Do you correct people if you hear them getting things wrong about Disney?

sophie_the_pooh

I do tend to correct people, very nicely, but I've realized recently that most of them don't care and probably won't remember the correct answer. For example, a guy at work told me Disney just announced they were building a new Star Wars park... I corrected him, again very nicely, saying it was actually a new addition to an already existing park, but he just said :"Yeah, that's what I was saying..."

JohnD

While in Epcot I heard a father tell his family, "when we finish here we're going to go to Disney World". I just smiled....

I hear that all the time. MK is "Disney World". I might say, while in one of the other parks, "Actually, you're in Disney World right now. I think you mean the Magic Kingdom."

s8film40

I typically like others have said only do this when it's something that's going to make things worse for someone. I also word things as gently as possible sometimes just suggest that I "think" it might be something else for example. Most people don't take even the most gentle corrections very well especially cast members, but I fell it's even more important when they're giving out bad info. For the most part I really avoid it as much as possible.

Mystic

While in Epcot I heard a father tell his family, "when we finish here we're going to go to Disney World". I just smiled....

This is not an uncommon thing and I think it stems from the fact that in California it's "Disneyland" and "Disney's California Adventure". A lot of people think of Magic Kingdom as being WDW and the other parks as being stand alone parks.

Mystic

I will say this...The Best one I heard was during my trip in 2011 at Disneyland a guy said that they were heading to "Epcot Animal Studios" Which he was reffering to California Adventure...When you think about it...It makes sense...

It definitely makes sense since this park has a bit of the other three Florida parks in it. TOT & TSMM from HS, Bug's Land (Tough to be a Bug) from AK and Soarin (Epcot - although the one on DCA is the original)

DisneyFans4Life

I hear misinformation all the time, but I don't butt in and correct them. I feel it's not my place to correct someone. Now if I'm already in a conversation with someone and they bring up something that's not correct, I will correct them, but I would never butt in.

rucifee

This is the reason I don't recommend certain things I really like to most people, I don't want them to start getting too crowded.

You're absolutely right, I don't do this either. I might even recommend against something I don't want to start getting crowded. Where's the best place to stand for the fireworks? Right outside the exit has the best view. jk

WhatJaneSays

I'll just copy/paste from my earlier post:

I generally don't try to correct it unless there is a great enough reason. Typically only if there is going to be big disappointment (expecting to see Shamu at Animal Kingdom), it’s something damaging to Disney cast or property (yelling Andy’s coming), or it’s just kind of unlawful (guides on how to get free stuff by complaining).

DfromATX

I don't think you should correct people on trivial stuff. There's a girl in my office that likes to correct people on everything, especially grammar. She knows she does it. She knows it annoys everyone. She can't help it (she says). Bad grammar is really annoying, yes, but some things should be left alone. Needless to say, she is not the most popular person around the office. As for Disney, some people just don't go enough to know the difference between "Disney World in California" or "Disney World in Florida".... oye! And, I'll admit, it took us two trips before we even knew there was a ride in the big golf ball!!!!

DfromATX

I hear a lot of people do that... Epcot and Disney World.
I hear that all the time. MK is "Disney World". I might say, while in one of the other parks, "Actually, you're in Disney World right now. I think you mean the Magic Kingdom."

I hear that a lot too. Why is that? Any theories anyone? So MK was first, then Epcot, right?... maybe they are just remembering those days before HS and AK?

WDW Guru

I don't think its very common but I've heard people call Test Track "That NASCAR Ride" and that just es me off. But I've never corrected anybody.

JohnD

I hear a lot of people do that... Epcot and Disney World.

I hear that a lot too. Why is that? Any theories anyone? So MK was first, then Epcot, right?... maybe they are just remembering those days before HS and AK?

I think that is the most likely answer. For a time, going to Disney World only meant seeing the Magic Kingdom and staying either on or off property. You could just as well stay at a Howard Johnson's back in the 1970s or early 80s and go directly to the Magic Kingdom. In effect, go to Disney World. Now going to Disney World is about staying inside the bubble and going to all four parks and Disney Springs.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member

We just got back from WDW a few days ago and an older lady I know what asking me about the trip and asked some questions about the different parks. She told me that she went when WDW first opened and that back then the Magic Kingdom was Disney World. So I'm sure to some people especially the older folks the MK is Disney World, just like there are many people who refuse to call Hollywood Studios by anything other than MGM Studios or still call Disney Springs Downtown Disney. Sometimes it is just a matter of what things were called when they went.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom