Doctor Strange

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
Original Poster
More from street filming in NYC

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 5.33.30 PM.png

erasure fan1

Looks like Tuesday we get the first trailer! I am really looking forward to seeing how this one looks.
comingsoon.net said:
On Monday, April 11, Jimmy Kimmel Live will welcome Team Captain America with guests Chris Evans, Sebastian Stan, Anthony Mackie and Paul Rudd. The Marvel extravaganza then continues on Tuesday, April 12, with the debut of the Doctor Strange trailer. Star Benedict Cumberbatch will exclusively debut the first trailer with Agents of SHIELD star Clark Gregg also appearing on the Tuesday night show.
Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/674081-doctor-strange-trailer#DIodcsrqs4J3Dq68.99

Matt_Black

Fantastic trailer. I really hope they don't reveal too much before release, but we all know they will.

Actually, since Doctor Strange is such a radical departure from what we've had before, I wouldn't begrudge them if they did, simply so that those who aren't nerds and don't know Doctor Strange from Doctor Phil will get that this is magic and fantasy and stuff.

Matt_Black

Why are they using a white bald woman to play an ancient Asian man to teach a British white man the mystic Asian arts? If the character had to be a woman, why not get Michelle Yeoh from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I guess she wasn't Asian enough.

http://blog.angryasianman.com/2016/01/nice-try-marvel-dr-strange-casting-is.html

Well, on the one hand, they are trying, in a some what goofy fashion, to avoid the stereotypical "Wise Old Asian Mystic" trope, not unlike what they did with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. On the other hand, they could have just put a little more effort into the script so that the Ancient One would be more than just a stereotype.

Phroobar

Well, on the one hand, they are trying, in a some what goofy fashion, to avoid the stereotypical "Wise Old Asian Mystic" trope, not unlike what they did with the Mandarin in Iron Man 3. On the other hand, they could have just put a little more effort into the script so that the Ancient One would be more than just a stereotype.

That makes about as much sense as using Martin Freeman for that role. Why not Jet Li? If they had to change the character to avoid a stereotype, then why not just use a young Asian woman mystic? At least Yeoh or Lucy Liu or Ming-Na Wen could do the stunts.

Matt_Black

That makes about as much sense as using Martin Freeman for that role. Why not Jet Li? If they had to change the character to avoid a stereotype, then why not just use a young Asian woman mystic? At least Yeoh or Lucy Liu or Ming-Na Wen could do the stunts.

Ming Na is already in the MCU, so she's out. As for the rest, I'll just chalk it up to Hollywood still having a long way to go when it comes to diversity. After all, look at ScarJo as the lead in the Ghost in the Shell movie. I'd think that would garner more outrage than the bit player who is almost certainly going to die at the hands of the villain to give our hero even more motivation.

Phroobar

Hollywood needs to look at the incredible talent that is in the Hong Kong film industry. They could find the next Jackie Chan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom