Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Tip

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

YangGang2020

Original Poster
I'm wondering if it is common for people to not tip when they are on the DDP?
My family and I used to go every year until 5 years ago when we switched it up. Disney every year was getting a little expensive. Back then we always tipped 15-20% even if it was tough to swallow.
I joined a facebook group that teaches people how to save at Disney while still living it up. There are about 40 people in the group that go roughly every year, and their biggest saving tip is to not tip or "tip sparingly" with the DDP TS. They say that it is so uncommon that the waiters and waitresses aren't really missing out, and since it's not a place you dine frequently, there is no chance of them recognizing you next time.
We are really considering doing the premium dining plan because we can save so much with either a small tip or no tip at all. We could also try some amazing and expensive places we would otherwise never get a chance to dine at. Does anyone here practice this or know people who do? I know many will think it's morally wrong, but i think service workers should be paid a living wage, and until they are maybe we should take advantage of the savings. Eventually these places will have to start paying people properly. A secret poll might get us some real answers too!

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Jon81uk

In the USA it is normal to tip at least 15% if the service is fine and 18-20% for good service, even more if it is fantastic. Sorry but if you can't afford to add at least 15% on top of the meal price, don't go to those places.
Unless the restaurant advertises that they don't accept tips as they offer a significantly higher wage, you should follow the norms and tip.
If you can't afford to use the premium dining plan AND tip, then choose a plan that involves less table service dining.

(I agree that the American wage system is messed up, but you choosing not to tip won't do anything to help fix it, its up to restaurateurs and law-makers to change the system).

Oh and this Facebook group you mention sound like a right bunch of selfish cheapskates.

Last edited:

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
This is always a question from our out of country visitors. Very simple and quick, you tip based on your servers' performance unless the gratuity is included (meals like Cinderella's Royal Table, Hoop De Do, etc). We really don't care how you do it wherever you come from, its how we do it here and you are a guest.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
You tip 15% if the service is bad to just ok, 20% if the service is good, and > 20% if the service was great. Pre-paying for the meal is irrelevant. The tip is based on what that meal would have actually cost. If it's discounted, add the discounted amount back and that is the price you base your tip on.

The people who are cheating Disney waiters and waitresses out of their tips should be banned from both Disney World and the Internet. Shoot, just ban them from everything because they're terrible people.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I'm wondering if it is common for people to not tip when they are on the DDP?
My family and I used to go every year until 5 years ago when we switched it up. Disney every year was getting a little expensive. Back then we always tipped 15-20% even if it was tough to swallow.
I joined a facebook group that teaches people how to save at Disney while still living it up. There are about 40 people in the group that go roughly every year, and their biggest saving tip is to not tip or "tip sparingly" with the DDP TS. They say that it is so uncommon that the waiters and waitresses aren't really missing out, and since it's not a place you dine frequently, there is no chance of them recognizing you next time.
We are really considering doing the premium dining plan because we can save so much with either a small tip or no tip at all. We could also try some amazing and expensive places we would otherwise never get a chance to dine at. Does anyone here practice this or know people who do? I know many will think it's morally wrong, but i think service workers should be paid a living wage, and until they are maybe we should take advantage of the savings. Eventually these places will have to start paying people properly. A secret poll might get us some real answers too!

Thanks for the responses everyone!
Do you have a link to this Facebook group? Yelling at strangers on the internet is my favorite.

unmitigated disaster

Can you imagine doing this and people that crappy of a person?
Yes I can. We had a conference here at my hotel where every participant got a daily voucher - $10 - for breakfast but they were responsible for gratuities. Almost all the conference - goers argued over a $2.00 daily tip at check out. And this was a conference of people in jobs that easily makes 6 figures! I got to the point where instead of retreading the whole "you are responsible for all gratuities" spiel I just starting telling them " it's in your contract. I'm not waiving it".

YangGang2020

Original Poster
Do you have a link to this Facebook group? Yelling at strangers on the internet is my favorite.

It's a private Facebook group and I'm not going to let them get harassed by a self admitted internet bully.
This is real people. If other people are out there taking advantage of a flawed system then why should I sit back like a fool and stick to mostly cheaper meals? Who knows how much longer we have before they start jacking up prices to pay their workers better. Then I'd likely never get a chance at a fine dining meal.

Hockey89

It's a private Facebook group and I'm not going to let them get harassed by a self admitted internet bully.
This is real people. If other people are out there taking advantage of a flawed system then why should I sit back like a fool and stick to mostly cheaper meals? Who knows how much longer we have before they start jacking up prices to pay their workers better. Then I'd likely never get a chance at a fine dining meal.
By bully you mean people that don't want to screw hard working waiters so you can be cheap....

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
It's not really a flawed system though, is it? It's not like you are sneaking one past old man Disney. You are literally taking money out of a regular persons pocket. A regular person, FWIW, who probably can't afford the vacation you are on, or the meal you are eating. You are selfishly taking money away from someone less fortunate then yourself. NICE!

ppet

You tip 15% if the service is bad to just ok, 20% if the service is good, and > 20% if the service was great. Pre-paying for the meal is irrelevant. The tip is based on what that meal would have actually cost. If it's discounted, add the discounted amount back and that is the price you base your tip on.

The people who are cheating Disney waiters and waitresses out of their tips should be banned from both Disney World and the Internet. Shoot, just ban them from everything because they're terrible people.
Have to disagree with part of your post, A tip for bland ok service is 15%. It can move up or down depending on level of service. For really good service I'll move up to 20 to 25%, for poor service it goes down. Granted I very seldom experience poor service so I normally stay in the 15 to 20% range. You also don't want to penalize the server for bad food or other things outside of their control. Many issues are management or chefs.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Have to disagree with part of your post, A tip for bland ok service is 15%. It can move up or down depending on level of service. For really good service I'll move up to 20 to 25%, for poor service it goes down. Granted I very seldom experience poor service so I normally stay in the 15 to 20% range. You also don't want to penalize the server for bad food or other things outside of their control. Many issues are management or chefs.

I'll even tip mediocre to slightly better than no service at or above 15%, it has to be really bad before it goes lower or there's no tip. I can count on one hand the times I have not tipped at all and on two hands the number of times I've tipped less than 20% in the last 50+ years. I normally even bump the 18% automatic tip to 20% or above even though I strongly disagree with automatic tips.

JIMINYCR

If I belonged to a group that was giving advice as bad as that I'd question other tips they were giving. Stiffing your server is almost as bad as walking out on your bill. I consider it taking money out of their pocket that they have earned. We tip 20% and better if the server is going above and beyond making our dining experience better. When we plan our vacation I am figuring in tips as part of what I'm spending. If you are that cheap that you need to hold back on tipping, then you should find other ways to afford the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom