Does anyone remember this song?

luv

I'll bet many here weren't even born before 1974. I was, but we didn't go to WDW then.
Did they have TV back then (J/K!):lol:
yes, but we only had five channels, two of them were kind of fuzzy. And if you wanted to watch a diferent one, you had to get up (!) and turn a dial on the set to see it. This was extremely sucky if you were a kid. In most families, the kids were dispatched to do the turning. And even if you really wanted to watch what was on, you still had to get up and change the channel.

This was back in the stone age. It was even before Pong!

bethymouse

Incidentally, while googling the lyrics to see if I could find more or better quality versions of this recording, I came across this video of an in-room promotion. Obviously it is not the original one that I remember from 1976 and in which I first heard the song, because a few minutes into the video it starts to show Epcot which wasn't around in '76. I haven't yet watched the whole video all the way to the end to see if the same song appears anywhere in it, but plan to do so later when I have more time. In any case this video ought to be of interest to you.

http://www.youtube.com/user/VAULTDISNEYreturns
Love Vault Disney! I love Jiminy Cricket!:)

bethymouse

Wow! What 25 years can do! Discovery Island and River Country are such classics! The Shopping Village! OMG!:D
Empress Lilly restaurant- wow! A walk down memory lane!:D

Sciomind

Wow! Years ago I came on here looking for.this song...and tonight I came back and IT IS HERE!
I am downloading it now! THANKS SO MUCH!!!!

Citrus Swirl

This entire thread makes me strangely happy
I was so happy to find this song! I remember watching the promo video at The Contemporary when I was seven. I think it was Susan who hosted the whole thing and there was something about monorail red... I really would love to see the whole show but hearing the song again was great!

prymel

Oh my, 12 years after the initial post, and I'm just seeing it! That song has waded in and out of my memory for decades since I first saw the in-room video as a pre-teen in the 70's on our family's stay at the Contemporary. For some reason, the song lodged in my head last night, and I haven't been able to let it go, so I Googled the opening lyrics, and EUREKA! Even the part at the end where the video host says "I hope you have a wonderful time...Bye Bye!" is something I've always remembered. I recall on the video she had a bunch of kids following her (perhaps down Main Street) as the song was wrapping up.

Finding this thread has made my day!

sudsaroo

YES YES YES! I sing it every time I go to Disney. Everyone thinks I'm making it up! I listened to it and started to cry! It was the best time of my life!

Last edited:

LaughingGravy

Yes! I remember it very well in our family's first visit in 1977. We stayed at the contemporary before it was a bank breaking venture. But, my mom did have to wait on the phone at a year to the day to get the reservation. That was when it was more expensive than a regular off site hotel, but not by the huge factor it is now.

FettFan

"Where in the world can you go to have fun and enjoy the day...hay. Where in the world is there laughter in a smile- where in the world are your childhood dreams you've dreamed your whole life long. where can the older folks and the younger folks together share a happy time- Walt Disney World, Disney World, its a brighter day..hay- American apple pie will always stay- with little children's laughter, baloons and a big parade-It's a brighter day a brand new world at Disney World, Disney World, Walt Disney World."

Does anyone remember this?

No...but obviously John Hughes did. :D

solidyne

Thank you for bumping this!!!!!! I have been searching for this forever. Only the refrain has stuck in my head since the 70's, so it is awesome to hear the whole thing!

Sciomind

Guys, we were lucky to have found the song itself from that podcast...but I am about to "plus" this whole thing: Here is the video!

There are two versions:

This one is audio only, but goes from start (the instrumental version of "Let's Go Fly a Kite") all the way through the finish (the elusive "Where in the World Can You Go to Have Fun").

And THIS one, is the ACTUAL VIDEO! Not the highest quality, but here it is:

I can't even begin to tell you the joy I get from watching this. I actually downloaded both of these videos to my computer, just in case they ever get taken down for some reason.

What a wonderful blast from the past! I hope that those of you who have seen it in person, way back when, get just as much happiness as I do from this, and I hope that those of you who never got to see it at the time will enjoy seeing the very first version of the Resort TV, from back when it was all so new.

solidyne

Guys, we were lucky to have found the song itself from that podcast...but I am about to "plus" this whole thing: Here is the video!

There are two versions:

This one is audio only, but goes from start (the instrumental version of "Let's Go Fly a Kite") all the way through the finish (the elusive "Where in the World Can You Go to Have Fun").

And THIS one, is the ACTUAL VIDEO! Not the highest quality, but here it is:

I can't even begin to tell you the joy I get from watching this. I actually downloaded both of these videos to my computer, just in case they ever get taken down for some reason.

What a wonderful blast from the past! I hope that those of you who have seen it in person, way back when, get just as much happiness as I do from this, and I hope that those of you who never got to see it at the time will enjoy seeing the very first version of the Resort TV, from back when it was all so new.

Thank You!!!!! I am so glad I followed this thread! Turning on this channel/loop was always the first thing I'd do upon arrival. It's amazing now to see the emphasis they placed on outdoor activity. The MK was really just one part of the bigger picture.

Wow, what a long running thread, and with so few posts. Cheers to everyone who contributed to this, I love this kinda thing. I was too young to know this song, but I enjoyed living vicariously through y’all

Andrew Dorfman

Well, this is great but must correct you. This was not the first resort tv at Disney world. The one I saw at the contemporary resort in 1973 had its a small world playing over and over! my grandma kept yelling at me to turn that darn thing off. I so wish I could see that one again. They used the Disneyland version of its a small world! Haha, if you can believe it! That was the early 70s!

LaughingGravy

Yup! I remember it well. It was one of those things that kept our family going back year after year in the late 70s and 80s, along with things now gone such as Country Bear Holiday and Summer Overlays. An in room dedicated channel was a huge thing back then. And some memorable music and video (not quick cut no shot more than 1- 2 seconds or dizzying) and you have something for adults and kids to remember the resort as a special place, and thus return.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom