disposable cameras

MattsCath

I don't want to lug around my heavy, expensive, manual camera...
so I've decided to take pics with disposables... I was wondering how disposable cameras do at night with pics of fireworks and such... should I get the kind with flash ... should I just get a cheapo camera that I can change the film in? Any suggestions are helpful. I've taken photo classes so the clicking shouldn't be a problem! :lol:

lilkitty819

Why don't you just go out and buy one of those 35mm cheap kits...they run around 20-30 dollars..Then you can buy a better speed of film to take night pictures with.....Have fun:wave:

Upvote 0

BoBa BoI

I use both disposable and indisposable cameras. I always have my digital Sony Cybershot handy, because there's nothing better than not having to pay for film and waiting for some of the more personal shots. also, there is no photo i can't fix with photoshop, and having direct digital rather than a scanner makes it alot easier. I have one of the more older Cybershots that don't readily fit in yoor pocket, but i feel that its worth it because the LCD display is much bigger and posable (meaning i can flip the LCD screen around and take pictures of myself or use it to spy around corners and all that fun stuff). the cybershots also come with a short movie taking option, so i can film short messages or little clips i can put together in a video editor. Its nothing great, the movie feature is really secondary to the greater purpose. anyways... For more artistic shots, i reach for my manual. Using a manual camera is more challenging in some respects, and i feel its more fun than digital. Not to say that digital isn't better, there are alot of things i can't do with the manual than with the digital and vise-versa, their just different, i like them both. My disposable camera, however, does all the dirty work. It takes me twice the time to prep a shot on the manual and digital rather than the disposable. Afterall its just point and click. No need to adjust f-stop, digital exposure, zoom, or flash. But the most important use of the disposable camera... getting those shots from risky positions and places in the parks. There's no way i'm going to pull out my digi cam or my manual on the top of some ride, because the view is spectacular. There's too much of a chance that i can hurt myself, others, and most importantly my camera. With a disposable, i can just hold it in my palm and aim kind of blindly at things. eventhough it is somewhat of a gamble, surprisingly, its rare for take a misshot with the disposable.

Still, yooh guys are rite... The extremes of light can ruin any shot, disposable or not. It could take a lot of equipment to get the lighting absolutely perfect when things are too dark or too bright. It depends on how satisfied yooh are with yoor picture. Most of the shots i take on disposable are just for lil reminders for the memory. If they come out too dim or too light, i won't mind too much, even if i can't fix most of it on photoshop. And of course, i'm not going to be able to do most camera tricks with a disposable, it just too much work to even try. So that's why i bring all three of types of my still cameras. Some mite say its too much work to lug around 3 different cameras. But my disposable can fit easily in any bag or pocket, the digital is not at all heavy(if i'm wearing big pants, as i always do, it can also fit in my pocket), and the manual just goes around my neck.

And another thing, sometimes its great to take a break and not take pictures. Yoor mind is much like a camera, and most pictures are just reinforcements for yoor memory anyway. Its kind of dissapointing to only be really seeing a park only after having yoor pictures developed. And its actually sort of lilberating not to be stuck behind some itty bitty viewfinder all day.

Upvote 0

no2apprentice

You only have three cameras? We wound up with five on our last trip!:hammer:

And the one that took the best pictures: the good old 35mm SLR (also the biggest and heaviest).:)

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

And another thing, sometimes its great to take a break and not take pictures. ... Its kind of dissapointing to only be really seeing a park only after having yoor pictures developed. And its actually sort of lilberating not to be stuck behind some itty bitty viewfinder all day.

WOW!! I never thought I'd hear a "serious" photographer say this!

I see people who seem to miss the parade because they are so focused (hee hee) on getting the perfect shot. I've always believed that that is what postcards are for--especially for fireworks shots.

Perhaps I have a "bad" attitude from all the interminable frozen smiles while my dear father-in-law messed with his manual-everything camera.

This is also why I never take as many photos as I plan--I am too busy experiencing the vacation:(

In case you're interested--point & shoot 35 mm for me (Olympus). I also have an APS, but the 35mm takes better pix, and developing is cheaper.

Upvote 0

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I vowed never to take a video camera to WDW again after complaints from my tribe. However in 2000 i had a trip in a middle of a course and was required to take some stuff to work on after my holiday. During a trip to AK on day 3 on my 4th roll of the morning my good lady informed me that unless i stopped the camera would be inserted where it could only take x rays. So Copmpact for me on most days and the odd day with the good gear. It ensures harmony

Upvote 0

figmentmom

The first two years we went to WDW, we hauled around our very expensive camera. Every picture we took, we had stiff, frozen smiles on our faces. If we'd had a soundtrack, it would have gone something like this:

HUSBAND: C'mon, kids, hold it right there! I just have to focus this thing! It'll only take another minute or two!

KIDS: (whining) DAD!!! That's what you said an hour ago! No more pictures! We haven't even had time to go on any rides!

ME: (muttering to myself) Never, never, EVER again...

The following year, I "forgot" the fancy camera, and we went with the disposables. A much better time was had by all, and guess what - the pictures were LOTS better!

:hammer:

Upvote 0

mickeysaver

Well, we just bought our first video camera, so it's going with us to WDW in September. We also have been stockpiling disposable cameras. I had a 35mm Canon SLR that I took to Epcot once, boy did that stink. I can't imagine lugging that thing around all day and messing with all the features. I am a little hesitant about the video camera, but you have to try everything once. lol When we went to MGM last year, we took disposable cameras and it worked out perfectly. I have some great shots. I don't care about taking pictures of fireworks, but if we decide to do it, we would most likely use our video camera. Have a good trip! Mickey

PS - Great idea about labeling the disposable cameras with name and hotel/home address info!

Upvote 0

lens300

If you are going to take a disposible I would recommend that you make it a brand name ( Kodak, Fuji ) both have a full warranty against defects. If you buy a store labeled one you might get one reloaded with after market film that could be 1. to low of a speed for the camera it is loaded in.( Kodak uses 800 a reload might use 400) 2. the camera body might be damaged and let in some light and damage all of you pictures. 3. The battery for the flash is not new and might not work! 4. You dont know how the camera got to the country and could have been put in a container where it got exposed to a lot of heat which would wreak the film.
sorry to get off on a little rant but I work in the industry and see these everyday and see peoples reaction to there pictures and it isnt good.

Upvote 0

kal1484

I used to use disposible cameras all the time. I got one that had the ability to take panoramic shots. It was AWESOME. I decided to get a "real" camera. It's a Kodak Advantix. It has panoramic, regular, and group shots. It's REALLY durible. It's been dropped many times, including down stairs. I've taken it twice to band camp, and it's been left in the sun. The pictures are GREAT they are clear, and sharp, even after i murdered it. It's also really small. I just put the strap on my pant loop, and its just fine. It's the size of a small jello box. It only cost me 40 bucks, it's GREAT, the film is a little expensive, but if you can get to Sam's Club, you can get it cheap. I also use water cameras, they ROCK. I love them, especially if you are a teenager, you can get great pics. Well, that's my little say. Hope the trips is great!!

Upvote 0

Titanbull

When my wife and myselfwent to WDW last November, I bought a cheap little 35MM outfit for about $25-$30. I took about 8 rolls of film on that trip. I figured the point and shoot would be fine for what we wanted to accomplish. I had used SLRs for years prior but sold it during my college days for extra money. It always gave me excellent pictures. Anyway, when we got back and had the film developed, only about 2 rolls TOTAL actually turned out with decent pictures and the ones we could salvage were mediocre at best. We still have the memories but we would have liked the pictures to make them more clear and rember some details we may not remember. On the bright side, this was one of the determining factors of going back this Christmas.:D This time I will be buying a small digital camera or another SLR.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom