Does anyone else find the Contemporary DVC odd?

brianhorn

Last time we visited MK my kids wanted to stop at the contemporary because it has a good arcade. It seemed to me that the hotel is more geared to conventions then the tourist. Is it possible that if they are building another tower they are cashing in on that business and not the DVC. It seems a little odd that they would start work on another DVC when AK DVC has hardly begun.

mroman

What I don't like about this new addition is that it 'disrupts' the focus and uniqueness of the monorail resorts. To me it looks like one of the Disneyland hotels rather than the resort focus the others have.

Epcot82Guy

Other than the fact it had ground around it, I am very surprised they chose a Contemporary DVC.

When it comes down to it, Contemp. has been the "thorn" in a way for Disney Resorts because it needs constant updating to remain, well, contemporary. Even ultra modern goes after a few years, and these units will meet the same fate. GF looks about as nice today as it did when it opened. Contemp. would not have had that fate without updating. We'll see, I guess. I am not a huge fan of the project overall. I would have much rather seen a 9 or 10 story tower.

fngoofy

From http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_con.htm :

"The Tower is 14 stories tall"

and from http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/wdwrr/resorts/cr.htm

regarding the California Grill "On the Contemporary's fifteenth floor".

I don't think you are going to see too much of a difference between the two.

I was going to say the same thing.
From what I've seen, the two buildings will look very similar, the way the floors look from the outside (balconies, railings, etc.)

DVC is a money maker for WDW. More money from more people means more capacity needed, which means more attractions.

If you want to worry about something, worry about that whole area that they are letting the 4 Seasons develop, complete with strip malls and condos...blah.

Unplugged

I've been following the threads on the Contemporary tower since we all first learned of it. I'm curious as to why everyone insists this is a DVC tower? As a DVC member, no information has been released nor announced yet. However, prior to construction beginning on both Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Villas, announcements were made.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I honestly don't believe this is a DVC tower. There is a lot of convention space at Contemporary and I'm always reading on threads here how "booked up" it gets. Could this not simply be a way to increase capacity? After all, by removing the North Wing and potentially the South Wing (after the tower is open), how much capacity would be added? Perhaps triple what existed in the two wings? :veryconfu

fngoofy

Other than the fact it had ground around it, I am very surprised they chose a Contemporary DVC.

When it comes down to it, Contemp. has been the "thorn" in a way for Disney Resorts because it needs constant updating to remain, well, contemporary. Even ultra modern goes after a few years, and these units will meet the same fate. GF looks about as nice today as it did when it opened. Contemp. would not have had that fate without updating. We'll see, I guess. I am not a huge fan of the project overall. I would have much rather seen a 9 or 10 story tower.

Other than room decore (which all resorts have updated) the only things I can think of that they've changed are the shop and restaraunt configurations in the Grand Canyon Concourse.

Really the Contemp hasn't changed much over the years (my first time there was in 77.) In my opinion, the resort is still awsome. Biggest rooms (them and the Poly) and a really cool monorail station inside a building that still looks futuristic. How many buildings do you see that remind you of the Contemporary?

fngoofy

I've been following the threads on the Contemporary tower since we all first learned of it. I'm curious as to why everyone insists this is a DVC tower? As a DVC member, no information has been released nor announced yet. However, prior to construction beginning on both Saratoga Springs and Animal Kingdom Villas, announcements were made.

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I honestly don't believe this is a DVC tower. There is a lot of convention space at Contemporary and I'm always reading on threads here how "booked up" it gets. Could this not simply be a way to increase capacity? After all, by removing the North Wing and potentially the South Wing (after the tower is open), how much capacity would be added? Perhaps triple what existed in the two wings? :veryconfu

They remodled the south wing just a few months ago but not the north. The tower is for the DVC, they don't announce until they get closer to opening date. They still need to sell other resort options and don't want people waiting for the one that is still a couple of years away from opening.

mickhyperion

I like the new addition. I think it is a nice design that WILL compliment the original tower, certainly much more than the Garden Wings ever did. The two together will give somewhat the appearance of a contemporary city. A third tower would enhance that even more. It will look great from Tomorrowland. It will also provide a whole lot more people the opportunity to have a room with a "Magic Kingdom View" and that's certainly not a bad thing.

Regarding the DVC announcement, they wasted no time announcing the DVC addition to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Wasn't that before they even broke ground for it? Why would they be waiting so long to make the announcement for the Contemporary since construction is already underway?

DisneyJoe

I believe someone had posted photos or scans of permits here that mentioned "Contemporary Suites" - so one possible thought is that these will be a combination of convention rooms, family suites, and maybe DVC rooms....

donsullivan

Premium Member
Here's a couple of other renderings from different angles that I've come across around the web. They give a better sense of the scale of the building (at least according to these images) relative to each other. You can also see the bridge that connects to the Grand Canyon Concourse level between the towers.

chels26

i know most of you aren't thrilled about this..but i am.. if it is DVC.. which im positive it is.. because when my mom asked the DVC people at the kart in the MK they said in a very shady tone "well, we aren't sure.. but we HAVE heard rumors". And then i was thinking about it.. Epcot/MGM has DVC resorts. DtD has DVC resorts. and now AK has a DVC resort.. whats next?? MK.

I really hope that I'm right... because we would def. use our points there. As much as we love the epcot area resorts... we miss staying around the MK..

devoy1701

Remeber though... A DVC is not only available to DVC members... so it's basically just an addition to the hotel...which the Contemporary needs because it's really not all that big and books solid! Family suites are a great idea! It's so nice to have a kitchen in your room so you can make your own breakfast or dinner sometimes and save some $$$! And maybe the additional space might bring the price of rooms at the Contemporary down to WL prices...probably not tho... Either way I still would pick WL over the Contemporary anyday.

Also, I LOVE how the cylindrical shape of the addition compliments the Triangular Prism of the original structure. Simple geometrics! They fit together perfectly! If/when they design a 3rd building...a vertical pyramid or cube would be an excellent choice! Or even just another cylinder like the current addition. Just as long as you can always see the original structure from 7 Seas Lagoon...

WDWEric

I think they are going to use kinda reversed forced perspective. because it is going to be behind the Contemporary it should look smaller from the lagoon.

jmvd20

Perhaps it is not going to be a DVC hotel but instead will be one massive DVC sales kiosk!!!!

Now that would be a sight to behold, the grandest kiosk of them all...

freediverdude

I also noticed from the drawings that it looked like they were putting the very top floor of rooms on the Bay Lake side, maybe to also minimize the height appearance. But I still don't understand why they would make this 1-2 stories taller than the main building. Did they not think it would make enough money unless they had that many rooms? If it looks just as tall or slightly taller, I don't think that was the right thing to do. I don't mind it being DVC, but it should have been 1-2 stories shorter than the main building.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom