Do you wear a hat while running?

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
I have never been a hat person. I really don't like the sun glare while running, I'm often scoping out which side of the street has more shade. I was thinking about getting a runners hat, but I would think that would just make me hotter. Maybe a visor would be better? I wear prescription eyeglasses so sunglasses are not an option. Any advise?

SW_matt

I know some sunglass manufacturers will do custom builds with inserts for your prescription lenses, might be wort a shot. I just bought a pair of oakley crankshafts (admittedly non prescription lenses) for mountain biking/running/ disney worldling and the image I get from the polarised lenses is great

JillC LI

I wear prescription eyeglasses that are transitional so they get dark out in the sun. I wear a hat in the winter but no cap/visor in the summer.

LindsayLoves

Visor wearer over here! I sweat like a crazy person so I need to wear something across my forehead to keep the sweat from pouring into my eyes which really messes up my contacts. The added sun protection is an added bonus.

Headsweats are pretty popular and not too tight at all. I like the elastic band on the back because it makes you feel like there is nothing on your head. I only use hats when it is pouring rain and I need some extra protection, otherwise I overheat with them on.

JasonDeyoung

Inside I'll wear my under armor hat it doesn't make me sweat any more than normal and breaths easy. Outside I will wear it sometimes but not during races

Last edited:

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
I was looking at the Headsweats brand before posting this. I may get one of their visors and give it a try.

dreamfinder

Never wear a hat. When my hair is long I'll wear a bandana, but that's about it. You can definitely get script inserts for sunglasses, that would be my route if I didn't wear contacts.

216bruce

Bald guy here. Long runs on a sunny day...hat is a must for obvious reasons. Also found that in a light rain- like last years WDW Marathon, it helped with the rain in the eyes. White, vented runners hat.

lukacseven

I like to go with a visor to not only keep sun off my face, but to help keep sweat out of my eyes. In colder weather, I get too hot with a hat (even the vented, running specific hats). The Headsweats visors are nice/comfortable, but be prepared to buy a few every year. They aren't adjustable & elastic backs get stretched out. I'll go with sunglasses in addition to the visor because a lot of races are early and the brim of the visor doesn't do much for the low sun angle.

Texas84

I like to go with a visor to not only keep sun off my face, but to help keep sweat out of my eyes. In colder weather, I get too hot with a hat (even the vented, running specific hats). The Headsweats visors are nice/comfortable, but be prepared to buy a few every year. They aren't adjustable & elastic backs get stretched out. I'll go with sunglasses in addition to the visor because a lot of races are early and the brim of the visor doesn't do much for the low sun angle.

? Mine are adjustable. New version maybe?

lukacseven

? Mine are adjustable. New version maybe?
They make different models/styles. Unfortunately, the more popular one (Supervisor) are the elastic ones. I found a really nice Pearl Izumi visor years ago and bought a few before they discontinued the style.

Texas84

They make different models/styles. Unfortunately, the more popular one (Supervisor) are the elastic ones. I found a really nice Pearl Izumi visor years ago and bought a few before they discontinued the style.

You're right. I recently got to try one of the stretch-only versions without the adjustable back and it was way too small for me.

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
I have read some other reviews that Headsweats hats tend to be small. That has me concerned because when I buy a fitted hat I need to get a larger size. Mine is on the way so I'll find out if it fits soon.

Texas84

I have read some other reviews that Headsweats hats tend to be small. That has me concerned because when I buy a fitted hat I need to get a larger size. Mine is on the way so I'll find out if it fits soon.

Looks like the one I got from RoadID is their reflective model. It adjusts in the back.

Mad Stitch

Original Poster
The Sweatheads visor I ordered arrived this weekend. Everything I have read about them being small was right. It is so tight on my head that I'd say it's a little bit painful to wear. Also, the bill is at least an inch smaller than the one on my baseball cap. Not very effective when the primary reason for buying it was to block the sun. I'm sending it back.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom