Do You Tell Your Kids About Walt?

Goofyernmost

Original Poster
I saw this on a different board but thought it might be an interesting topic for here.

Do you spend anytime telling your kids about Walt Disney. What he accomplished, how the park got his name, how he created Mickey, how he built the theme parks, etc.

Do they know when they see the statue of him and Mickey...who he is? :)

copcarguyp71

Absolutely. American Icon.

I have to agree and well said. Walt was a true visionary who was willing to put himself on the line for what he truly believed in. He did not come from an affluent family nor did he have an overly remarkable upbringing or schooling. The man just knew how to pull himself up by his bootstraps and get things done! I personally take a lot of cues from him in my own small business and I believe that kids can benefit by learning about people like Walt. Unfortunately I also have to use him as a case study in the same breath for not smoking and what that can lead to as well. Just imagine what what he could have done with a few more years would at Disney World if he had not been a smoker.

MagicKat103

I have always talked about him with my kids. We've watched the biography on A&E of him and my oldest really enjoyed it. When we talk about Disney, we talk about dreams, and how Walt's dream was to make a place, enjoyable for everyone, where dreams come true. And how he took something he loved, and made it his passion. And I always remind my kids that with hard work and imagination and creativity, their dreams can come true also.

ExtinctJenn

DS6 is very aware of who "Mr. Walt Disney" was and the things he believed and did. As he gets older I expect him to use Walt as his topic for reports at school etc. (basing that only on his interest in him at 6). We always talk about how everything we enjoy on our trips wouldn't exist without Walt. He also somewhat understands Walt's early history with Oswald and then losing Oswald and finding Mickey etc.

Beholder

Oh yes, love telling our daughter about "The Man"! I try to impart his intent behind the parks, movies, tv shows of his time compared to what we have now. Not always negative, but as a contrast to how things were as opposed to the way things operate today. I like explaining why values and standards are, in the long run, a better goal than JUST profits, and how he seemed to strike a wonderful balance between those objectives.

wiigirl

Absolutely. American Icon.

Definetly. I try to play up how being motivated, smart, and having a dream you can create whatever you want. Got them a few books too.
75.gif

Mickey_777

Only if it comes up in conversation will I mention him. He was a visionary for sure but I won't talk about him at bedtime or anything. That'd be creepy.

erstwo

I have. I think 'One Man's Dream' makes it much easier to start the conversation with your children about Walt Disney and the companies he started. I think Walt Disney has many admirable qualities that are teachable moments - he didn't let failure keep him from trying again. He kept going despite setbacks. And he's one of the ultimate American entrepreneurs - building something great from nothing but his own creative ideas and hard work.

powlessfamily4

I have educated them at length! I grew up with The Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday nights and was a huge Disney fan as a child. My kids were raised on Disney and have a love for the parks and Walt himself. Each time a documentary was aired we would watch it as a family. We are now expecting the first grandchild. My daughter in law lives with us while we are waiting for our son to come home from the Navy. I have taken the opportunity to bring my daughter in law up to speed on Walt and educated her on Disney. ;) I am now ready to educate the next generation of our family about Walt Disney and his incredible dream.

DisneyDebNJ

I saw this on a different board but thought it might be an interesting topic for here.

Do you spend anytime telling your kids about Walt Disney. What he accomplished, how the park got his name, how he created Mickey, how he built the theme parks, etc.

Do they know when they see the statue of him and Mickey...who he is? :)
Absolutely yes. Since DS was a baby, he remembers me stopping in front of the castle, every trip, blowing a kiss and hearing me say "thank you Uncle Walt". When at DHS a must do, is a trip to Walt Disney, One Man's Dream. When he was in High School, he had to do a thesis on The Most Iconic American Figure, he chose Walt Disney and dedicated it to me... "To my Mom, who introduced me to the works of this great man, who taught me, to wish upon a star" I cried my flippin eyes out LOL

twinnstar

I think its sad, but even though my parents didnt shy away from telling me about Walt growing up - I think most of what I saw and learned was from the old things they would show on the Disney Channel, about WDW, DL, EPCOT, etc....or intros he did to Babes in Toyland, etc. They dont show that stuff anymore... even if kids are told about Walt, i wonder if it makes the same impact of being able to SEE Walt and grow up with him (even if he wasnt alive when you grew up!)

rnese

I've watched the documentary on Walt (narrated by Dick van ) with my eight year-old. He was very interested in how Walt was poor as a child. I told him about the imagineers and how he could someday be one if he wants. He's into it! I bought him Roller Coaster Tycoon...and he's building parks and attractions, letting the imagination run wild. I only hope that when I retire, he'll be working as an imagineer and get me a DVC for all of the cash I blew on him getting him there!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom