Does anyone else find the new castle turrets distracting?

POLY LOVER

It's very poor use of forced perspective and in turn it diminishes the forced perspective used in the castle itself. I think this may be what looks off to you, I know it stands out like a sore thumb to me.

AYUOq4m.jpg

If you look at this photo the turrets appear to be the same size as the ones on the castle. Comparing that to people standing nearby a person appears to be somewhere around a quarter the height of the new turret. Now looking at the turrets on the castle if you imagine a person the same size next to that turret you mind processes this and tells you that the castle is a miniature model and not a full size castle so it looks off. This is why it looks strange and in turn makes either the castle appear to be much smaller or the turrets much larger.

Compare the photographer to the turrets below:
zFP4s1b.jpg

If you look at this photo (same photo) with the turrets cropped out the castle appear to be much larger.
RT2uNtn.jpg

This makes for a very good example of poor forced perspective design. I could see this being used in design schools as an example of how not to do something.

the Castle needs to be jacked up about 6 feet to make it right. How hard can that be to do. LOL

wdwgreek

Ugh its like the forced perspective of Beast's castle which looks great until you cross the bridge to Be Our Guest and look up. Really most additions post 1975, threw away sightlines considerations or forced perspective considerations. Lands bleed into each other a ton, attractions can be seen from other lands. Its sometimes jarring, how much work they put into things to then ignore the work.

s8film40

Its not something that would send me into OCD overdrive ...
Yeah it's really not that big of a deal. It's just one of those things that if you stop and look at it for a moment something just seems a little off. Disney used to pay close attention to theming, small details and perspective in everything they did, so if your someone who's come to appreciate that than its a little disappointing to see such sloppy work implemented on something so iconic. It is what it is though and the vast majority of the public will never notice or care.

DisneyFans4Life

They couldn't make the turrets smaller. If they made the turrets to be "proportionate" so the perspective wasn't messed up, you'd be standing next to a turret that's the size of a person...and that would look silly.

Mouse_Trap

I think the 'turrets' are just stupid. They just look like cheap standalone toilet paper tubes randomly plonked around the lovely castle.

Find one real castle that has turrets that aren't connected to the main building.

Wendy Pleakley

Based solely on the photo they do seem a bit off.

I think they would look better if the top (blue) portions were smaller or gone completely.

mergatroid

Prefer the view before but I'll get used to it I'm sure. Saw them in person for the first time last month, I'm not sure why but the word 'clumsy' came to mind (which doesn't make much sense even to me). Think I've seen the castle without them for so many years that it's just different, it certainly didn't upset me though.

rkleinlein

Yes they look awkward. I think the issue is poor design as much as scale. Instead of bothering to design new turrets that compliment the castle, they simply copied and pasted turrets from the castle. It's a lazy design which looks fake and cartooney. Two symmetrical turrets would have accented the asymmetry of the castle but the symmetry of four nearly identical turrets is overkill and competes with the castle. Mergatroid is right, it's a clumsy design. Very much in keeping with the Fantasyland expansion.

prfctlyximprct

They remind me of farm silos where you would store grain and hay... Is that strange? Lol... Turrets don't just stand alone on the ground like a random pole.. They should have made the castle wall there or somethings to have it make more logical sense.. Now it just looks like random rocket ships flapping in the breeze

Jon81uk

Ugh its like the forced perspective of Beast's castle which looks great until you cross the bridge to Be Our Guest and look up. Really most additions post 1975, threw away sightlines considerations or forced perspective considerations. Lands bleed into each other a ton, attractions can be seen from other lands. Its sometimes jarring, how much work they put into things to then ignore the work.

I agree in part, its more in the late 90s it went wrong.

The sightline of Tower of Terror from Morroco in Epcot is perfect, it blends in very well.
But then you also have the Swan and Dolphin....

NYwdwfan

It's very poor use of forced perspective and in turn it diminishes the forced perspective used in the castle itself. I think this may be what looks off to you, I know it stands out like a sore thumb to me.

AYUOq4m.jpg

If you look at this photo the turrets appear to be the same size as the ones on the castle. Comparing that to people standing nearby a person appears to be somewhere around a quarter the height of the new turret. Now looking at the turrets on the castle if you imagine a person the same size next to that turret you mind processes this and tells you that the castle is a miniature model and not a full size castle so it looks off. This is why it looks strange and in turn makes either the castle appear to be much smaller or the turrets much larger.

Compare the photographer to the turrets below:
zFP4s1b.jpg

If you look at this photo (same photo) with the turrets cropped out the castle appear to be much larger.
RT2uNtn.jpg

This makes for a very good example of poor forced perspective design. I could see this being used in design schools as an example of how not to do something.

I said the exact same thing when I saw them.

Actually I said, "the castle looks small now" but that's what I could not articulate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom