Do people think you're strange for loving Disney so much?

majorrfb

No comparison to Disney

My little sister (14) lectured me for an hour last night about how Six Flags New England is "just as good" as Walt Disney World. She's too old to be mystified by Princesses but not quite old enough to appreciate the theming, engineering, and art of something like PotC.

I live in Western Mass and remember Six Flags N.E. as The Riverside Park. It was a dump then and somewhat better now. Six Flags can in no way compare to WDW...... in any respect. We try to visit Disney at least once a year or more, if possible. I haven't been to Six Flags N.E. in at least a decade or more. Disney World is the apex of parks and EVERYTHING else wishes they were.

mergatroid

Original Poster
I believe there are two types of people in this world, those who get goosebumps and those who don't. For me, I sit on the bridge between France and England and become immersed....immersed in some feeling I can't explain while I watch the second half of Reflections of Earth that takes me to a place that movies, nor music have ever taken me. I have been lucky enough to travel this world pretty extensively. I Have seen, eaten, drank and experienced some pretty amazing things, but still nothing for me comes close to the magic of Disney... call it a longing for my childhood, or a fulfillment of some creative fantasy that I could never begin to imagine fabricating on my own, but that place is pure magic, and no person can ever take that away from me... It is as though it was made for me and me alone and I have the utmost respect for anyone mature enough to let their false ego get out of the way and let their true child like self emerge and love the magic like I do... you are amongst friends here....

Very well said.

lebeau

Very well put. I find those who don't 'get it' are those who haven't been, those who have tend to give you a knowing smile.

To answer the question in the title, yes. People think it's weird a guy my age likes WDW so much.

But I wanted to respond to this post. Because no one I know has ever given me a knowing smile about WDW. I know lots of people who went and hated it. In fact, most people I know only go because they feel obligated to "take the kids" and are very relieved when they never have to do it again.

That's why I come here. To speak with like-minded folk who love Disney World as much (or sometimes more) than I do.

mergatroid

Original Poster
To answer the question in the title, yes. People think it's weird a guy my age likes WDW so much.

But I wanted to respond to this post. Because no one I know has ever given me a knowing smile about WDW. I know lots of people who went and hated it. In fact, most people I know only go because they feel obligated to "take the kids" and are very relieved when they never have to do it again.

That's why I come here. To speak with like-minded folk who love Disney World as much (or sometimes more) than I do.

That's ok my friend. With me living in England perhaps I don't meet as many people who have been as you do? I can honestly say out of about 10 people I've spoken to, only one wasn't interested in returning through lack of enjoyment. Nearly every one comments on the breathtaking sight of the castle as you enter the MK and the night time shows always get a mention. Admittedly only one other goes as often as I do, but I would say the majority who go 'get it' and can sort of see why I love it and that it's not just a fun fair as many believe.

WishIwasThere

Yes...yes they do. Including my wife. She likes WDW but thinks I go overboard in planning the visits (though she doesn't complain when we hit no crowds in the parks and sit down almost immediately with our ADR's) and wonders why I need to visit sites like WDWMagic almost every day (need my Disney news fix), and only really want to go to WDW for vacation, and have a lifelong goal to retire to FL to go work at WDW one day (15 more years + or - a few months).

lebeau

That's ok my friend. With me living in England perhaps I don't meet as many people who have been as you do? I can honestly say out of about 10 people I've spoken to, only one wasn't interested in returning through lack of enjoyment. Nearly every one comments on the breathtaking sight of the castle as you enter the MK and the night time shows always get a mention. Admittedly only one other goes as often as I do, but I would say the majority who go 'get it' and can sort of see why I love it and that it's not just a fun fair as many believe.

Now I want to move to England!

Pooh Lover

Absolutely! No one I know "gets it" like we (here) do. My mother is a fan and my sister loves Disney, but for financial reasons, they do not get to go often and I try not to bring it up. My husband goes along to get along every year, but doesn't partake in any of the anticipation, planning or small talk that, for me, is half the trip. Everyone I work with considers Disney only slightly better than a state fair (none have been), so not only do I keep quiet there, I'm careful who I share my Disney secret with. Very sad! Thank goodness for these boards to get my Disney fix.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom