Does anyone else find the Contemporary DVC odd?

TestTrack

Original Poster
When I read through the work permits I was surprised to see that the DVC tower is going to be taller than the Contemporary(12 vs 15 stories I believe...could be wrong). Does anyone else find it "wrong" to make an add-on to a resort taller than the main building? :shrug:

MeTa

That is a bti strange, but I am sure they will do it in good taste. After all Contemp. is a original building. If they were going to mess up the look then they might as well kno:hammer: ck it down.

son of walt

absolutely. imho, the contemporary tower is the icon of the monorail resorts. if the renderings hold true, its going to be outshined. i understand doing a dvc contemporary resort, but not at the expense of a wdw landmark.

MeTa

I just saw those renderings for the first time, it looks as if the tower will sit behind the original. If thats so I think it will compliment it well. But we'll see

shoppingnut

I think it's going to take away from the look of the contemporary hotel and going to impact and put a strain on the main hotel's restaurants and other facilities.

son of walt

i guess it just depends on which angle you're looking from. if you're out in the street, perpendicular to the lobby entrance, or looking from inside the mk, i'm betting its going to overshadow quite a bit. but if you're coming from under the water bridge towards the resort, it might not be as bad. either way, its not going to be the same view of an icon. like you said earlier, its an original.

MeTa

They are from screamscape....

db_2008_DVC_Wing_art119.jpg

db_2008_DVC_Wing_art219.jpg

I just saw those renderings for the first time, it looks as if the tower will sit behind the original. If thats so I think it will compliment it well. But we'll see

This is why I hate the whole DVD addition idea because the Contemporary does not need to be "complimented." Not to be over-dramatic here but the Contemporary has been at WDW since day 1. It's a classic icon. To me it's the same as if you were to add another "complimentary" structure next to the Eiffel Tower or the Washington Monument. I just don't get it. With all the land they still have left to build on.....

MeTa

This is why I hate the whole DVD addition idea because the Contemporary does not need to be "complimented." Not to be over-dramatic here but the Contemporary has been at WDW since day 1. It's a classic icon. To me it's the same as if you were to add another "complimentary" structure next to the Eiffel Tower or the Washington Monument. I just don't get it. With all the land they still have left to build on.....

Almost every post I have that has to do with change I am against it all, but what are we going to do. They are building it, I can either learn to like it or lose sleep about it.

Besides everyone got thier own opinion :shrug:

You could have the same "Day 1" (as I have had against other things) about tons of stuff, but they do what they do.?

DznyRktekt

I think the new tower could relate to the original in a better way. The connection piece looks like an afterthought. From a human vantage point, it may be ok. I am not a fan of the convention center addition that was built in the 90's either. I like symmetry. Of course we are being armchair architects/ imagineers and have little idea of the purpose and motivation for the decisions made concerning this project. :shrug:

jmvd20

I'm confused, is this or is it not going to be a DVC resort.

Hard to know for sure since it is Disney's best kept secret... ;)

Disney has not officially said it is or isn't a DVC resort yet, actually I don't think they have even said they are building anything in the first place. However it is almost a certainty that it is a DVC resort.

jmvd20

From http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_con.htm :

"The Tower is 14 stories tall"

and from http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/wdwrr/resorts/cr.htm

regarding the California Grill "On the Contemporary's fifteenth floor".

I don't think you are going to see too much of a difference between the two.

I agree that there shouldn't be much of a difference in height since one would think they would try to keep a general flow between the 2 structures.

However basing total height on how many stories a building has isn't a very accurate measuring stick. While an average storie on a building is about 10' tall it does not have to be 10' tall, it could be 12'. Sure 2' doesn't seem like alot but by the time you have 15 stories that 30' is a huge difference, especially when the buildings are in close proximity.

TomorrowlandTyler

Not to start any wild rumors, but down the road if this "North DVC Tower" is a success, Do you think the south wing will also be demolished to make way for a "South DVC Tower", so they compliment each other? :lookaroun

uno rail

I hope so. The south "garden wing" always looked like when you tack modular classrooms to enlarge schools. And I think a second C tower would look more completed (I personally like the design though).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom