Does anyone know what they are doing to Spaceship Earth?

beachclubbasics

Original Poster
We heard a rumor there two years ago that they were taking out the entire ride and replacing it with a roller coaster. We asked asts memeber sin the ride about that last year and they said that wasn't true.

Does anyone know what is going on in there?

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There was a proposed renovation to Epcot called Project Gemini that among other things included a rollercoaster ride through Spaceship Earth.

The project fell flat, however a few of the ideas from it did go forward.

Like they say "No project ever completely dies at WDI."

But, I wouldn't wait on this idea to resurface.

Xadllas

I would like to see them put the space station theme back at the end of the ride though.
Yeah that would be nice. I hope they bring back Tomorrow's Child as well. I heard from a CM and from a previous thread that Siemens supposedly likes Tomorrow's Child. So hopefully they'll bring it back.

sambahat

Inside information from a reliable source

It seems that Disney is waiting for approval to expand the monorails between all parks before any changes to Spaceship Earth. The reason is budget. Since the monorail expansion costs so much, there simply isn't any money left for the SpaceShip Earth refurb. As a matter of fact, that is why the SSE wand is still there.

The monorail expansion will accommodate the influx of new visitors once the new, fifth gate is opened. This announcement is expected later this year. The new park, by the way, will be a villain themed park.

Of interest, the monorail expansion at Animal Kingdom will pass through the newly built Hogwart's Castle from Harry Potter... sort of like the way the monorail passes through the Contemporary - very cool. This will be part of the yet-to-be-announced build out of Beastley Kingdomme.

So... once these changes are made, SpaceShip Earth will indeed be made into a roller coaster... although the name is still to be determined. There is some debate within Imagineering about how to properly theme the re-design. One camp insists on going forward with a "Stitch's Rocket Rods" while another group is pushing for something based on the Pixar short, Boundin (details are scarce).

My source is an unnamed veteran of the WDW transportation system.

Hope this helps.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It seems that Disney is waiting for approval to expand the monorails between all parks before any changes to Spaceship Earth. The reason is budget. Since the monorail expansion costs so much, there simply isn't any money left for the SpaceShip Earth refurb. As a matter of fact, that is why the SSE wand is still there.

The monorail expansion will accommodate the influx of new visitors once the new, fifth gate is opened. This announcement is expected later this year. The new park, by the way, will be a villain themed park.

Of interest, the monorail expansion at Animal Kingdom will pass through the newly built Hogwart's Castle from Harry Potter... sort of like the way the monorail passes through the Contemporary - very cool. This will be part of the yet-to-be-announced build out of Beastley Kingdomme.

So... once these changes are made, SpaceShip Earth will indeed be made into a roller coaster... although the name is still to be determined. There is some debate within Imagineering about how to properly theme the re-design. One camp insists on going forward with a "Stitch's Rocket Rods" while another group is pushing for something based on the Pixar short, Boundin (details are scarce).

Hope this helps.

This is SO wrong on SO many points I don't even know where to start. :eek:

I hope this is a joke. :lookaroun

Xadllas

Hope this helps.
Uh huh... honestly did you mean to post this? Because these are all far off rumors that died 2-5 years ago. And a good sum of this is made up.

cm1988

Hope this helps.

Why golly yes, it did. And it seems to authenticate what my transportation host said. Did yours mention Fire Mountain at the Magic Kingdom, the Swiss "Matterhorn" pavilion out in World Showcase, and the "Star Tours - Pod Racer" enhancement?

Thank you, SambaHat, for reminding us of these fascinating future projects!

GenerationX

Hope this helps.
Heh. Are you sure the 5th gate will be a villain-themed park? My sources say the working name is "Retroland" and that the park will contain retired attractions from the other four parks.

As to the OP's question: unfortunately, SSE is pretty much staying the way it is, which is (mostly) snore-inducing. Would it hurt the imagineers to put in a moderately dazzling effect or two in there?

Xadllas

I dont honestly see why SSE is bad. Its one of my favorite attractions. Besides you already have Teast Track, Mission SPACE, and Soarin. To tell the truth every time my family goes, the only major thrill ride we go on at Epcot is Test Track and then just do the older and better planned out attractions.

EpcotMark

Hope this helps.

My roommate is a Monorail Manager. There are NO plans to go ahead with building more monorail lines.

haveyoumetmark

Hope this helps.

I hope everyone realizes this person is only kidding.

:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom