Do you need free dining to visit Disney World?

Magical Dreamer

We would certainly would try to go every year if Free Dining wasn't available, but I'm not sure we could.

On the other hand when Free Dining is offered, and our family of 5 can go to POR for 10 nights at a cost of $3500. I can't refuse.

tampabrad

Free dining doesn't work for us. Usually just bf and I. We stay in a deluxe resort and usually eat at most of the signature restaurants. Room discount is much more important.

Disneykidder

We havd gone to WDW with free dining, paying for it and without it. Disney is amazing. Having free dining works best for my family but if it weren't offered, we would still go. We still have to eat. Do people not go to Universal, Hershey, Bush Gardens, etc because they do not offer free dining? No...so why should it be any different? Just my crazy thinking.:)

wilkeliza

We go regardless of dinning plan or not. Our first trip we paid everything rack rate and out of pocket. The second trip we bough at DDP after talking to some people and cast members about it. We bought our package straight through Disney so no real way to know if we saved any or not. We did like the being able to pay up front and not have to worry about the amount of money on our CCs or in our pockets. We were able to go to our TS or quick service of choice and only have to worry about tips. This next trip we may be going during one of the free DDP weeks in January. We will see if room discount or DDP is cheaper but either way we will get DDP if we pay for it or not.

usd2bmd

With the exception of our first stay on property, we have always gone during free dining. For us it works. We like to end our summer with the Magic of Disney and it is less crowded at the end of August. We always go the week before Labor day, so when we come home we always still have a day or two before we have to go back to work and my daughter starts school. It makes the jolt of reality a little less painful. Would we go if there was no free dining...yes just not as often. :cool:

Lee

Adventurer
Nope.
Never used ir, never will.

I HATE the negative impact that free, and discounted, plans have had on the dining at the resort.

SeaCastle

Though we've visited in times when it's available, we haven't used it and don't plan on it.

We're already paying significantly less (if at all) for dining at Disney, due to the amount of Disney rewards points we have from our credit card.

powlessfamily4

It's not a deal breaker for me. When I booked my September trip I added dining. Once free dining opened up I was able to take the savings to help extend our a trip.

Jimmy Thick

Original Poster
For me personally, I don't need it, but if its there it would be foolish not to take it. Plus you can upgrade the dining you get free to a better one if you want pretty cheaply.

Seeing as of late how Disney is giving out the dining plan more and more, I wonder if the future of the dining plan just becomes an all inclusive resort experience.

Jimmy Thick-All inclusive...I LIKE how that sounds...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
For me personally, I don't need it, but if its there it would be foolish not to take it. Plus you can upgrade the dining you get free to a better one if you want pretty cheaply.

Seeing as of late how Disney is giving out the dining plan more and more, I wonder if the future of the dining plan just becomes an all inclusive resort experience.

Jimmy Thick-All inclusive...I LIKE how that sounds...
The dining plan is essentially this. It is an option that turns a Disney vacation into a somewhat all inclusive vacation. People like one price and done, even if that price is a little higher. Cruises, resorts, etc have been doing this forever and it is a very successful business model. The rub with it being optional is that it would be very easy for Disney to jack the cash price up on food to the point where the DDP is the only logical option. There is also the problem with the want to minimize expenses and letting food quality suffer as a result.

majorrfb

Free dining a deal maker?

Free dining has never been a reason for us to go to WDW. We really don't need or desire that amount of food or meals. When we go, we want to go regardless of season. Savings, one way or another, is always available. Staying off property can be much less expensive and purchasing tickets from several secured vendors can save money. Many, many savings are available if you really look into the various Disney sites etc. :wave:

BigRedDad

No. I do not spend $50 on a meal in my normal life, I am not spending $50 for one at WDW. I hate planning my trip around meals. This whole ADR system makes it for an unenjoyable trip. I think they need to dump reservations. If you want to eat somewhere, show up, wait for the next available seat, and then eat.

If it were me, I would just eat counter service the whole time and do what I want to do.

loveformickey

On all of our trips except for last year in December we have not been lucky enough to have free dining nor have we ever bought the plan and yet it has never stopped us from going. We did get lucky last year in December and happen to visit the World during a free dining promotion and took full advantage of it. Unfortunately for us this year we happen to pick the dates in October when free dining is not offered (Oct. 12 - Oct. 23). It would be nice if those dates were opened up for free dining but regardless we are going. We go to Disney for more than just the food so while it is desired it is not required! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom