DLP Coasters

Amidala

Original Poster
I'll be at DLP for two days during the first week of August. This will be my first visit to a resort outside the states, so I'm super excited to explore! But I'm a little particular about thrill rides (some scare me, others-like Expedition Everest-are fine) and wanted to get some opinions on the intensity of the coasters, and which are worth braving for cool queue areas, themed elements, etc. I've ridden RnR (at DHS) a few times and hate that launch (the speed and inversions don't bother me) so I probably won't be tempted by the WDSP version unless it's substantially different from the one at WDW.

I'm a little wary of Hyperspace Mountain since it seems to have a launch similar to RnR, but the Wiki says it's slower by a good few miles. I guess I'm mostly just wondering if Hyperspace (and the launch especially) is on the same level of intensity as RnR. Temple of Peril looks like a lift hill and seems pretty slow for a looping coaster (under 40mph? not sure if this is accurate) so I'm assuming I would be okay on it. But I've heard the theming is very bare bones and that the ride draws long wait times, so I'm not sure if it's even worth a ride in the first place.

Any advice on this would be appreciated, and thanks for bearing with me on some kind of silly questions

cosmicgirl

BTM is more intense than in the US parks, but it's awesome (including the queue). Don't miss it.

RnR has a very similar track (if not the same) but the theming is different: it's with spotlights inside instead of the signs/icons. This one is closing at the end of Summer so if you want to try it, this will be your last chance. There are 5 different trains with 5 different soundtracks.

The Hyper part of SM is a flop but the ride itself is good. It does have a launch that's different from the RnR one. You start off with a slow turn to get out of the station and a small dip to get you in the right position for launch. At the top of the launch you slow down a bit to go inside the mountain. The launch feels slower and shorter than RnR but imo there is more of a build-up, so it may be scarier to you. That said, as it's the only one of its kind in the world I feel it's a must. Theming wise there's not much left of its de la Terre à la Lune glory days on the inside but the new seats are very comfortable.

Indy is obviously not on BTM's level but I've always enjoyed its theming. It can be a bit painful to ride, but it's short. It's more about turns than speed. It's skipable if you're not up for it but the view from the top is nice.

JillC LI

I felt like both BTMRR and RNRC were more intense in Paris than WDW, but I was able to tolerate both despite being a rollercoaster chicken. Hyperspace was closed when we were there.

Amidala

Original Poster
BTM is more intense than in the US parks, but it's awesome (including the queue). Don't miss it.

RnR has a very similar track (if not the same) but the theming is different: it's with spotlights inside instead of the signs/icons. This one is closing at the end of Summer so if you want to try it, this will be your last chance. There are 5 different trains with 5 different soundtracks.

The Hyper part of SM is a flop but the ride itself is good. It does have a launch that's different from the RnR one. You start off with a slow turn to get out of the station and a small dip to get you in the right position for launch. At the top of the launch you slow down a bit to go inside the mountain. The launch feels slower and shorter than RnR but imo there is more of a build-up, so it may be scarier to you. That said, as it's the only one of its kind in the world I feel it's a must. Theming wise there's not much left of its de la Terre à la Lune glory days on the inside but the new seats are very comfortable.

Indy is obviously not on BTM's level but I've always enjoyed its theming. It can be a bit painful to ride, but it's short. It's more about turns than speed. It's skipable if you're not up for it but the view from the top is nice.

This is super informative, thank you so much! If the launch itself feels even a little bit less intense than DHS's RnR maybe I could handle it. Nothing else bothers me, just that part, haha

I think Paris's version of space is more intense than RNC (though not the launch). The other coasters are probably comparable.

If the launch does feel slower, I could handle the rest of the coaster being more intense, but we'll see! Thanks

I felt like both BTMRR and RNRC were more intense in Paris than WDW, but I was able to tolerate both despite being a rollercoaster chicken. Hyperspace was closed when we were there.

BTMRR being more intense is surprising to me! I'm not too worried about that though, since I'm assuming there's no launch. Interesting to hear though, would you compare it to something like Everest?

cosmicgirl

This is super informative, thank you so much! If the launch itself feels even a little bit less intense than DHS's RnR maybe I could handle it. Nothing else bothers me, just that part, haha

If the launch does feel slower, I could handle the rest of the coaster being more intense, but we'll see! Thanks

BTMRR being more intense is surprising to me! I'm not too worried about that though, since I'm assuming there's no launch. Interesting to hear though, would you compare it to something like Everest?
SM's launch will feel different depending on where you are in the train. You could watch a POV video on YT if you want to know what it's like. If you don't want spoilers then just go for it! In the worst case you hate it for 2 seconds and enjoy the rest of the ride.

BTM is not quite as intense as Everest, but without giving anything away I'll say that it's unlike any others in the world. There's a lift hill but no launch.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Apologies if this sounds much like the others who have posts. 😃

BTM is absolutely a must-do, arguably our favorite coaster at DLP. Space is good, worth the time. It’s different enough from other versions to make it memorable (including the inversion!). RnRC is basically the same as the Florida version. The theming at Indy is great, but the ride is nothing special. It’s good, but I agree that it’s one you can skip if necessary. Crush’s Coaster was great, I thought, but the lines get long very quickly.

JillC LI

Definitely not like Everest. I hate Everest because I can't stand drops, but I enjoy the speed and swirls of RNRC. I could've sworn there was a launch in Paris but maybe I'm remembering that wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom