Do you put tinsel on Christmas tree?

Do you put tinsel on your Christmas tree?

• Yes

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • no

Votes: 17 73.9%

• Total voters

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I put yes, in terms that I put silver tinsel garland on my main tree. My mom loved putting tinsel on the tree, she said a tree wasn't finished until it had tinsel. I am impatient about putting it on so it looks nice so my concession is the garland. The Christmas before my mom passed away she expressed that she thought it was getting harder to find tinsel for sale in stores, so I bought her 5 boxes so she could stock up. She passed before I gave them to her and now I have the boxes. I know I won't use them but I just can't throw them away either. Ugh, that was kind of a downer story. Sorry. I do enjoy seeing tinsel on trees though because it reminds me of good memories with mom.

Oh and we always had dogs in the house growing up (at one point 6 plus) and none of our dogs were ever interested in the tree or tinsel. But I remember my mom being very mindful of it and when she put the couple real trees we had outside after Christmas she made sure to remove every single strand so it wouldn't harm the birds.

EZRock

In the Parks
No
Why waste the time putting tinsel on your Christmas tree when you can play Epic Mickey instead in your spare time.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Why waste the time putting tinsel on your Christmas tree when you can play Epic Mickey instead in your spare time.
While playing video games is one of the things I enjoy as an adult, I am one of those loves to decorate for Christmas.
Putting Tinsel on Christmas Tree does not take as much time as you think.

I can name multiple things for Christmas decorating that takes longer than tinsel. Putting up outdoor Christmas decorations can take up a good amount of time. I took a lot of time for setting up my Christmas villages and that takes longer than Tinsel. I do those things because I enjoy doing it.

Your comment is one I understand because I was your age at one time, but it was way before you were born. When you are 13 years old, you can have different interests than you in future years. Video games exist for many decades and is something I enjoy for many years.

My younger brother and I grew up in a house that put up a lot of outdoor and indoor Christmas decorations and the fact I took interest in decorating to the extent I do is not a surprise. Christmas Decorating, and doing Christmas cookies are a bigger priority than playing video games for me at this time of the year in terms of free time as an adult

EZRock

In the Parks
No
While playing video games is one of the things I enjoy as an adult, I am one of those loves to decorate for Christmas.

I can name multiple things for Christmas decorating that takes longer than tinsel. Putting up outdoor Christmas decorations can take up a good amount of time. I took a lot of time for setting up my Christmas villages and that takes longer than Tinsel. I do those things because I enjoy doing it.

Your comment is one I understand because I was your age at one time, but it was way before you were born. When you are 13 years old, you can have different interests than you in future years. Video games exist for many decades and is something I enjoy for many years.

My younger brother and I grew up in a house that put up a lot of outdoor and indoor Christmas decorations and the fact I took interest in decorating to the extent I do is not a surprise. Christmas Decorating, and doing Christmas cookies are a bigger priority than playing video games for me at this time of the year in terms of free time as an adult
This makes complete sense. To be honest, my previous post was a joke, although it came off rude, and for that I hope you can forgive me for my immaturity.

But to answer your question, no, our family doesn’t put tinsel on our Christmas tree.

Goofyernmost

I don't guess it would be a surprise for me to say that I am a against video games. I don't see any redeeming factor anywhere. They only positive I can see is the thumb muscle building. One sits there hour after hour and makes believe they are actually doing something. Lame, as hell! As an occasional pastime I have no problem, but they never turn out to be that. They turn out to be an obsession and occasionally a very harmful one. I don't believe that playing video games will cause anyone to go out and kill a group of people, but it does throw some unbelievable thoughts in kids heads. I had a grandson that played war games all the time and when he reached 18 he was determined to join the Marines because due to his skill with the games he was convinced that he could single handedly wipe out all of our enemies. It never really occurred to him that in real life those folks tend to shoot back, with real bullets. Believe me real war is not fun, entertaining or something to strive to be involved in at all.

Yes, we used to play war when I was a kid, I was born just after WWII and into Korea but, we at least were outside, running and hiding, using sticks of wood to make believe we had guns or a cheap cap pistol for not even close to realistic sound affects, but, we were exercising more then our thumbs. I did play a golf video game once with my granddaughter and after she beat me I decided that it wasn't my thing. I am still able to beat her playing actual golf though and flex a few muscles in the process.

The preceding was strictly my opinion (because I know I am going to get a lot of push back) so let me clarify, what others do with their spare time is none of my business or real concern, and yes, I am old, but in my defense I do embrace, defend and admire modern technology, but I personally see no real redeeming quality in mindless video games. Educational games are quite useful and positive, it's the others that make me shake my head.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I used to as a kid in the 90s but truthfully, I don’t like how it looks, plus I have cats and dogs and don’t want to risk it. I just stick with ornaments and a tree topper.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
I don't guess it would be a surprise for me to say that I am a against video games. I don't see any redeeming factor anywhere. They only positive I can see is the thumb muscle building. One sits there hour after hour and makes believe they are actually doing something. Lame, as hell! As an occasional pastime I have no problem, but they never turn out to be that. They turn out to be an obsession and occasionally a very harmful one. I don't believe that playing video games will cause anyone to go out and kill a group of people, but it does throw some unbelievable thoughts in kids heads. I had a grandson that played war games all the time and when he reached 18 he was determined to join the Marines because due to his skill with the games he was convinced that he could single handedly wipe out all of our enemies. It never really occurred to him that in real life those folks tend to shoot back, with real bullets. Believe me real war is not fun, entertaining or something to strive to be involved in at all.
I was introduced to video games as way for try to improve hand and eye coordination back when I was a kid. The fact is I had very bad motor skills when was little.

I did not join the military. The fact is I knew what was real and what was fantasy. Video games is another form of entertainment like movies, and tv shows are. The parents jobs is to teach their kids the basic stuff in right in terms of what is right and wrong.

The other thing is video games have a rating system on the game for determining who should play the game. The rating system is made for stuff like preventing the parent to buy their 5 or 6 year old kid a game that is suited for 17 year olds. The fact is if the parent buys a 5 year old a game that has rating system that you have to be 17 years old to play, that is on the parent for ignoring the rating system.

When I was a teenager, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter first came out. I did not try to perform moves in a video game in real life. Mortal Kombat was the game

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I was introduced to video games as way for try to improve hand and eye coordination back when I was a kid. The fact is I had very bad motor skills when was little.

I did not join the military. The fact is I knew what was real and what was fantasy. Video games is another form of entertainment like movies, and tv shows are. The parents jobs is to teach their kids the basic stuff in right in terms of what is right and wrong.

The other thing is video games have a rating system on the game for determining who should play the game. The rating system is made for stuff like preventing the parent to buy their 5 or 6 year old kid a game that is suited for 17 year olds. The fact is if the parent buys a 5 year old a game that has rating system that you have to be 17 years old to play, that is on the parent for ignoring the rating system.

When I was a teenager, Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter first came out. I did not try to perform moves in a video game in real life. Mortal Kombat was the game
Video games have also become an interactive form of storytelling. One that really can't be well duplicated in any other media.

wdwfan4ver

Original Poster
Video games have also become an interactive form of storytelling. One that really can't be well duplicated in any other media.
I know about story telling with video games. Roleplaying games is one of my favorite video game genres.

I saw the direction coming back in the Playstation area. I have been playing video since the 1980s. I had my start with the Atari 2600 and the Intellivision and the Nintendo Switch is the youngest system I own.

My point though still stands. The fact is Video games having rating system just like movies do. Parents have to be responsible for what they buy their kids.

It is the parents job to teach the kids what is real and not, and what is right and wrong also. That is it I want to talk about video games in this topic.

Goofyernmost

I was not trying to imply that what I posted applied to everyone or even the majority, but, it does have severe side affect, in my opinion, for many kids, mostly with the lack of physical action in there lives. For some it is a major tool to help with some skills, but for a huge number it is just unneeded hand movement. It does, indeed help with a lot of computer skill.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom