money they saved in hotel dog fees by having their dog be a "therapy" pet. We were in a line and I actually confronted them and said they are abusing a law that was intended to help people with real service dogs and they pointed at the dogs vest and said she was a real therapy dog, to which I said I can find that exact vest on Amazon and have one delivered tomorrow to make my dog a "therapy" pet, and that was the end of that conversation, because I think that was exactly what they did. These dogs are also not good for people that have a genuine fear of dogs, which there are many people out there that have that.
Yes they aren’t charged as a service dog but for having their pets with them. It’s when they go to a park and enter they claim it’s a service dog to get in.

Club Cooloholic

But I’m sure some do claim service dog status to about a pet fee in the resort
Unfortunately many do, because even hotels that don't allow pets the have to allow the animal if they say it's a therapy one, at least that was the way it was for awhile. This also done for the airlines though most of them have started to crack down on that with law changes.

Dog Ate Mouse

I am a two rescue Dog owner. I honestly feel keep your pets at home where they belong or take them to a trusted Dog Kennel/Pet hotel. I want my Dogs taken care as they should be and also want to be on vacation with no worries or needs to come back and walk my pets. It is not fair to the Dogs and Me. We use a trusted house sitter who watches the Girls while we are away and have also used trusted kennel where the girls get to be out playing with other Dogs that have been proven friendly and social with other. Then at night they are fed and placed together in their pens with a pillow and are given a treat.
Now if we are talking about true trained service Dogs then this conversation will then say Welcome.

jaklgreen

Two dogs, dogs in baby carts? I'm sorry there is no way Disney should be allowing this. If not for the reason of these animals making it harder for people with real service dogs, like your wife, it should appeal to Disney's bottom line that having animals that take up room in parks but not begging for $100 dollar toys, there is no reason for them to be there.
We have seen that numerous times on trips over the last few years. The smaller dog breeds are riding around in strollers and sleeping. What kind of service are these dogs providing? I wish they would kick these people out. It gives legitimate dogs a bad name. I just don't understand the selfishness of these people wanting their dogs with them when they are hot and miserable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom