DL vs WDW wait times

@DisneyBryan

Original Poster
So I have been monitoring crowd levels/wait times through the apps for DL (and WDW Parks) for the past 2 weeks....I was always under the impression the DL has historically been the busiest/most crowded park based on its relatively smaller size and lean towards day visitors not week long vacationers. (I know that MK is still Disney and the Worlds busiest theme park). But lines at DL are downright minimal compared to WDW...very few attractions have been over a 20 min wait at either DL or DCA. Can you guys help me out here with some insight....is it the weather being slightly better this one of year (or is it just time of year) at WDW, more promotional fares in FL than CA, more staffing and open hours cuz it’s in Burbank’s backyard, what gives?! Thanks!

bhg469

So I have been monitoring crowd levels/wait times through the apps for DL (and WDW Parks) for the past 2 weeks....I was always under the impression the DL has historically been the busiest/most crowded park based on its relatively smaller size and lean towards day visitors not week long vacationers. (I know that MK is still Disney and the Worlds busiest theme park). But lines at DL are downright minimal compared to WDW...very few attractions have been over a 20 min wait at either DL or DCA. Can you guys help me out here with some insight....is it the weather being slightly better this one of year (or is it just time of year) at WDW, more promotional fares in FL than CA, more staffing and open hours cuz it’s in Burbank’s backyard, what gives?! Thanks!
Maybe its related to the touring plans recent discovery that WDW may be cutting back staff during slower times, in turn making longer wait times.

DL seemed like longer wait times when I was there but most of their queues are outdoors, making it a bit worse.

Mellyberm

I think it just varies...and some crowd factors are similar to WDW (busier during weekends and kids’ school breaks, holidays). Many Schools near DLR are on a year-round schedule so kids are out or a month at a time. It’s just a little different. WDW has made a few more major improvements in the past decade than DLR besides Carsland, so those areas are just packed. Tues, Wed, Thur are great at either Coast imo

If you are planning a trip check out disneylanddaily.com. That’s my favorite planning site for Disneyland. And get MaxPass, it’s awesome! It works similarly to Fastpass+, except you can’t reserve Fastpasses. MaxPass reduced our wait times dramatically!

EricsBiscuit

I generally find that I can do much more in one day at DL because A. That park is like mostly rides and B. I can leverage the FP system there much better because of instead of only getting 3 good FPs, you can get many more.

SeaCastle

It's hard to do an apples to apples comparison on wait times for just a two week period. I don't have any data to back this up except anecdotes but my impression is that the Disneyland parks have so many rides/attractions per square foot that guests are just absorbed more easily. Also, most DL rides don't (or didn't) have Fastpass, so you wind up with a small single line for each ride, unlike WDW where you will typically have two massive lines per ride.

Let's use fake numbers- If a DL dark ride has 60 linear feet of queue and you have two people standing per linear foot and four-person capacity vehicles are dispatched every 30 seconds, it'll take 15 minutes for the last person in line to get on a vehicle. But figure at WDW for the same ride capacity you have two lines (one FP and one not) and both queues are lengthier because WDW has larger parks on a per square foot basis. Without accounting for the ratio of FP to standby guests, the fact that you have longer lines and more queue space means that as a WDW guest, all else being equal, you're probably more likely to spend more time in line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom