Does anyone have a Canon G6?

mrtoad

Original Poster
I am going to be getting one and and wondered if anyone else had one and what they thought of it.

I was using a Canon A80 that will continue to use until I get the G6 and then sell it. I also was using a Canon Digital Rebel but I am selling it on eBay currently. I was happy with the quality but the DSLR was just too big for me and I hardly used it. I was hoping with G6 I will get good quality but in a small package.

Anyone else have one?

Thanks,
Mike

trucillo

I have the G3, an earlier version of the G6. Aassuming they have improved the product you wont be sorry. I love my G3 and recently took it to Disney. Bought a 512 CF card and loaded it up every day. The battery life is great. Even the movies are good quality.

If you like, send me a PM with your email address and Ill send you some picture examples.

wannab@dis

I've got the G2. Again, it's similar, just an older model. My only wish is that it was a little smaller and lighter. The picture quality is wonderful!

mrtoad

Original Poster
trucillo said:
I have the G3, an earlier version of the G6. Aassuming they have improved the product you wont be sorry. I love my G3 and recently took it to Disney. Bought a 512 CF card and loaded it up every day. The battery life is great. Even the movies are good quality.

If you like, send me a PM with your email address and Ill send you some picture examples.

Thanks for the reply, I will PM you as I would love to see some samples. I think I will be order this weekend as I want some practice with it prior to our WDW in January. Thanks again.

mrtoad

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
I've got the G2. Again, it's similar, just an older model. My only wish is that it was a little smaller and lighter. The picture quality is wonderful!

Thanks for the reply. Compared to the Digital Rebel a brick would seem compact so I am looking forward to it. It is nice to have an everyday stick in your pocket camera so I was thinking of getting the Canon PowerShot SD20 as a take with you everyday type of camera if I get enough by selling the other. I just need to decide if I want to go that route. It is a 5 MP camera about 1/2 the size of the digital elphs but has no zoom. Just a fixed focal length lens. It does have a digital zoom but I hate them as the quality goes way down. I need to decide soon.

Thanks again.

mrtoad

Original Poster
Well, I sold my Digital Rebel and my additional macro lens and got enough to buy two cameras and accessories.

I wound up getting the Canon G6 with a Lexar 80x 1 GB card, a Canon 420ex external speedlight and a Mack 5 year waranty. I also got the new Canon SD20 which is a super tiny 5 MP camera which is about 1/2 the size of the other Digital Elphs with a 5 year Mack warranty and a 512 MB SD Sandisk Extreme card.

Now I just need to wait for them to arrive, it will be hard. :)

mrtoad

Original Poster
wannab@dis said:
Where did you get them?

I got the G6 from dbuys.com. Go to shopping.com and put in Canon G6 and they come back with a bunch of prices from retailers. The only reason to go there first is if you use them to get to dbuys.com shopping.com sends you $10.00 back. The price for the camera excluding that $10.00 was $552.90 including shipping.

From bhphoto.com I got the Canon SD20 for $319.00 which came with a leather case. The 5 year warranty for it for $49.99,the 5 year warranty for the G6 for $69.99, the Lexar 80x 1 GB CF card for $79.99 after $20.00 mail in rebate and the Sandisk 512 MB extreme SD card for $76.00.

I got the 420ex speedlight from Amazon for $165.00 after rebate.

I am so excited as I got more than I expected for both the camera and the lens. I also have a Canon A80 that I will sell when one of the others arrives. with that money I think I will get the lens adapter and extra lenses for the G6.

Are you thinking of getting one or both of these cameras?

wannab@dis

We've thought about getting the A95 as a second camera to keep with us in the diaper bag. It would mainly be our grab and shoot camera. I just can't see buying one right now since the G2 does fine. Like I said, our only complaint is the size and weight.

mrtoad

Original Poster
I am sure the A95 is nice as I really like my A80. The only reason I am switching is I want a little smaller for my pocket. The G6 will be the bigger one I will take when I plan on shooting.

My other problem is I am kind of crazy and change my cameras about once a year.

dolbyman

I have the A85 and I'm quite sattisfied .. did some great night shots (steady surface .. got no tripod) .. I love those manual features :sohappy:

my digital videocamera will be some categorys higher .. panasonic gs400 :p

can't wait till march .. goin 2 wdw :hammer:

mrtoad

Original Poster
dolbyman said:
I have the A85 and I'm quite sattisfied .. did some great night shots (steady surface .. got no tripod) .. I love those manual features :sohappy:

my digital videocamera will be some categorys higher .. panasonic gs400 :p

can't wait till march .. goin 2 wdw :hammer:

Our video camera is still stuck in the stone age. It is a Sony handycam circa 1992 with 8mm tape. We are going to borrow my mother's digital camcorder when we go in January to see if we like using it. It is a JVC, kind of a middle of the road consumer one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom