DLR Trip Report !!!

bigkevvo

Original Poster
Hi All

I recently posted a thread asking you guys for some help and advice on what not to miss on my recent trip from the UK to the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim - you gave me some great tips so I thought I'd let you know how I got on!

First day in the park was Saturday 15th Sept - early entry pass at the ready! Nemo queue was already 90 minutes !!! We left that for our visit in the week - much quieter!

The first thing that hits you is Main Street - smaller than the other Main Streets but had a very nostalgic feel to it. I like it.

We hit the Matterhorn, Buzz, Star Tours, Pirates, Big Thunder Mountain,Splash Mountain and Indiana within the first couple of hours of our visit - Space Mountain was down in the morning, but we got to it just as it reopened so had very little queuing to do! And I agree with Nicole - Space Mountain does blow MKs out of the water - I love the soundtrack on that ride. I have to say though, Paris's version is still my favourite. Pirates was great, and I have to say my fave of all the Pirates versions, there's something about that guitar player in the first scene that makes my hairs stand on end! I loved Indiana, similar ride vehicles to Dinosaur at AK, but better utilised - the boulder coming at you is a great effect!

As the afternoon was so busy we saw the earlier parade - which is the best daytime parade that Disney have created - we hopped on over to DCA.

Now I like California Adventure but there's so much going on with the themeing! Maybe a litle too much? They could have created and entire park based on movies, or the Paradise Pier theme, instead they opted for a mix. Don't get me wrong, I love the park but did feel that there is such a lot going on!

Nicole commented that the Californian version of ToT was her favourite - and I have to agree! With Florida, once the elevator has gone for its 'wander' through the hotel, you know what's coming - with California, once you have watched the scene from the elevator, you have no idea what's gonna happen next - the element of surprise is just that little bit better!

I like Monsters Inc, some great effects in there, watched the Muppets, which I somehow feel are out-of-date in both parks - it needs upgrading ot a 4D version in my opinion. Aladdin is fantastic - well worth seeing - great effects and the genie is hilarious!

One of my favourite rides has to be California Screaming! Again, a great soundtrack and it just keeps you smiling, laughing - and screaming! - all the way around.

Did the Maliboomer - I felt that was a little disappointing - and the Sunshine Wheel - I loved that but the other people with me felt sick!! Oh well! Grizzly River Rapids were also fantastic - much better than Kali at AK and a definate must do! And of course Soarin' - so good!

Even though it was a Saturday CA was surprisingly quiet. Around 8pm we headed back on over to DLP to set out a spot for the fireworks - everyone was already camped out but we managed to get a good spot a little off centre in front of the castle. And what can I say - this show is amazing - I have watched with anticipation every fireworks show in every Disney park to see them create the Mickey Ears in the sky - AND THEY DID IT HERE!!! The show is amazing and ranks as one of my favourites. We took your advice on the following week Nicole and got right in front of the castle by the compass 2 hours early to see them again - wow!

We then dashed over to Fantasmic, Cast Members held everyone back to try and clear the area from the first show, and so we managed to get a great spot again a little off centre but right at the front. I think it's fair to say that i loved this show as much as MGMs - I just love Fantasmic!

We were then out of Disney until the following Thursday 20th and Friday 21st - Thursday was really quiet and we managed to hit everything - Nemo subs are great and well worth the wait! We covered the rest of Fantasyland this day too - I love all those rides! Alice and Mr Toad are great! We didn;t managed to see the Haunted Mansion until Friday due to its update to Haloween - there was only half an hours queue at around 2pm which was great! I loved the overlay but have to admit I did miss having the orignal version.

And so on the Friday I did the 'Walk In Walt's Footsteps' Tour. Now I should tell you that I am a little bit of a Walt fan and so I have done a lot of reading about the guy before this tour. Even so, I was expecting to be told anecdotes about Walt and was looking forward to eating a lunch that Walt would have eaten and the prospect of riding in the Lilly Belle train carriage. I have to admit, the whole tour let me down, I was told nothing new about Walt, lunch has changed to a selection of Sandwiches rather than Walt's favourite of Chilli and a Cheesecake dessert, we didn't ride the whole circuit on the Disneyland Railroad and the only really fun 'behind the scenes' bit was
Club 33. It may be due to my own knowledge on Walt that I didn't enjoy the tour so much because I know so much already and I guess for someone new to Disneyland who wants to get a better understaning of the man behind it all would get a lot out of it - just not for me.

But overall I love Disneyland - very different from WDW and DLRP but has a great nostalgic feel to it all. It is after all the only park that Walt oversaw and it has his special touches all around the park. I would go back tomorrow!

Nicole and CThaddeus you are so lucky to be so near to so much magic!

If anyone wants to know anything else, ask away!

Hope this helps for anyone thinking of visiting

Kev :wave:

mouselvrmom

Thanks for the report! I'm glad you had a good trip. It's great to read a report from dl, it's something different that you don't get everyday.

Nicole220

Thank you so much for the trip report! I'm glad you had a great time and I'm glad my suggestions were helpful!

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that likes DCA's ToT better than MGM's. :lol:

We probably passed each other on Thursday the 20th. I was in the park from 3:00 - closing.

primetime52

How were the crowds on Friday (don't think you mentioned that)? Just wondering because when I go to DLR in November I will be in the parks on a Friday and Saturday.

Nicole220

How were the crowds on Friday (don't think you mentioned that)? Just wondering because when I go to DLR in November I will be in the parks on a Friday and Saturday.
If Kev doesn't come on, I'll let you know. I'm going to the parks tomorrow. :wave:

It's been pretty empty in the late afternoons - evening when I've been going.

Nicole220

I went today and the crowds were fine. The longest wait I saw was 30 minutes. And today, the Tustin school district didn't have school, so it was a bit more crowded than usual.

primetime52

I went today and the crowds were fine. The longest wait I saw was 30 minutes. And today, the Tustin school district didn't have school, so it was a bit more crowded than usual.

Thanks for the info! I'm hoping we get alot done on the Friday that we are there since I'm sure that Saturday will be way more crowded.

kubfish

Awesome report Kev..

Did you get to watch the "remember" fireworks show and if so what did you think? My personal favorite of all Disney fireworks shows.

Indy ride is so awesome, one of my favorite all time DL rides.

And I feel the same as you about DCA. Its like WDW MGM/theme park / AK combined. Lots going on but its a better park then people give it credit for and we have never had crowd problems going to that park.

Oh and you didn't say anything about ToonTown - Roger rabbit?

DL you can definitely feel the Walt touch, its like he is there over looking things.

kubfish

I would also say you dont really need a crazy strategy to tour DL or DCA like you do WDW. Use FP's to your advantage then at DCA if a wait is long just come back later - almost all tickets are Park Hoppers so most people leave for the DL evening parade/fireworks, you will have an empty park at DCA.

Soarin would probably be the ride to wait until evening for. Of course Scream'n at night is just awesome, but line wait wise....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom