Disposing of old bands

Figaro928

Original Poster
All our MBs from September have been taking up valuable drawer space and now I got Spring Cleaning fever...
We are not planning on going for at least another year (And even if, they give you new ones anyway, right?)

I already took a magnet to them. (MRI Tech) So I would assume they're wiped, but how is everyone disposing of theirs? Is there a safe way? Proper way?

Disneydreamer23

I can't believe your tossing them ha ha Put them on AMAZON or EBAY get a couple bucks for em, why not right? Some one I know from Work sold theirs for I think 15.00? Even for 5 bucks why the heck not.? I thought that they were asking that you use the same magic bands as before? Don't you only get a certain amount?

JohnD

I have one no longer associated with my MDE account (long story) but haven't done anything with it yet. The only thing I can think of is to take a sharp pair of scissors to it and cut it up, especially right up the center of the chip.

cspencer96

Lovely:arghh:...So now what? do I just throw them in the attic for ever and ever? What is everyone else doing with theirs?
Store them. Deactivate them on your MDE account. Honestly, there's no reason to try to wipe the data if you did want to throw them away anyhow - they don't store anything remotely sensitive. But if you do dispose of them, call MDE Tech Support and have them hide the Band IDs from your account - cuts down the clutter there, too, and is the true way to prevent anyone from being able to use it. Have fun spring cleaning!

Figaro928

Original Poster
Store them. Deactivate them on your MDE account. Honestly, there's no reason to try to wipe the data if you did want to throw them away anyhow - they don't store anything remotely sensitive. But if you do dispose of them, call MDE Tech Support and have them hide the Band IDs from your account - cuts down the clutter there, too, and is the true way to prevent anyone from being able to use it. Have fun spring cleaning!
Thanks so much. I'm not one of those super-paranoid big brother people, but I'd also of course rather be safe than sorry. Thank you everyone for the info!

cw1982

I was thinking I would just use mine as a souvenir of sorts... of course, it'll probably get thrown in a junk drawer somewhere, but at least it'll make me smile when I see it. I'm sort of a pack rat though.

docdebbi

Just FYI...a magnetic filed will do nothing to an RFID chip as the data is not magnetically encoded.

http://www.spychips.com/faqs.html

you are so right, even with things that you think might not work after strong magnets.

say I accidentally took my cell phone through the MRI machine with me last month, shouldn't work anymore should it?
surprise, still works like a charm. and they said to take it off - ha
I ain't afraid no magnet!

MeandMickey

Here is an idea we came up with on our trip this past weekend. Attach them all together and make a belt. When you go again and walk through the gates you won't have to even stop to touch your wrist to the RFID reader. It will just glow green and you can be on your way. :p

Rob562

Here is an idea we came up with on our trip this past weekend. Attach them all together and make a belt. When you go again and walk through the gates you won't have to even stop to touch your wrist to the RFID reader. It will just glow green and you can be on your way. :p

Something tells me that won't quite work... :bored:

-Rob

habuma

Well, if you have the Disney Infinity video game, the Magic Band unlocks a dragon in the game. That's at least one thing you can do with them after their in-park use is no longer needed.

disney4life2008

I love all the nonsense hate over a dang MB. It's not costing you extra. Its just the new way Disney provides you access to your tickets. GET OVER THE BS.

Neexxxtttttttt, lol. I can hate all I want :)

And as others have mentioned- the cost is included in the price of the room - so when the room prices go up - yes it is costing me.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom