Do you think Shanghai will go for another expansion next or go for a second gate?

Haymarket

I don't have any opinion of the Shanghai CM's in general as I've never been there, and I don't know anyone who has been there.

But these three CM's are my favorite. Ladies, is it really that bad? :eek:

View attachment 746169
No, one photo isn't representative of the CMs. I've been twice and I'm headed over again in a few weeks. The CMs have always been kind and welcoming.

The park is a hit. I know that's irritating to the vocal sinophobes here, but it's a great park. If you haven't been, you can't really judge.

WoundedDreamer

This is an intriguing question. Right now, Shanghai Shendi Group is in the midst of a massive multi-billion dollar expansion to the south of Shanghai Disney Resort. Shendi is the co-owner of Shanghai Disney Resort. Shanghai Shendi might be constrained with what they can contribute in the next few years. In addition, the government did not announce a new park in their 5 year plan. Obviously, that isn't absolute, but it means immediate priorities might be elsewhere. Personally, I wouldn't be shocked if something like the following occurs...

Next 2 to 3 Years- Walt Disney Imagineering and Shendi begin preliminary work on the park. This would include market research, masterplanning, basic thematic choices, and some basic design work. Disney and Shendi begin to gain political support for the park. There might be a statement either in the press or in a government meeting along the lines of "we are currently exploring the possibility of 2nd park at Shanghai Disney Resort with our partners at Disney, but we have not finalized our plans." I do expect some interim expansion will be announced at Shanghai Disneyland Park. Nearly the entire time the park has been open something has been in the pipeline. A useful ride addition might be an omnimover in the style of Finding Nemo, Little Mermaid, or Haunted Mansion. Adding 2-3 omnimover attractions would bolster the park's capacity dramatically while adding additional attractions for families with small children. They also shouldn't break the bank (in theory).

In about 2-3 years- The 2nd park's basic theme and artwork are released to the public. Within a year the park is approved by the regional government, and site prep begins. Construction commences thereafter.

7-8 years out- The 2nd Park Opens to the public.

Obviously, the following is hypothetical, but I think this timeline makes sense. And of course economic, social, and political impacts might throw a wrench into this timeline. But given Disney promised 60 billion in spending over the next ten years, it seems like they're ready to spend big at Shanghai Disney Resort. The slide deck was very optimistic about the prospects of the Shanghai Park. If Disney were planning to cut Shanghai off due to the geopolitical risk, then Disney would have communicated that in their investor briefing. Instead, Disney was bullish about the future of the resort and the Chinese market. Plus, Disney will only be providing about 40% of the capital for the expansion, so I'm thinking they'll continue on course. The alternative is not investing and potentially missing out on a lucrative market. Whatever they contribute to Shanghai Disney would be awful to lose, but the gamble seems worthwhile.

Haymarket

Universal Beijing on ThemeparX. At least four new cranes.

Are they already starting with the next expansion?

1000005489.jpg

Advisable Joseph

This seemed like the best place for this:

In light of Disney's assertion that it has over a thousand acres (possibly "thousands") of undeveloped land at its resorts, does anyone know how much "undeveloped land" exists at the Shanghai Disney resort?

BrianLo

This seemed like the best place for this:

In light of Disney's assertion that it has over a thousand acres (possibly "thousands") of undeveloped land at its resorts, does anyone know how much "undeveloped land" exists at the Shanghai Disney resort?

Shanghai Disney has at least 30 acres to use. Another 18 acres are in front of the park. I’m not sure if that would be earmarked for a downtown Disney expansion, a gate adjacent premium resort (that might make sense, it would be between both parks) or park expansion, though I think it’s less likely for the latter. The only time that site has been used was for queuing for opening day.

The second gate site is about 135-140 acres within its berm. Some of this could be for public facing retail and a hotel.

There is a long 200 acre strip of land wrapping around both parks. I don’t know the long term plan for that, it’s not for parks but could be for some resorts or to maintain a wildlife corridor (though it is all boxed in by the moat). The 2010 master plan left it blank and labeled both flanks as mixed use. Or Shendi could develop whatever crap they want around it too ultimately. The second park is currently ecological park, so it might shift to the wrap around instead.

The third park, which appears be for the most part tree farms now, is 120 acres.

There are 40 acres set aside for the premium hotels (the one being built but also a second major plot). At the far end of the lake is another 30 acres that I assume would ultimately contain a resort, at least that was the original master plan. 15 acres is also set aside for Toy Story hotels twin.

There’s some more space, but I’m fairly convinced Shendi wouldn’t have it set aside for anything Disney.

Last edited:

Moon Waffle

No, one photo isn't representative of the CMs. I've been twice and I'm headed over again in a few weeks. The CMs have always been kind and welcoming.

The park is a hit. I know that's irritating to the vocal sinophobes here, but it's a great park. If you haven't been, you can't really judge.
It’s a great park with fantastic cast. Been there myself. It gets a bad rap only because it’s located in Mainland China. If it were located in any of the other countries that already have a Disney resort, the negativity would vanish.

IMDREW

Dont really know where to ask this and dont want to start a new thread for it. But does anyone know if Shanghai Disneyland hotel does any discounts?

co10064

Premium Member
I would love for this to be something else, but according to previous rumors this would be the spider man coaster
I also feel like this would be really out of place thematically too. Would it be a whole land themed around Spiderman? NYC? a mini-Avenger's campus with only one ride?

Gusey

I also feel like this would be really out of place thematically too. Would it be a whole land themed around Spiderman? NYC? a mini-Avenger's campus with only one ride?
Also, the Marvel Universe attraction is currently located between Tomorrowland and Gardens of Imagination (as part of Gardens of Imaginations attraction lineup) and the expansion plot for this attraction would be the other side of the park between Zootopia and Treasure Cove. The expansion plot looks to roughly be similar in size to Zootopia, so something to consider

Attachments

• Shanghai 3rd expansion.png
    Shanghai 3rd expansion.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 131

Supersnow84

Original Poster
Doesn’t HK have an exclusion clause on avengers campus as long as they technically haven’t cancelled the third attraction or is it only ride based exclusivity

I know spider man is kinda weird half half on marvel in terms of licensing but I don’t feel like it’s a conflict they would really want regardless

BrianLo

Doesn’t HK have an exclusion clause on avengers campus as long as they technically haven’t cancelled the third attraction or is it only ride based exclusivity

I know spider man is kinda weird half half on marvel in terms of licensing but I don’t feel like it’s a conflict they would really want regardless

It’s only five years and it is specific to cloning the development, not the IP.

Hence Buzz Lightyear could feature in Shanghai Tomorrowland opening day, but Toy Story Playland needed to wait for the expiration of the exclusivity.

It’s partially a means that their partners don’t want them using their money to essentially reduce development costs at other parks. The other part is HK being sensitive to Shanghai Disneyland, to a lesser extent Tokyo.

lazyboy97o

It’s only five years and it is specific to cloning the development, not the IP.

Hence Buzz Lightyear could feature in Shanghai Tomorrowland opening day, but Toy Story Playland needed to wait for the expiration of the exclusivity.

It’s partially a means that their partners don’t want them using their money to essentially reduce development costs at other parks. The other part is HK being sensitive to Shanghai Disneyland, to a lesser extent Tokyo.
The exclusivity is also not automatic or consistent. Mystic Point had global exclusivity but Toy Story Playland was only exclusive to Asia.

If Spider-Man had any exclusivity issues in the region it would have been due to Universal Studios Japan, but that’s now a moot issue.

Supersnow84

Original Poster
I’m never going to deny an expansion but does Shanghai really need more E tickets

Like are they trying for the TDS route of “build it so big and dense that even if it’s all e tickets it’s still good”

Another 1 ride land with an E ticket seems a strange choice, about what I’d expect from HK’s next expansion but Shanghai seems like it needs HK’s arendelle but then again I’m not terribly in tune with Chinese populations perception of Shanghai

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom