Does Disney have a "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" problem?

captainkidd

Original Poster
Not meant to be a bashing thread. Actually, quite the opposite. The "Polynesian Smell" thread got me thinking about some of the changes that Disney makes that really benefit nobody, but only upset people, even if it's a small percentage. I guess we'd all agree that things do have to change and new things have to come along, or else a place gets stale. I guess the question is, does Disney have a clue as to what things to change and what to keep the same?

The smell at the Poly is a perfect example. Who does changing that benefit? Will anyone be happy about it? Certainly this isn't a budget issue. Same goes for changing the music in Main Street. Or the spiel on the WDW Railroad or TTA. Really, did that make anybody happy? Did it make people that would care about something like that think it was a good thing?

I guess my point is, for many of us, WDW is all about the memories that we have of it, and reliving those memories. There have certainly been great "additions" to Disney over the years, but "replacements" is where to me, they have failed. Epcot is really the biggest example of this. Downtown Disney is right on it's tail.

A bigger example could be the mess they made out of the Castle for the 25th, but luckily, that was only temporary. I just wish Disney would leave certain things alone. Refurbs, no problem. But when I think of the many things already in the graveyard, and what's to come, it saddens, and bewilders me.

Eh, that's really all. I have a deeper love of WDW than anyone I know (board members excluded), and I long for that sliver of yesteryear that Disney used to give us in Orlando.

bullsforthewin

The problem that arises is that everyone here looks thru everything with a bias. Do they do things that might upset you or me? Sure but i cant say for sure that some people out there dont get upset by it. Some people here think that the DDP is the worst thing in the world but because of it a big percentage of people are eating at Disney restaurants they may not of tried before so they like it. This is where there is a big difference between Universal and Disney. Disney really does try to please all groups of people while currently Universal looks like it only cares about 20 somethings without kids and Harry Potter fans. I could use my best friend as an example. When he came to visit florida with me in october he kept telling me how he would never go to IoA no matter how great Potterland is because he has no love for the books so the land does not draw him in. Same with HHN, while great for the people who love blood and gore he is not a fan so he has no desire to see it but since he loves a lot of the obscure disney characters and likes parades MNSSHP really had a draw on him. His words exactly were, "Disney sure does try to make sure everyone has something to enjoy while Universal really does not care about everyone."

Disney has to please so many people that it looks like it is not trying to please you but in reality it is just currently focusing on others, NextGen being a big example, adults without kids might not care for that stuff but kids and adults with kids sure do love interactive queues and a talking mickey

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If Disney had a "if it aint broke don't fix it problem", there still might be 40 square miles of swamp land in central florida.......

Walt Disney1955

I don't think Walt would ever let that happen and we know he wasn't the type to sit on a project. That's the thing, we all want them to do so much but a lot of it could be that we are jaded and see the place often enough. To a first timer looking at it with virgin eyes I don't think there would be any complaints. I know that this site has made me question a thing or two that I wouldn't have otherwise. Not that it's a bad thing though

Alektronic

I can say in maintenance, that is the attitude "If it isn't broke, don't fix it" but the big problem is "If it does break, don't fix it, just turn it off"

javy2004

The problem that arises is that everyone here looks thru everything with a bias. Do they do things that might upset you or me? Sure but i cant say for sure that some people out there dont get upset by it. Some people here think that the DDP is the worst thing in the world but because of it a big percentage of people are eating at Disney restaurants they may not of tried before so they like it. This is where there is a big difference between Universal and Disney. Disney really does try to please all groups of people while currently Universal looks like it only cares about 20 somethings without kids and Harry Potter fans. I could use my best friend as an example. When he came to visit florida with me in october he kept telling me how he would never go to IoA no matter how great Potterland is because he has no love for the books so the land does not draw him in. Same with HHN, while great for the people who love blood and gore he is not a fan so he has no desire to see it but since he loves a lot of the obscure disney characters and likes parades MNSSHP really had a draw on him. His words exactly were, "Disney sure does try to make sure everyone has something to enjoy while Universal really does not care about everyone."

Disney has to please so many people that it looks like it is not trying to please you but in reality it is just currently focusing on others, NextGen being a big example, adults without kids might not care for that stuff but kids and adults with kids sure do love interactive queues and a talking mickey

Before this year I used to think IoA was the end all, be all of what an awesome theme park was. its the only park i went to as a teen and what i was looking forward to on my trip to orlando this summer. Even as a non-fan of harry potter, i was blown away by their ride when i went. and i do feel like there is enough for kids to do there (at least 5 years old). That being said, IoA has the feel of a really well put together 'theme park.'

MK and DL (just using those two as these are the only parks i been to recently) definately feel like something more. They are theme parks, but you definately feel immersed in their worlds and you see the attention to detail. I can't thank my parents and nephew enough for them wanting to take him to MK this summer :)

bullsforthewin

Before this year I used to think IoA was the end all, be all of what an awesome theme park was. its the only park i went to as a teen and what i was looking forward to on my trip to orlando this summer. Even as a non-fan of harry potter, i was blown away by their ride when i went. and i do feel like there is enough for kids to do there (at least 5 years old). That being said, IoA has the feel of a really well put together 'theme park.'

MK and DL (just using those two as these are the only parks i been to recently) definately feel like something more. They are theme parks, but you definately feel immersed in their worlds and you see the attention to detail. I can't thank my parents and nephew enough for them wanting to take him to MK this summer :)

I like IOA but you said it best it is a theme park to me...much better than a Six Flags but not as special as Disney

MickeyMind

waitwaitwait!

what are they doing to the poly smell?! I havent heard anything about them removing the poly smell?! is tdo just deliberately trying to ________ off the loyal fans now?! why would they remove something like the smell of the poly?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom