Do FastPasses create longer waits or do they not have any affect at all?

Do FastPasses create longer waits or do they not have any affect at all?

• Total voters

spock8113

IMHO, it makes the regular "steerage passengers" lines longer. Of course with the new Delta variant spreading like wildfire for those unvaccinated, you probably want to Fast Pass anyway.

JusticeDisney

But there will be more people in the Standby lines, eliminating any decrease in wait times possible by eliminating FP+. If 4-7FP+ to every Standby person, your wait time could theoretically increase 5x to 7x…
I get your point, but there’s a lot of speculation there. For example, people who would otherwise do FP for a particular attraction, might not simply get in the standby line. Maybe, because of how much longer the standby line appears to be, some people would just go to a different attraction altogether. Anyway, like I said, I totally get what you’re saying and it’s certainly something to consider.

el_super

With FP+, you can experience more in the parks increasing your satisfaction.

The RPC numbers haven't really changed much from the 1970s (although they may have gone down), so this isn't really true.

The FP's do not make the lines longer. Done. End of story. If you refuse to see the facts then I cannot help you there. There have been actual studies done (like the TP one) that show that they do not increase the line to any significant amount.

Touring Plans weren't around before Fastpass were they? How could they have done an accurate study?

Raineman

I'm sure we can all agree that FP, ADRs (and currently park reservations) have reduced the spontaneity and increased the planning involved in a visit to a WDW park. If they institute virtual passes for most/all of the attractions, the planning element would be massive, and to many people, would stop them from wanting to visit.

Djsfantasi

I'm sure we can all agree that FP, ADRs (and currently park reservations) have reduced the spontaneity and increased the planning involved in a visit to a WDW park. If they institute virtual passes for most/all of the attractions, the planning element would be massive, and to many people, would stop them from wanting to visit.

I disagree. FP+ has increased the spontaneity for me. And “massive planning”? You must have trouble planning your days even at home. Plan for three activities and even if they are one after another, there’s plenty of time in between to be spontaneous. Because of FP+, I’ve done things at WDW that I might not have otherwise.

Follow some simple guidelines for your fast passes, and you’ll have plenty of time to do what you feel like in the moment.

PaulZ

FP+ makes it longer because people with the 3 do fast passes for stuff that never really needed it before. We never fast passed Pirates until FP+.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
FP+ makes it longer because people with the 3 do fast passes for stuff that never really needed it before. We never fast passed Pirates until FP+.
I don't fast pass pirates now. Well, pre-covid when fast passes actually existed.

And once again, no, fast passes did not increase standby lines by any significant amount. It just seemed that way to those standing in the standby lines watching people walk past them with fast passes. I've said it before, the part of your brain that makes time fly when you're having fun and slow down when you're bored is the same thing that causes you to think that fast passes make the standby line longer. It doesn't increase them to any significant amount.

RollerCoaster

The FP's do not make the lines longer. Done. End of story. If you refuse to see the facts then I cannot help you there. There have been actual studies done (like the TP one) that show that they do not increase the line to any significant amount.
You haven't presented any facts to back up your argument and yet you're saying "done" and "end of story".

If you want to make a case that they don't make lines longer then go for it, but until you do don't shut the conversation down.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
You haven't presented any facts to back up your argument and yet you're saying "done" and "end of story".

If you want to make a case that they don't make lines longer then go for it, but until you do don't shut the conversation down.
#1, I didn't shut the conversation down. You're still allowed to talk. You're welcome.

#2, I'm sick and tired of posting the touring plans link. I'm not going to argue about it. The only reason I even started this thread was because people were taking over another fastpass conversation with how it made stand by times longer. I got tired of seeing the myth conversations taking place and derailing a thread. So discuss how you interpret the lines being longer at your leisure. You have my permission. 😉👍

Raineman

I disagree. FP+ has increased the spontaneity for me. And “massive planning”? You must have trouble planning your days even at home. Plan for three activities and even if they are one after another, there’s plenty of time in between to be spontaneous. Because of FP+, I’ve done things at WDW that I might not have otherwise.

Follow some simple guidelines for your fast passes, and you’ll have plenty of time to do what you feel like in the moment.
If they instituted virtual queues for every attraction, then it would involve alot of planning-I didn't say that the current FP system required "massive" planning. And thanks for the passive aggressive statement about my planning abilities-I am a planner by nature, but I do so much of it at home and work, it would be nice to not have to do it so much while on vacation, but we still always plan our FPs and ADRs, because it's part of the system and we know we wouldn't always be able to eat where we want and avoid long lines on our favourite attractions if we didn't. Gone are the days where you buy a park ticket, and decide what attractions you want to do and where you want to eat after you get there-that's what I meant by less spontaneity.

MurphyJoe

Trying to dig up actual statistics on how waits have changed from standby only to FP to FP+, and while not finding anything on standby to FP, I am finding things on FP to FP+.

The short version is most attractions saw their wait time go down, but other popular attractions had their wait times go up.

There's also this article from the testing phase of FP+ with comments which wouldn't seem out of place in the thread about FP+'s replacement.

Also, estimates of MK visitors per year since 2009.

While I'm not willing to say the FP program doesn't increase lines in general, adding an average of 10,000ish guests per day in 2019 (compared to 2009) certainly does increase line length. One attraction listing for MK (https://crooksinwdw.wordpress.com/2013/12/14/theoreticaloperational-hourly-ride-capacity-at-wdw/) has the OHRC at 24,885. So the visitor increase between 2009-2019 is taking up about 40% of those lines listed at the link.

Anyone read This? "

Disneyland Paris Adds Premier Access (FastPass) – Is Disney World Next?"​

Paris visitors will have to pay for Premier Access (read fastpass) between 8-16 Euros per person, per attraction, per ride/experience.

Trackmaster

I think that a better way of putting it is that it gives you more options and more control over your day. Yeah, it might not necessarily increase your production total, but having Fast Pass means that you can occupy yourself with other things at the park, and have the major rides waiting for you. There are also people who only really want to ride a few rides, so it works well for them. And, its potentially a good way of telling you "Hey dude, this park is going to be busy, there's no Fast Passes, it won't work out, stay home and chill and instead of wasting your day in lines all day." When you have Fast Pass available, the idea is that you're supposed to be riding on Fast Pass, not stand-by. Stand-by is a last resort, its not the intended way to ride. Stand-by is really just for when demand is low and they need guests to fill every seat because why not? When a ride is popular and you can't get the Fast Pass, you do something else (but let's face it, if you know how to go to Disney, there are ways to make sure you always get your Fast Pass hehehe).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom