Does any one remember....

HntdMansionFan

Original Poster
I know this goes WAY back, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does any one remember a band that played in Tomorrowland back in the mid '70's called (I think this is the right name) "Gabriel and His Brass"? I remember them playing when I was there in Feb. of 1976. My Parents and Grandmother loved them. I hope I'm not just having a brain cramp here. :p

Robfasto

I sort of remember that group, I seem to remember them playing in the Tomorrowland Terreace Restaurant (now Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe).

Robfasto

I haven't been about to find out much about the group online, just one of the members that played with them for 10 years.

Ken relocated to Orlando, Florida to play trombone with the 12-piece pop-fusion group Nick Russo & Gabriel's Brass that took Disney World audiences by storm with their debut appearance in April 1972. Establishing himself as a highly capable trombonist, Ken performed with Gabriel's Brass from 1972-1982 when the group broke up.

Source: http://www.kendavies.net/kd-bio.html

HntdMansionFan

Original Poster
Thanks Robfasto! I was hoping someone else would remember. I didn't think I had the name exactly right, so I came up with nothing online. I will have to check my old pics at home to see if my Mother took any of them.

Becky S

There's a B&W picture of "Nick Russo and Gabriel's Brass" on Joe Adcock's (former group member) Myspace page:
http://www.myspace.com/mightyjoeadcock/photos/7690346#{"ImageId":7690346}[/quote

Gabriel's Brass actually played in the fantasyland stage. My family & I went most weekends to listen to them. In 1979 I took a job at Disney as Mickey Mouse & got to enjoy listening to the most days they played. Nick Russo actually passed away about a year or so ago. I saw the obit in, I believe, the Orlando Sentinal. The person playing in the tomorrowland terrace was Michael Iceberg. Awesome entertainer!!

DaveSWal

Hi Becky S. I worked in Frontierland operations (rides) mainly during the summers in the mid/late 70s and would frequently come over to listen to Nick Russo and Gabriel's Brass after work. I mentioned above Joe Adcock (drummer) Myspace page - I recall he joined Gabriel's Brass at about the age of 17 - that was really amazing - all of the other group members were older - Joe did a really great job - along with the whole group! I also went to Tomorrowland Terrace to listen to Michael Iceberg on synthesizers - that was fun! Later, after I moved to Oklahoma, Michael Iceberg showed up at a local college on tour - he must have left Disney or taken a hiatus to go on tour - he had a new stage setup for that show (you may recall his interesting setup at the Terrace) and I think had put in a lot of new musical material. He had a guy working lighting for him (had to be real flashy, right?!) - I think he had also been at Disney - that was great to hear Michael Iceberg again then too! Good times.

Watercraft TD

Yes, I worked at Disney world during 1970 & 71, loved going to tomorrow land terrace and listen to Nick Russo and Gabriel's Brass in the evening when my shift was done. Those guys really put out a great sound. Was very sad to hear that Mr Russo had passed. I have searched for video of this great sounding band, but have never found any. I did buy one of thier albums. I think they only recorded two, but could be mistaken. It would be terrific if someone would post a video of their unbelievably strong brass performances.

Beckythemouse

I know this goes WAY back, but I'm going to ask anyway. Does any one remember a band that played in Tomorrowland back in the mid '70's called (I think this is the right name) "Gabriel and His Brass"? I remember them playing when I was there in Feb. of 1976. My Parents and Grandmother loved them. I hope I'm not just having a brain cramp here. :p
I worked at tomorrow land terrace in 1974. Yes that band sounds right because I remember them playing songs from the well known band Chicago...they sounded just like them. I remember seeing them before their sets down in the tunnels. The stage rose up from the tunnel so as it rose they would be playing a song and voila! They were upstairs where we all enjoyed their music and danced. But of course I could not dance because I was taking food orders. Constellation burgers and moon dogs!!! What fun. Thanks for letting me go down memory lane!!!!

Sonconato

I worked at tomorrow land terrace in 1974. Yes that band sounds right because I remember them playing songs from the well known band Chicago...they sounded just like them. I remember seeing them before their sets down in the tunnels. The stage rose up from the tunnel so as it rose they would be playing a song and voila! They were upstairs where we all enjoyed their music and danced. But of course I could not dance because I was taking food orders. Constellation burgers and moon dogs!!! What fun. Thanks for letting me go down memory lane!!!!
I was just looking at some old photo albums and I found some pictures of them. I posted this on another thread, but I thought you would enjoy it:
Nick Russo 1.JPG
Nick Russo 2.JPG
Nick Russo 3.JPG

The Empress Lilly

Cindy1602

I remember them, the name of the band was Nick Russo and Gabriels Brass. They played outside under a pavilion near Fantasyland for awhile, and maybe in the Tomorrowland area as well at Disney World. I was friends with some of the group.

JoeCamel

I remember them, the name of the band was Nick Russo and Gabriels Brass. They played outside under a pavilion near Fantasyland for awhile, and maybe in the Tomorrowland area as well at Disney World. I was friends with some of the group.
I hope they get your message after all these years. The OP was last active on these boards February 2019 so there is a chance.

Chellergirl

I remember, I had crush on jon kricker. I loved him, such as would be called puppy love now. BUT my older sister wanted me to be with her si she wouldn't look like a groupie. I DIDN'T CARE Just wanted to look at Jon's beautiful face. I wonder how he is doing, I wish I could see him 1 more time if y know what I mean. CINDY/CYNTHIA DIXON
CHELLERGIRL@GMAIL.COM
By the way I thought it was called Nick Russo and Gabriels Brass

pais

YESSS! We never missed it. I can still hear them playing Chuck Mangione's "Feels so Good"!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom