Does anyone feel uncomfortable drinking alcohol in Disney?

jozzmenia

Original Poster
TWO QUESTIONS...

I know it sounds sort of dumb, but I was reading about the Pleasure Island modifications and someone said they would feel uncomfortable getting drunk around little kids. I thought it was funny, but I went to Margaritaville on CityWalk, where u can just walk around with your drink. I was chugging my Margarita and almost tripped over a very small child (not for being drunk, she ran in front of me) and I looked at her (I'm 6 foot tall, she looked about 4 years old) she looked up at me, and I felt like hiding my drink some wear, like I was just having a bad influence on this little kid. It was strange. Anyone else ever feel like this at all???

Speaking of Margaritas :slurp: , I didn't see this in the "best places to drink in WDW" thread. I don't think it would even cross my mind to drink there, but I wondered is there like a super good drink that u can get in the parks? I love Margaritaville strawberry Margaritas, Applebee's Banaberry Split or Bahama Mama, Chili's Reggae Sunsplash, and ______ on the beach, just to name a few drinks that I love to give u an idea of my taste (the "girlie girlie fru fru drinks and I've hear them referred too :rolleyes: ). Any really good drinks like this in the park???

Nope....no problem at all. To be honest, a lot of children are already experiencing something like it at their homes by watching either one or both of their parents, relatives, etc. drinking.

When the child ran out in front of you and looked at you, probably the last thing going through it's mind was the fact that you were holding a drink...let alone an alcoholic drink.

CoffeeJedi

I do feel a little weird, not a lot, but a little. I think it depends on the environment though. WS just has so much class, i feel cultured when i try beers from other countries. I got a beer with lunch once at the Studios (counter service, not sit-down) and i felt really self-concious drinking beer out of a plastic cup at a theme park around kids, so i've decided to just stick to drinking at WS or sit-down restaurants. I don't think I could ever bring myself to drink at the Magic Kingdom, even if it was someday offered (i hope not though). Maybe at the Liberty Tree, but that would be about it.

I've heard tell that the margaritas in Mexico are quite good.

Javier Boughton

I thinks that a parent in the presence of their child should moderate how much they drink...

On my last trip I saw a couple on Universal studios that the father was carrying a baby child..and their 5-6 boy was almost carrying the mother!!! she was screaming like crazy to her husband (and by crazy I dont mean "honey I love you"...)

this happen from city walk--> all the way to the parking..so everybody around was very uncomfortable

Not a pleasant thing to see..@ 6 PM

RickEff

I don't feel uncomfortable drinking at WDW. I've never been drunk there though. A couple of beer maybe, but nothing more than that. Sometimes I'll have a few drinks back at the resort.

I do enjoy having some German beer right before Illuminations!

I do admit to hating the ride back from Pleasure Island sometimes. It can get rowdy and loud, but by then I've had a couple of drinks too so I can deal with it better. Nothing worse than being the only sober person in a room / bus full of drunks :lol:

Last November when I was at WDW, there was a horrible instance where a young woman (actually, she looked too young to drink!) was totally wasted coming from boardwalk and heading off to PI. Just before the Swan bus stop, she was sick on the bus and lost control of other functions as well. It was pretty awful.

Everyone got off the bus and they called for a new one. When she (and her boyfriend) wanted to get back on the new one, none of us would let them.

That's about the only really major thing I've seen with people drinking there.

Fact is - adults will drink, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that as long as they don't get stupid. I don't think Magic Kingdom will ever allow alcohol though.

JimboJones123

For some reason drinking at MGM is weird to me. But just at the Street Bars. In the restaurants, not so weird. But something about stopping at a kiosk and getting a Long Island Iced Tea is weird.

JimboJones123

I also find it funny when somebody leaves during the Candlelight Processional and gets a round for the gang and heads back to the seats to hear more about the birth of Jesus. Not judging, it's just amusing to me.

tigsmom

I have no problem having a drink when I'm at WDW, but then I'm usually in my room or a resort bar visiting with a local friend. My DH said it felt weird to walk around EPCOT with a beer, but it didn't stop him from drinking it. :lol:

I have never seen anyone "drunk" at WDW, but I have heard stories of the sight...I have a feeling they do that sort of thing anywhere though. :(

Layzbuttercup

when I worked at Disney for the college program I worked on the Boardwalk and one of the places i worked in was ESPN CLUB (the store). Drinking on Disney property never really bothered me until I worked there because parents would leave their kids in the ESPN Club Store for hours while they drank at the bar. There was one girl that was literally walking around the store for probably three hours...by herself. she couldn't have been older than 8 years old. I thought it was sad. Sometimes we had to close off the gate that separates the store from the restaurant because the people drinking at the bar were being too rowdy. I understand if you want to have a night out at without your children, but there are other options (you don't have to let them wander off for hours alone).

CoffeeJedi

Layzbuttercup said:
wThere was one girl that was literally walking around the store for probably three hours...by herself. she couldn't have been older than 8 years old. I thought it was sad.
that IS sad. i guess you're not allowed to go into the bar with her, find her parents, and ask them to leave? i'm sure there has to be a policy concerning child endangerment, or the establishment reserves the right to refuse service to someone on legitimate grounds? anything?

dxwwf3

I personally would feel uncomfortable drinking at the parks, but that's me. As long as most people are responsible, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

WDWKat26

I've waited 21 years to drink, i'm not letting some kids stop me!

Plus, I always drink at PI, changes or no changes i'm still drinking there!

Layzbuttercup

They were very strict about us not going over to children if the parents weren't around. Unless the child is lost you are not supposed to do anything. They didn't even want us offering samples of fudge from Seashore Sweets to children if the parents weren't right next to them. As for serving alcohol...unfortunately, we weren't allowed to not serve alcohol based on poor parenting. Its left up to the discretion of the server...whether or not he/she thinks the person should be allowed to have more. In training though they don't tell us any specific rules regarding child endangerment, but yes the establishment serving alcohol can reserve the right to refuse sale of alcohol based on what i said previously.

Sharon L

The margaritas at the stand outside the Mexico pavilion are very good. My husband and I both drink when we go to WDW, but not enough to even get tipsy. We go during the Food and Wine Festival every year, and I can honestly say I've never seen anyone really drunk. Definitely a few tipsy people, but no one who was fall-down-drunk.

Since1976

I have no problem getting buzzed, especially at Epcot. Getting drunk, I will not do. Then again, I've never been truly drunk. I like to remember my good time, not pass out and waste a night!

Floridasunshine

oh gosh, everytime I have walked by that Mexican margarita stand, I have wanted one sooooo bad. But I have always gone with my teetotaling preacher father and mother in law. .... but one day was sooo stressful :brick: that I finally had to hit the POFQ pool bar before I could go around them again.... and I did not regret that drink not even one little bit!

My friends Kate and Matt find the "Big Ball" at Epcot (I know it's SE, but they just refer to it like they see it) incredibly boring...I love it and made them ride it the last time we went. Before they went on it, however, they shared a Guinness at the Rose n Crown in England and since it was so hot and they hadn't eaten anything, they were HYSTERICAL! Were not loud or obnoxious, but slumped in the back of the little riding vehicle with their legs up, going, "D'you guys, like SEE the earth at the top up there? Like, we're IN the earth, but it's up there, too? That is so cool."

Literally, they sounded like a bad remake of Wayne's World. Then we went to MK, and walked around the castle for a while...this is how the conversation between my friend Matt and I went...
MAtt: What do you think they're doing over there?
Me: I think it's Storytime with Belle.
(Five min. later)
Matt: It looks like they're reading a story over there or something...
Me: Matt. That's Storytime with Belle, remember?
(Two minutes later)
Matt: "Wow...she's really hot. Who is she?"
Me: "That's BELLE. As in, Storytime with?"
Matt: Whaddyou mean?

So anyways, that's my little fun drinking story at WDW. But I think I'd feel weird drinking anywhere that wasn't DTD or WS. In sit-down restaurants is totally fine - to me, even MK should have beer in sit down restaurants- but anywhere else I feel weird. Don't know why:p

VeRTiGo91

I only drank at Pleasure Island when the kids were back at Shades with the inlaws. Didn't feel weird, didn't want to get trashed in front of the kids!

Only time I drank except for at Shades.

V

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom