Do we need Umbrellas?

ShellyT

Original Poster
Me again with another question :)

Do most of you take umbrellas into the park? Just wondering if it is something I should pick up. I know wal-mart sells those really small ones. Should we get a couple in addiction to the rain ponchos? We will be there in 6 days.

Thanks for any input.

Epcot82Guy

In my opinion, they are much more of a hassle than they are helpful. Most Florida rains are strong but short. Therefore, ponchos will be just fine. Actually, depending on the park, try and schedule a big, long, indoor attraction around 3:00 or so. If you check the forecast and try to stay in a predominantly indoor area of the park around the "scheduled" rain time, it shouldn't be a big deal. Some suggestions... The Land in Epcot or UoE, Tomorrowland in MK, walking under the TTA track as much as possible, and Indiana Jones/Star Tours in MGM.

Another option, if it start raining, go get a nice dinner at a table service restaurant. You may wait a bit, but this is actually HELPFUL at the point.

All this is the long way of saying take ponchos, not umbrellas, and just try to stay inside in the rain.

The_CEO

Small umbrellas are great to have with you in a park during a rainy day! You don't have to wear a trash bag around the park and feel hot, sticky, and wet!

Firewolfe51

No, no, no. No umbrellas. Didn't you read the thread about poncho users? You want to "fit in" with everyone else, don't you? Buy the poncho. Much less heavy and bulky. Tucks neatly into your backpack.

brich

No offense but I'm simply amazed at how much some of you bring into the park. Some of you should hire Sherpas. :lol:

MissM

The_CEO said:
Small umbrellas are great to have with you in a park during a rainy day! You don't have to wear a trash bag around the park and feel hot, sticky, and wet!
Exactly!

I have a small little umbrella and it works a million times better then a poncho. Ponchos are hot, nasty, they make you rude (as you push into people with your wet trash bag or as you sit and leave a puddle on the ride for the next person to deal with) and they are more hassle then it's worth. Love and I both just snuggle up under a small umbrella and we do great.

Just watch out for the flooding in MK. Especially Fantasyland.
-m

swimmom

Although the ponchos do get hot in warmer weather, they can also keep you warm in cooler weather. I myself prefer the poncho or neither in the summer during the brief afternoon shower.

They both have their pros & cons. Ponchos are like wearing wet plastic bags - Water runs off umbrellas onto people standing nearby - Ponchos & umbrellas both leave puddles of water everywhere they go - They both are something wet you have to put in a bag/backpack when you are done using them - And the the worst thing about umbrellas is that some people don't pay attention and poke other people with it.

ShellyT

Original Poster
LOL ok half of you say ponchos, other half say umbrellas. Now I don't know what to do? LOL!

Thanks for your input tho :)

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I like my Mickey golf umbrella - the one with the ears on top - it's entirely useless in a strong storm and totally not compact, but it's got Mickey ears sticking out of the top.

bigorangeandy

We do the poncho thing, or just run for cover, or get wet. I would pick either a umbrella, or poncho, but not both. At some point you just run out of room (or energy)to carry everything.

barnum42

Poncho fits neatly in the camera bag, and offers said bag more protection in a downpour. Less chance of poking someone's eye out with a poncho.

ritchie56

We do both. The ponchos are packed in a back back which we take when we expect rain. More coverage in a steady rain. But the back pack is heavy (five ponchos add up space and weight wise!) so on days it looks like it won't rain, or it will be only a shower, we leave the backpack at the hotel. I have the very small, uber lightweight umbrellas from Walmart and they all have a carrying case that has a loop on the end. They go on the waist pack belt (or the guys with cargo pants can stick them in a pocket). I don't even feel them, but we still have something in case we guessed wrong about the weather.

Good luck on your decision, for us, this is a hard one. The back pack is very annoying to carry!

hcswingfield

mousermerf said:
I like my Mickey golf umbrella - the one with the ears on top - it's entirely useless in a strong storm and totally not compact, but it's got Mickey ears sticking out of the top.

I love to use mine in Birmingham. Everyone who sees it smiles. Nice thing to do on a rainy day!

BTW, I think I found my "Mickey Ears" umbrella at the Beach Club resort gift shop, but I'm not positive. It was a couple of years ago.

wdwjmp239

Epcot82Guy said:
In my opinion, they are much more of a hassle than they are helpful. Most Florida rains are strong but short. Therefore, ponchos will be just fine. Actually, depending on the park, try and schedule a big, long, indoor attraction around 3:00 or so. If you check the forecast and try to stay in a predominantly indoor area of the park around the "scheduled" rain time, it shouldn't be a big deal. Some suggestions... The Land in Epcot or UoE, Tomorrowland in MK, walking under the TTA track as much as possible, and Indiana Jones/Star Tours in MGM.

Another option, if it start raining, go get a nice dinner at a table service restaurant. You may wait a bit, but this is actually HELPFUL at the point.

All this is the long way of saying take ponchos, not umbrellas, and just try to stay inside in the rain.

Excellent opinion! However, I would like to add that along with the short Florida afternoon rains, there's always a risk for lightning that accompany them. If you see the clouds start to thicken, lower, and get darker, then you may want to head back to your hotel and take an afternoon nap. I guarantee that when you wake up, the sun will be back out. :)

Next Weather Change: 30 mins. ;)

GrandFloridian1

brich said:
No offense but I'm simply amazed at how much some of you bring into the park. Some of you should hire Sherpas. :lol:

I agree 100%. You want to carry as little as possible. PONCHOS RULE!
By the way, Go Red Sox!

DisneyFanLS

I vote PONCHOS!!!

My wife and I still carry beige colored ponchos that we bought at Animal Kingdom about five years ago. They're different because they are beige colored (everyone else wears bright yellows) and they have Mickey with a pithe helmet on the back. They can make you sweat an AWFUL lot in the summer time. We usually go in the first part of September, and trust me there's a heavy (although brief) shower EVERY afternoon!!! They are the best $5.00 (each) investment we've ever made!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom