Do you ever need the momentum?

Grim Grinner

Original Poster
I've been to WDW three out of the past four years. With the exception of the first time (which was my honeymoon), I've noticed that the first part of the first day seems to be not-so-magical.

The rides seem to lose their luster, the shows their splendor... Then suddenly something kicks in and I enjoy everything. Soon everything becomes a dreamlike adventure- a vacation fit for a king.

Does anyone else need this warm-up period? It's really weird and was quite noticable last time. I was in the middle of Imagination/3 when I was wondering why I had loved this pavilion at all. Keep in mind that it pales to the original- but going on it again during the second day made it sooooo much more enjoyable.

JBSLJames

Interesting. I don't know if this will be the case with us or not. I hope to get into "The World" by mid to late afternoon on a Saturday, and spend the evening at either Epcot or MK for dinner and whatever fireworks show they do that time of year (hint for a later thread). I'm pretty sure it won't take my kids much time to get revved up.

MerHearted

I agree. On my first day of my trip last summer, it didn't feel right. It didn't really feel like I was there. Maybe I just couldn't believe I was in WDW. I was with Rob and he said "It still doesn't feel like you're here, does it?" I checked into All Star Movies, went to the MGM Studios, and had dinner at the Swan resort that first day. Maybe it was too surreal. But then the next day, the first full day, I went to the Magic Kingdom and oh yeah, I was in WDW! The Magic finally hit me. :)

iluvstitch

I always go through a "I can't believe I'm actually HERE!" phase for the first day. I think it has something to do with when I fly I wake up in Maryland and by lunch time am at WDW. It makes it surreal. -Stephanie

swimmom

I'm excited from the time we leave home to go to the airport until the end of our trip. I always think it's so cool that we start out in the morning in Chicago (in the cold) and end our evening watching fireworks or Illuminations in WDW!!!:D

Dr Disney

My wife always shouts `We`re back` as we drive into the Maingate, so she certainly doesn`t take any warming up. She is also teaching our 2 year old twins to shout it:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

77johnson77

Im sort of that way, like when I went a few weeks ago i went to epcot first and it was like 5 or 6 at night and i needed to get into it, and the people i was with didnt have the magic pooheads, i usually like to save and spread the 3D things out but no they had to do them all the first 3 days.

Thessair

I don’t need the warm-up, but I usually take it knowing what the next few days has in store. More often than not, I schedule my arrival around mid-evening and spend the first night wandering around the Marketplace. It’s a nice and relaxing way to get out the kinks of driving and build up the excitement (if I haven’t already hit overload) for hitting the parks.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by Grim Grinner
I've been to WDW three out of the past four years.
Is it possible that you're going too often ? We're lucky to get to WDW every other year and there's never any momentum lacking in any part of our visits - from the moment we hit the parks when they open to the final firework explosion.

tigsmom

Re: Re: Do you ever need the momentum?

Originally posted by CAPTAIN HOOK
Is it possible that you're going too often ?

Sorry, there is no such thing. :lol:

I understand what you mean, but for me its because I'm tired. We have either gotten up at 3 am to make our flight & I'm exhausted or we've driven with all the maniacs/commuters/vacationers, etc on construction congested roads that my nerves are frayed. I need a little time to recharge, then I'm like a crazy kid. :D

KevinPage

I've always needed at least 1/2 day or the whole first day to "get into it" especially when we go right into the Magic Kingdom.

We'd usually get off the plane, check into the room and head straight to MK. But generally it felt too rushed, I was too anxious to get into a park, and something is missing.

I think my mind is unable to compute that I was home 3 hours ago, now I'm in utopia. It's too quick of a transition.

Now that I live here I can't test out my theory, but if I went out to eat first and then went to the park at night, I think I was "ease into it" better.

:D

Scooter

Do you go to Pleasure Island at night?

Perhaps what you're experiancing is what's commonly known as.....A HANGOVER :lol:

:hurl: :hurl: :cry: :cry: :hammer:

meekoman

I'm usually ready to explode by the time we get there, I'm so excited. Of course, I also don't believe I'm actually there. This, even though we've been there 17 times in 13 years.

Disney2002

I fully understand what you're saying. As I've gotten older, and perhaps more cynical, it takes much more to get me excited. I was totally down on Disney my last trip... everything just seemed wrong. But after a good night at the Comedy Warehouse on Pleasure Island, I fell back into the grove.

It's hard to tell... Has disney lost it's magic... are do we just need more of it to get excited now?

Thessair

Can't say I've ever had that problem. Even if there is something that may seem like a little disappointment to me at the time, there is more than enough wonderful, amazing other things to wash that away.

WDWHeadBanger

Damn, I dont need any kind of warm up what so ever. As soon as our tires hit World Drive, I am psyched. Of course there is the unloading of all the stuff into the hotel. But I dont think I have ever been so motivated in my life. I am just willling to do everything so that we can get into the parks, restaurant or whatever. If its an odd years where we havent renewed our annual passes, then I just hop in the pool, go to oberervation deck of the Contemporary, or just ride around the monorail! 1st day is probably second or third best on the trip.

Since1976

Journey into Your Imagination at Epcot was one of my first WDW rides after decade-long gap between WDW trips, and it took a day to recover from that disaster!

My wife, a WDW first-timer, was unimpressed as well, and I struggled to convince her that the rest of WDW was not so poorly done. The creative drought (not to mention the wear and tear) the parks have endured was hard to ignore.

Not until ILLUMINATIONS did we really start to feel the magic.

Thankfully, our vacation only got better as we visited MGM, MK, and even Universal Studios (don't shoot me for saying the "U" word!).

Disney2002

Originally posted by Since1976
Journey into Your Imagination at Epcot was one of my first WDW rides after decade-long gap between WDW trips, and it took a day to recover from that disaster!

My wife, a WDW first-timer, was unimpressed as well, and I struggled to convince her that the rest of WDW was not so poorly done. The creative drought (not to mention the wear and tear) the parks have endured was hard to ignore.

Not until ILLUMINATIONS did we really start to feel the magic.

Thankfully, our vacation only got better as we visited MGM, MK, and even Universal Studios (don't shoot me for saying the "U" word!).

I agree that Illuminations also causes something to click. That show is just so amazing!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom